My 3D Maglite: RIP

Flashlights, lanterns, torches and anything that sheds a little light for your path.
Bob
Board Founder

My 3D Maglite: RIP

Post by Bob »

I decided I was going to do a little gear check / refurb on my 3D Maglite. I was cleaning out the bedside draw where it lives.

First thing I noticed was the button top was missing. No worries - apparently this happens and they are readily available on Amazon!

Next - I checked for an LED upgrad. These were available too! More win.

Then, I decided to change out the batteries...and here is where it all went wrong.

Tried turning the cap by hand. Tried with a pair of pliers. Added tape and tried pliers again. Tried a pipe wrench. Wouldn't budge. I checked online and as it turns out this is a thing, and it means the batteries melted down in there. Once you get it open, cleaning is an option, but I decided to call it a day. after 30+ years, time for the trash. Ah well, it served a fine useful life.

New 3D + LED is around 60 dollars, so I'm waiting a bit. I have more than enough lights to get me through, and better clubs. Butr no club/light combo nearly as useful, sturdy, or iconic!

Lesson learned - Maglites are not indestructible!!!
bdcochran

Re: My 3D Maglite: RIP

Post by bdcochran »

Dave is the flashlight guru.

Comments follow:
1. I used to have a pile of maglights. I still have some stuck away unused. Time has made the 3 D cell maglight obsolete.
2. I looked on Amazon and if you insist on something similar in size using D cell, the cost is $10 and no shipping charge if you spend $35.
3. D cell alkaline battery comments;
a. alkalines leak
b. rechargeables don't leak.
c. if a person insists of D cell, there is a flexible approach. You can use rechargeable AA batteries with a D cell holder insert that will work in a 3 D cell flashlight. Given that quality rechargeables can be recharged 500 plus times and AA have more uses than D cell, it might an attractive approach.
4. old D cell size maglight size. You can obtain a same length flashlight with higher lumens that better fits the hand. Dave will have suggestions.
I bought a couple of 3 foot flashlights for $15 each that take rechargeable AA batteries and it would serve as an aluminum car club!. Came from the same Chinese mfg. as the ones selling for $50 each by a former "CIA agent" who puts his logo on at the same factory.Image
Safe payments
Secure logistics
Secure privacy
Purchase protection
Temu keeps you safe
hot sale
LED Flashlight Baseball Bat, High Hardness Aluminum Alloy, Energy Saving, Requires AA Batteries (Not Included)
(4.1K+sold), by
Firecode light (4.1K+ Sold)
$12.59
$47.41
-73‏%
l***sPut one in the car & one by the side of the bed. Nice feel and grip. Light very bright.
s***8The light is strong, useful to blind the attacker. The flash mode even better. Need 4 AA size batteries. Easy to load by opening the screws at the tip. , definitely recommend
Add to Cart
All details
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Thumping someone with a maglite is really old school. I have two or three laying around the house. One is a rechargeable maglight I bought back in the 80s when I was on the railroad police. It was super bright but neither of the battery packs hold a charge anymore. It was equivalent in size to a 3 cell ML. I think it cost $100 back then so it was a big investment for a lowly "railroad dick" (detective). I did thump a few gang bangers with it back in the day.

To bob.. please don't throw that Maglight away. Fix it or use the body as a suppressor host.

Hey, I found them. The red one apparently is my wife's "hey, you found my flashlight" she said when I brought it out. They are all the same size, the picture angle makes them look different. The regular black one has a bicycle inner tube grip on it but's it kind of dry rotted and splitting.

Edited to add...

Darn you Bob :x :x :x

Now I'm looking on Amazon for a new battery pack for my rechargable and LED bulbs for my other MLs. They are monstrosities but it would be cool to get them up and running again. :D
Last edited by Mac66 on Wed Sep 04, 2024 5:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Those magllights brings back memories...

Bonus: Magcharger flashlight /Rail dick story

Was checking freight cars in the main rail yard in Detroit late one night when the local police radio broadcast an alert of an armed robbery at a restaurant across the street at the other end of the yard. Gave a description of the 2 robbers. We had a mutual aid channel with Detroit PD. Thinking they could have run into the rail yard I started walking in that direction and looking around. It's a big yard but after a while I saw what looked to be a pile of clothes under one of the trains.

Any good dick knows that nothing is allowed under trains between the tracks. So I after finding cover and concealment I lit them up with my very bright magcharger light and announced in my very best command voice. "We have you surrounded. Give up and come out."

And....they did.

When I got to them they said "WTF, one guy? We thought you were a patrol car. We'd of shot your ass if we'd knowed you was one guy." They had the loot and guns on them.

So that bright light fooled them into thinking it was spotlight on a patrol car (DPD always ran 2 man cars) and may have saved me or them from a bad situation.

And I got reprimanded for not calling for backup. :lol:
Erich

Post by Erich »

Great thread. My 3D LED Mag-Lite lives alongside the bed (along with a bunch of smaller, brighter lights - nothing succeeds like excess - and right next to where the light-equipped handgun magnets on at bedtime) in case I decide I want to "TONK!" something. I just checked the batteries and they're dated "3/2018," so I might want to do something about that (light works great still, but . . . ).

Wow, I just looked up when I bought it (because of the battery dates): 2011! :o I recall it's been to Paris with me . . .
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

Again, an ok light, but a GREAT lighted club.
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

bdcochran wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2024 9:29 pm
a. alkalines leak
c. if a person insists of D cell, there is a flexible approach. You can use rechargeable AA batteries with a D cell holder insert that will work in a 3 D cell flashlight. Given that quality rechargeables can be recharged 500 plus times and AA have more uses than D cell, it might an attractive approach.
That right there. I did not know...interesting.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Bob wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2024 9:51 pm
bdcochran wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2024 9:29 pm
a. alkalines leak
That right there. I did not know...interesting.
BD is correct. You can place a rechargeable AA into a D cell holder. It would be interesting to see the run times.

Another option is to use non-alkaline batteries in Maglites. Generally less expensive and they have a decent run time for emergencies and the don't leak like alkaline batteries are prone to do.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

Such as what batteries?