AR 15s

The section on firearms, knives, bows, improvised and other weaponry. Defensive tactics, self defense, martial arts. Home and personal security. Includes ballistics, modifications and maintenance.
Mac66
Board Founder

AR 15s

Post by Mac66 »

I posted an AR15 on a local gun forum in response to someone asking about an old school basic AR. He liked it so much that he offered to buy it from me. I said okay, we agreed upon a price and a time/date to meet. He never showed and I've not heard from him (despite repeated attemps to contact him) since. Oh well....

Anyway, since I had it out and haven't shot it in about 20 years I took it up to the woods house and ran a few mags through it. It has iron sights.

Man, I'm getting old, can't see the front sight anymore. Still managed to get all the shots on a 10" paper plate at 50 yards by squinting and estimating where the sight was.

I built this probably 25 years ago. Not really a retro build or an M4. Just a basic flat top AR carbine. With the cost of ammo these days I probably haven't shot an AR in 10 years. It was kinda fun but I'm going to have to put an optic of some kind on it.
David
Administrator

Re: AR 15s

Post by David »

Mac66 wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 6:09 pm I posted an AR15 on a local gun forum in response to someone asking about an old school basic AR. He liked it so much that he offered to buy it from me. I said okay, we agreed upon a price and a time/date to meet. He never showed and I've not heard from him (despite repeated attemps to contact him) since. Oh well....
I've had that happen a time or two. It sucks and just wastes the time.

I've put a couple of pistols on Florida Gun Trader recently just to see if I got any bites. Nothing but tire kickers and scammers. That BST site has seriously gone down hill. And I'm not going to pay for Armslist because I don't BST like I use to so it's not worth it.

Sold both of my AR's several years ago along with my shotguns. Just have the Sub 2K's now. But did enjoy the AR's when I had them.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

David wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 11:34 pm
Mac66 wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 6:09 pm I posted an AR15 on a local gun forum in response to someone asking about an old school basic AR. He liked it so much that he offered to buy it from me. I said okay, we agreed upon a price and a time/date to meet. He never showed and I've not heard from him (despite repeated attemps to contact him) since. Oh well....
I've had that happen a time or two. It sucks and just wastes the time.

I've put a couple of pistols on Florida Gun Trader recently just to see if I got any bites. Nothing but tire kickers and scammers. That BST site has seriously gone down hill. And I'm not going to pay for Armslist because I don't BST like I use to so it's not worth it.

Sold both of my AR's several years ago along with my shotguns. Just have the Sub 2K's now. But did enjoy the AR's when I had them.

I didn't really put that one up for sale just responded to a thread about basic ARs. He liked it and asked if I would sell it.

I have 7 or 8 ARs plus stripped receivers and parts kits. Most I built from parts but I do have a S&W ORC (optics ready carbine) that was a retirement gift and a Ruger SR762 (.308) I won in a contest.

I have upgraded most of them over the years as better components became available i.e, Free float handguards, sights, optics etc.

I wouldn't mind selling all but 2 or 3 of them and use the money for tractor implements or something else for the property.
Erich

Post by Erich »

I just put another lower together - dropped in a CMC single-stage trigger yesterday, and I'm looking forward to getting the upper built and trying it out. One little bit at a time . . .
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

ARs are a sickness, once you start building them you can't stop.

The only two I didn't build is the S&W ORC on the right side which was a retirement gift and the Ruger SR762 on the bottom which I won in a contest. The vertical rifle on the far left is a match service rifle I built. This is just few of them. I started building back in the 80's and have reconfigured some a few times and different components became available like free floating handguards and optics. The top one no longer looks like that. The second from the top is an ultralight build which weighs barely 4 lbs. I also have a number of other lowers, parts kits, pistols, barrels etc.

The problem is that the market for ARs is saturated with cheap uppers and lowers and you can buy complete carbines for less than $400 in some cases. I tried to sell the match service rifle and couldn't give it away.
Gnepig
Board Founder

Post by Gnepig »

I found that a splotch of bright red paint at the top of that little pin helps me to see it better.

I have one that looks like your "match service rifle"= it's my favorite, altho the wife's Colt carbine is damn nice.
The latest being an AR shotgun, I think I have 6 now...
... Just a Dude...
tom mac
Board Founder

Post by tom mac »

Gnepig wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 11:41 pm found that a splotch of bright red paint at the top of that little pin helps me to see it better.
I use the white correction fluid ( like for a typewriter ), comes with a small brush and is bright white ( but comes off if wanted )

As to ARs, always wanted one but in NY, they are all crippled versions... or you can buy a ruger ranch rifle.
Since I have a few M1 carbines, I felt it wasn't worth it and the m1 is straight walled, so easy to reload.
You can't fix stupid !
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

I have one AR, My Zombie Pistol. Mostly as an excuse to
a) Have fun
b) Have a 223/556 weapon for breadth
c) Have some 223/556 ammo/mags on hand

That said, I do enjoy it. I think having a cheap basic AR might not be a bad thing. A friends/family SD/HD gun.

And of course, a 9mm AR platform, for a PCC - might really be the way to go.

Of course, I'd rather have another basic AK too. That's where I stack ammo deep. One solid wood AK or and Underfolder for compact if needed...lot of reliability there. And a Draco, and a Dragonov, and a TAc'd out AK, and .....