The canteen/water bottle thread

The area to discuss BOB's, EDC's, GHB's and other gear. Also includes Comms and other radio topics.
David
Administrator

The canteen/water bottle thread

Post by David »

What kind of canteen(s) and/or water bottle(s) do you use, and for what purposes?

I have two or three of the 1qt military style canteens including the covers .

Inexpensive and they work fine for a hike or tossing in the car as part of the GHB water supply. And of course portable.

I also have a couple of military issue 2 Quart canteens in the insulated carrier and sling. Also great for a hike and that was my primary reason for getting a couple. Have one of these in my GHB water supply.

I have a couple of the Pathfinder SS bottles.

https://www.selfrelianceoutfitters.com/ ... 820614337

I've gotten a lot of use out of this stainless steel water bottle over the years on hikes and at SEP gatherings. Very rugged and durable.

One of my favorite bottles by far is the Camelbak. I have three of them and I usually have one with me when I'm out shopping or doing errands, particularly in the summer. Not sure why I like these bottles so much, but I do. Had them for years and they're rugged and fill the bill.

Also have a couple of Camelbak Chutes which are the insulated version. Keeps them from sweating when I'm driving around.

A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Jackal359

Re: The canteen/water bottle thread

Post by Jackal359 »

I like the standard type military canteen, i spend abit more on the 1.2lt stainless steel version with cup.

I also have acouple of the 2qt plastic type i keep in the trunk of my car and 6 more with the family BOB's. Does anyone one know of a source for this type in stainless steel? not the biggest fan of aluminium.

For BOB and camping the missus and myself have stainless steel kelly kettles 1.2 and 1.6lt respectively
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Jackal359 wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:25 am Does anyone one know of a source for this type in stainless steel? not the biggest fan of aluminium.
I'm generally seeing the SS versions on Amazon/Ebay in the mid-$20 range along with the cup.

https://www.amazon.com/Pinty-Stainless- ... 504&sr=8-3
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Strayz

Post by Strayz »

I have kinda went a different direction. I have decided to keep a case of fresh water in my rig and rotate (drink) it as I need it. I do know they are not a durable as a canteen, but how long has your water been in there and what color is it? Can we say algee everyone? LOL.

Seriously I think with BOB, or GHB, or NCB thoughts that one should keep it empty and clean and fill up if something happens. At least that is my plan, not perfect but I am not supper worried about having to walk home with no water. On the plus side you don't have to drink from a canteen filled up from 1986 during your first Van Halen concert.

Also the gatorade or electrolyte packages put in your kit for good measure sounds like a good idea too. A life straw or sawyer filter don't sound terrible either.
Sometimes things need to be said, Other times things must be done.
ratf51
Board Founder

Post by ratf51 »

Excellent thread! For the past decade or so my standard canteens have been nalgene bottles. I need to shift to a stainless canteen. So I am all sorts of happy to see the recommendations in this thread. I was unaware (as I am with so many things-- ignorance is bliss) that the old army type canteen is available in stainless.
Gnepig
Board Founder

Post by Gnepig »

I use a Stainless bottle with the wide mouth. The wide mouth so I can use it with a lifestraw or other straw type filters. In stainless so it can be put in the fire to boil questionable water sourced from ponds/rivers/ditches if needed. And bottle shaped so it can fit in the pocket.
I don't fill until needed and usually carry a Smartwater bottle full also when heading out for some extended woods fun...

I have the 40oz Klean canteen bottle also.
... Just a Dude...
aerynsun

Post by aerynsun »

I'd say consider the weight and amount of water you are carrying.

Look into a combination of camelbak and a wide mouth plastic bottle. The weight to carrying capacity is greater.
Smoke

Post by Smoke »

I used to have a job working nights as a roving security guard for the city. I've found a half a dozen good quality jugs, mugs and water bottles doing that. I found a half gallon Ozark Trail steel vacuum jug full of coffee in the street at work one night. I took it home and scrubbed it and filled it with boiling water and I've been using it at work ever since. I've found a half a dozen of the 25 dollar insulated Starbucks Coffee mugs that people have left behind all over town. For hiking I have a Camelback hydration pack.