What have you done this week to forward your prepping goals 2022

A general discussion area for topics not specifically covered elsewhere on the board. NO politics. If the topic would fit it a specific section please post in that specific section.
Bmyers
Board Founder

Re: What have you done this week to forward your prepping goals 2022

Post by Bmyers »

David wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:16 pm Rottys make excellent dogs for the family!
He is our second one we have had. Since I'm not inventive with names, guess what the name of our first Rot was? Yep, Max. He was good dog, had him for 11 years until his hip failed.

Max 2.0 is much more active than the Max 1.0. This Max can clear the 4ft fence, has no fear, and can jump like kangaroo. Completely caught us off guard. He loves my wife. They go all over together, he loves to ride. The restaurants are getting use to seeing them pull up in the drive thru and he gets special treats everywhere he goes. Our Great Dane would get sick from treats, Max, he can eat ANYTHING. Prior to us realizing that he could get anywhere, he got a box of donuts, a bag full of left over dinner rolls, and some potato chips (we found the wrappings when we walked into the house). Never made him sick. Max has got an iron stomach.

Like our first Rot, we adopted him from the shelter and he has been with us now for about three months. The vet guessed he was between 1 1/2 to 2 years old when we adopted him.

Anyway, didn't mean to hijack the thread talking about our dog, but he will be a nice addition and he has already claimed our house as his, so once again I can sleep at night while he maintains watch.
bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

I went to the dentist twice. Very expensive. I have 5 appointments at Kaiser on Tuesday. Just checkups from head to toe. Never know when the politicians will again restrict access.

Lined up three more appointments with the dentist. Getting older is the pits, and beats the alternative.
Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

Dental health is an area that many will skip on unless it creates them a problem. I try to go twice a year to keep the teeth in shape. Both of my parents lost all their teeth in their late 30s, so I have tried to take better care of mine.

Plus, go dental health leads to better health overall.
bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

I did the world's record 5 visits at Kaiser. No charges. Will have a minor surgery on one finger. Routine. Called trigger finger. Had it done on the other hand.

Poor health care system. Kaiser lost billions during the 2 year shutdown. Now it is losing billions more. The 5 story parking structure was full. During the two years, the patients were not treated. The government tried to have only Wuhan flu patients treated at the hospital. Kaiser is an HMO and is paid a capitation fee. It is not insurance. So, the company (actually three corporations) have to provide all the care no matter what the cost. And things are worse for people who had treatments delayed.
Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

This afternoon will be time to breakout the generator, give it a good once over and run it for a little while. Check all the cans to make sure we are good.

Weather forecast is for 6 to 9 inches of snow, which isn't bad. The 1/4 inch of ice and another 1/4 of sleet is what has me worried. Could make for a few interesting days starting Tuesday night.
tom mac
Board Founder

Post by tom mac »

don't forget to put a load on the generator when running
You can't fix stupid !
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Bmyers wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:13 am This afternoon will be time to breakout the generator, give it a good once over and run it for a little while. Check all the cans to make sure we are good.

Weather forecast is for 6 to 9 inches of snow, which isn't bad. The 1/4 inch of ice and another 1/4 of sleet is what has me worried. Could make for a few interesting days starting Tuesday night.
Good reminder. I'm going to drag my genset out tomorrow and fire it up.
Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

tom mac wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:20 am don't forget to put a load on the generator when running
Yes sir. I usually throw a 500 watt light on it and a fan to make sure the everything is working correctly.

Gen has been checked out and ready. Snow blower checked out and ready. Snow shovels placed by the door. Ice melt ready. Wall heater turned on and ready. Vehicles stocked (sleeping bag, blanket, emergency snow chains, and shovel).

The funny part to me, yes I do this for the family, but the wife, daughter, and I all work within the distance of being able to walk home and be there in an hour (for me, 20 minute walk, 4 minute drive). Yet, since extended family and friends know that Uncle Brad and Aunt Rhonda are ready to go, guess who gets the phone calls when they are stuck in the ditches?

The only time I have needed help, I was stuck in my own driveway and had to get a tow truck to pull me out. Every place else we have been the ones coming to the rescue.

Also, checked on dad yesterday and made sure his fireplace was ready to go so if he loses power that he will be able to stay nice and warm.

Winter Storm Warning today, but we will wait to see what happens. Seems like the weatherman is wrong more than right, just hoping that he is wrong in the direction that it misses us and that we don't get worse.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Big snow headed our way as well
Cars gassed up and stocked=X
Gen set,tested,fueled and ready- X
Propane heaters cleaned and ready-X
Kerosene Heaters cleaned, tested, fueled and ready-X
Lights, lanterns charged and ready-X
Snow blowers* tested, gassed and ready-X

*I picked up a small Toro snow blower off the curb at trash day last summer. 2 cycle, 98cc/3 hp. It needed a new spark plug, fuel line, primer and the carburetor cleaned. I found a package with a new carburetor on Amazon for $15. Finally got around to swapping everything out a couple weeks ago and got it running. It worked good on the 2" of snow we got then. I think that one was made in 2009.

I have a much larger 2 cycle, 6.5 hp Ariens SB I picked off the curb the summer of 2020. Replaced the carb and spark plug on that one and got it running for last winter. When I dragged it out this year the wheel was frozen and then broke/fell off. I jury rigged it and got it on and turning. That one is a 30+ year old machine.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

The snowapocolypse was a bust. Maybe 4-5 inches yesterday, nothing today. Snow blowers worked fine. Walks have been cleared. We are GTG.