Building a new home

The place to gather and chat about any and all topics not covered elsewhere on the board.
Bmyers
Board Founder

Re: Building a new home

Post by Bmyers »

Will the be storm shelter built into the house? Up here seems like most have basements and that is our default storm shelter.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Bmyers wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:24 am Will the be storm shelter built into the house? Up here seems like most have basements and that is our default storm shelter.
After Hurricane Andrew the codes were revised, actually several times. So the house has a hurricane rated garage door and all the windows/doors/openings are drilled for the included metal shutters. There are no basements in Florida because the aquifer in Florida is so close to the surface.

We went out to the property last night around 6pm and they were delivering our blocks. We will be heading out later as they are suppose to be putting them up today.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

Interesting. I didn't realize that about Florida and basements.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Bmyers wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:01 pm Interesting. I didn't realize that about Florida and basements.
You can do something that is completely sealed and self-contained, like a pool. And maybe certain buildings have a sub-floor built in. But I don't know of any homes that actually have a basement. Maybe north Florida? It just isn't a thing here like other states that have basements/cellars.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

No underground bunkers for you!!! ;)
David
Administrator

Post by David »

That's okay, nobody else has one either :D

David
Administrator

Post by David »

We have walls!

View from our front door.

My buddy came to watch the action right off our backyard.

Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

Coming together very nicely
fishingjeff
Board Founder

Post by fishingjeff »

Looks like supper is soaking. Just the right size for a BBQ.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

He was on the bank this afternoon sunning himself almost in my backyard. Tried to take a photo but he saw me and zipped back into the water.