Bang for the buck

Flashlights, lanterns, torches and anything that sheds a little light for your path.
Ronin.45
Board Founder

Bang for the buck

Post by Ronin.45 »

I know we've discussed cheap vs expensive on several topics before, but I can't recall one about flashlights. I was discussing Modlite on Facebook yesterday and there seems to be a very fervent fanbase for them. It strikes me as very similar to other categories like guns, suppressors, knives, etc. Some people get so wrapped up in a brand or ideology that they can't see when they are getting fleeced.
I was around when Surefire was the only real option. We had been using maglites for years. They were oversized and underpowered compared to these newfangled wonders from surefire. The G2 nitrolon was an affordable light at $35 and was pretty impressive at 65 lumens. Many of us immediately got a few for nightstand duty, vehicle, competition, etc. Those who could afford it stepped up to the aluminum models that pumped out a blinding 120 lumens. These were world's apart from the lights we were used to.
With the advancements in LED and battery technology, the next decade was an arms race of output and durability. Companies popped up offering 200, 400, 800, 1000 lumens. The LEDs didn't get as hot as the old incandescent bulbs and could survive a drop a lot better.
As power went up, prices came down... for the most part. While Streamlight was offer top quality for reasonable prices, Surefire stayed at the top end of the market. Even someone like myself, who was a huge Surefire fan, had to admit that the gap between quality was getting very narrow while the gap in price wasn't.
Over time I had switched to all Streamlight and didn't look back. The days of a $200+ handheld or $350 mounted weaponlight being worthwhile purchases were gone.
Since then I've been really impressed with Olight and most of my current selection is from them. Really nice pocket lights from $20-50 and weaponlights from $50-100. These outputs, features, and , quality are comparable to any big name at 20-50% of the cost.
After seeing Modlite mentioned, I checked them out and was amazed to see that they were offering large-ish EDC lights at around $350!
I studied a little and even inquired online to see what made them special. The gist of it is, they have better throw. So for an outrageously exorbitant price, you can gain a capability that is mostly unneeded for any kind of EDC use. If I want a bigger EDC light designed to throw, I can get a Warrior X for under $100 that will reach any distance I could reasonable expect.
Bmyers
Board Founder

Re: Bang for the buck

Post by Bmyers »

I know I'm a big fan of the Olight. The price is right, the quality is good, and the selection is wonderful. I like Streamlight and have a few of those lights and they have lasted well, but for the cost, it was worth the change.
Ronin.45
Board Founder

Post by Ronin.45 »

Bmyers wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:36 am I know I'm a big fan of the Olight. The price is right, the quality is good, and the selection is wonderful. I like Streamlight and have a few of those lights and they have lasted well, but for the cost, it was worth the change.
I still have some Streamlights too. After getting well stocked with Olights I added several of my Microstream and Stylus lights to the prize table at one of my matches. People were very pleased to win some nice little pocket lights.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Olight has gained a very respectable reputation and I don't think I've come across a bad review. Several of the usual-suspect gun/light reviewers on YT speak very highly of them (Sootch00, Mrgunsngear etc.).

I've been a fan of Nitecore products. I have the EA11, EC11 and SRT3 (which I purchased for a song from Racer here on the board). Somewhat pricier but come with a lot of nice features.

For 18650 tube lights you're going to find it very hard to beat the Convoy S2+, BLF A6 or Astrolux S1. For about $20 bucks (or less in the case of Convoy) you're going to get 1200-1600 lumens (500 for Convoy) in a package that fits in your pocket. They make very strong clips and adapters if you want to decrease the size to an 18350 tube. Pound for pound it's going to be hard to beat.

Then there is the Sipik SK68 and the SK98 variety of lights. You can occasionally find an SK68 on Ebay or a buck or so. A Sipik for around $5 or less sometimes. There are a gazillion clones of the Sipik which itself is a clone of some other light that is no longer made. For a couple of buck the SK68 is an inexpensive workhorse. On a single AA you'll get maybe as high as 80 lumens. Pump it up to around 300 lumens on a 14500. I have SK68's from years ago still plugging along. I gave one to my handyman for a hard-use test and after a year or so he was still using it. Gave one to his son that crapped out after about a year. But for a couple of bucks it's the light you can get 10 or 20 of and stock a drawer. If you lose one or it craps out after a year or so you simply reach into the drawer and grab another. You don't feel the loss as it's a fairly powerful, cheap and almost disposable light. Sometimes a bit of a lottery from the PRC but you can get a 'good' one for about $5 that should last for years. Hard to beat for a glove box/walk the dog/throw in the BOB type light.

Consider a 5D cell mag light (incandescent bulb) only pumped out (IIRC) 39 lumens, a SK68 with a AA pumping out 80ish lumens for a buck or two is pretty stellar.

Lowes has those Frogg lights for $4.99 in the impulse buy section at the register. Great little lights to toss in the glove box. Magnetic end makes it a nice 'change the tire' light as well.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
xxo

Post by xxo »

Don't count out the newer Maglite LEDs. The ML25's(C cell twisties) are great for general use at around $20 and the ML50's (C cell) and Ml300's (D cell)are great valuers as well. The ML50's and ML300's have electronic switches, programmable function sets, very good heat sinking and a quick focus system that puts them ahead of the the old Mags....designed to run on common alkaline batteries, but I run mine on Li-Ions in 3D printed adapters.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

I mentioned the Frogg light from Lowes in my above post. Sharing this link to a thread I started about the Mule light;

http://sepboard.us/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=224

The mule light is a great idea, but pricey. You can essentially make your own Frogg light for a fraction of the price by buying a Frogg light (or similar from variety of sources) and a GloStik (or something similar).
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
bdc
Board Founder

Post by bdc »

Ordered another 10 sipik sk68 lights, purportedly under $3 each, delivered, not including tax from a source with which I have done business over the years.
maypo59

Post by maypo59 »

We have a dozen or so of the sk68 clones, been around the house for a long time. have not had one fail yet.. pretty happy about that. Think I got them at $4 each.

Also a fan of Nitecore. Several around. Only one I am not totally happy with is a EC-1. It somehow eats it's battery even if turned all the way off. I just swap in a fresh charged 123 every Monday.. pain, but other then that, it's a great light.
bdc
Board Founder

Post by bdc »

I have an order in for another 10 Sipik SK68 lights with a bulk discount.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

maypo59 wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:19 am We have a dozen or so of the sk68 clones, been around the house for a long time. have not had one fail yet.. pretty happy about that. Think I got them at $4 each.

Also a fan of Nitecore. Several around. Only one I am not totally happy with is a EC-1. It somehow eats it's battery even if turned all the way off. I just swap in a fresh charged 123 every Monday.. pain, but other then that, it's a great light.
Looking at reviews, it seems others have the same issue with the EC1 draining batteries. I know I twist the end cap on my EC11 and EA11 when I'm not using them, otherwise they have a slow drain as well. Other than that it seems like a great little light. I know I really like my three Nitecore lights (EA11, EC11 and SRT3).

But yeah, for the $ it's hard to beat a Sipik/SK68 clone. I've gotten some as cheap as a buck or two over the years.