Lever action for prepping

The section on firearms, knives, bows, improvised and other weaponry. Defensive tactics, self defense, martial arts. Home and personal security. Includes ballistics, modifications and maintenance.
Bob
Board Founder

Re: Lever action for prepping

Post by Bob »

He was pulling the trigger fast - but I am HIGHLY suspicious he was hitting anything since he didn't show a target.
Ronin.45
Board Founder

Post by Ronin.45 »

xxo wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:22 am Some of the old military bolt guns are not so slow if ya know how to run 'em.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_a7pXWi6xo
That method of shooting the Enfield was more for groups of soldiers firing at mass enemy formations. Trying that in a self defense situation will probably just leave you with an empty gun and confused attacker. Volley fire is akin to medieval archery. Throw a bunch of projectiles at a big group and some of them are bound to hit something.
bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

There is a fair amount of quibbling.
After the disastrous 1962 war between the PRC and India, India retired the Enfield. In 2008, the local Indian police tried using the Enfield unsuccessfully against Pakistani terrorists and retired them.

Situational awareness, great optics, and superb physical conditioning, understanding ballistics and having a range finding device count.

The average engagement distance in WW1 was about 65 yards. In current urban fighting, the distance is about the same. Simple. Go to your front door and estimate the furthest distance you can see. Now get a semi auto .22 win mag.
aerynsun

Post by aerynsun »

I had a great post but I had to log in again for some reason and it wasn't there.

So look up lever action take down
Henry .223 rifle
How to shoot like a cowboy on youtube.
The Rifleman add on for rapid shootin.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Bob wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:44 pm 16 rounds of .357 coming at you. And fast, too.

Plus - likely to not be banned for a long, long time...

I forget what brand your rifle is Bob? Rossi? How's it working for you?

Caliber would be a good question for a lever gun. I don't have much experience with 30-30? Thoughts?
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
David
Administrator

Post by David »

A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Ronin.45
Board Founder

Post by Ronin.45 »

The magnum revolver cartridges can do some amazing things out of a long barrel. I still think a .357 makes the most sense because it has the best options for pairing with a revolver.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

I wonder if there is such an animal as a 357sig in a PCC or lever action?

Edited to add: Well, I guess there is :)

https://moriartiarmaments.com/ar-.357-sig/

Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

I've hunted with the 30-30 for a bunch of years. I've also hunted with the 44 mag out of both a rifle and pistol. I kind of became enamored with the 44 mag again after testing loads to take to Alaska in my Ruger Redhawk. When I got home I picked up a couple 44 mag rifles and started reloading for it again.

I've always said that "bigger is better". In the 30-30 the 170 gr bullets are better than 150 gr.

In 44 mag, I've used both 240 gr and the Hornady 225 gr FTX bullets. IMO, the 225 gr works well but bigger is still better, so the 240 gr is better.

On deer, I would opt for the 30-30 simply because it's flatter shooting and good out to 200-250 yards. The 44 mag is typically limited to 100-150 yards. I'll have to look at my ballistics charts to get the actual drop at longer ranges.

For just about anything else the 44 mag, matched with a handgun in the same caliber is hard to beat. The 44 mag out of rifles is a completely different animal than out of a pistol. The same ammo can be used in both so the better performance out of a rifle is a nice bonus. I've taken 4 deer with 44 mag rifles and one with a 44 mag pistol.

Of course you can say the same thing about the 357 mag out of a rifle and pistol as well.
aerynsun

Post by aerynsun »