Fitness revisited

Preparedness starts with good health. Section for all things health and exercise related. Including discussions of current events in the world of health and medicine.
Mac66
Board Founder

Fitness revisited

Post by Mac66 »

Jan 10

Still struggling getting back into keto but I've been doing the 30 minute room (cardio and weight machine circuit) at Planet Fitness for about 3 weeks every other day.

On alternate days I've worked up to an hour of cardio i.e, 15* mins each on the elliptical, bike, stair stepper and then treadmill. I pretty much do something every day except when I'm at the woods house. Then I'm pretty much cutting, stacking wood, working in the barn on the tractor, mini bikes or ATV or walking around checking the trail cameras. I'm staying pretty active.

As I get back into shape I'll start doing more/heavier weight work but right now I'm just trying to get back into some sort of condition. The 30 minute room is a fast intense workout which keeps one from spending hours in the gym. You can increase the weight on the machines and the speed of the cardio stuff as you get fit without increasing the time spent. It's real convenient.

*now 18 minutes. At one time I was up to 30 mins each.
* bumped it up to 20 minutes on 1/14 for each exercise. And bumped the 30 minute weights up as well. Just starting to get back into shape a little bit.
Last edited by Mac66 on Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mac66
Board Founder

Re: Fitness revisited

Post by Mac66 »

Jan 23
Now up to 90 mins doing cardio and two 30 min rounds i.e. 1 hour in the 30 min room. One round using heavy weights, one round of light weights.

Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:52 am
Did 100 minutes...4 exercises x25 mins cardio yesterday.

30 min room x 2 today, both rounds, heavy weights.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:59 pm
100 minutes cardio today. 25 mins x4

Heading to the Florida house on Saturday for a week, then a week long cruise, then another week at the house then home. Not going to be able to work out so I'm taking the workout I did at home during Covid when the gym was closed. Got to get/stay in shape for my knee surgery on Feb 28.

Basically replicates the 30 minute room. i.e, 60 second intervals with 30 second rest in between. I was doing 3 sets (about 50 mins) but I think I will start with one (about 16 mins) or maybe 2 sets (32) to begin with. I should be able to do 2 sets right off the bat, we'll see.

Right foot steps (elevated platform)
Pushups
Left foot steps
Sit ups
Right foot knee kicks
Planks
Left foot knee kicks
weights... curl,press, extensions
Side steps
weights.... rows R
Leg thrusts
weights....Rows L

I know no one really cares :D but writing it down and documenting it keeps me on track
Last edited by Mac66 on Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:36 am

So...we're down in Florida now for 3 weeks.
My son and his wife have been here at the house for a week but are leaving tomorrow.

We got up yesterday (Sunday) morning after driving down on Saturday and went for a long walk to stretch our legs. Then went to the pool to swim but mostly to try out a new diving mask to make sure it fit for the cruise and scuba diving I'm doing next week.

The pool is near the pickle ball courts and my son/DIL have been playing all week. They went out and bought paddles.

So they taught us how to play. I have a little issue with my bad knee but was able to hang for two games. Once you learn how to do it you don't have to move around as much. It's kind of like ping pong. It was a lot of fun. A little bit stiff and sore this morning from unused muscles but will probably play again today though we have tee times for golf this afternoon.

What a difference in weather between Michigan, it was 21 degrees when we left Saturday and 84 in Florida yesterday.

The point is up north the only thing to do is go to the gym. Down here at the Villages there are a lot of things to keep you active.
Last edited by Mac66 on Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:22 pm

I haven't done my planned workouts but have been doing the "fitness trail" the villages has. Its basically an outdoor circuit training setup using machines. Kind of basic exercises but a pretty good workout. I've been using the minute go, half minute rest method.

Did it yesterday (before golf) and today.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Fitness trail today. Golf tomorrow. Maybe some more pickle ball.

Pickle ball is big on cruise ships now so maybe we'll play on board next week. They have open PB every morning at 9 am, tournaments around noon.
Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

I have been hitting Planet Fitness three times a week. 20 minutes on the machines, 30 minutes on the treadmill, and 10 minutes in the massage bed.

Lost a few inches around the waist line, but still a long ways to go. My wife pointed out if I would just eat a little better that it would make a huge difference, yet I like my food.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Bmyers wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 2:49 pm I have been hitting Planet Fitness three times a week. 20 minutes on the machines, 30 minutes on the treadmill, and 10 minutes in the massage bed.

Lost a few inches around the waist line, but still a long ways to go. My wife pointed out if I would just eat a little better that it would make a huge difference, yet I like my food.
Congrats...

I've lost 12 lbs without really dieting just by working out the last month. Unfortunately I have to get on a cruise ship tomorrow for a week. Invariably I will eat and drink too much.

We try to do a lot of walking and try to get to the gym on board as well. However we have stops 4 days in a row. I'm going diving on 3 of them. And cave tubing on the 4th.

Then back to the Florida house for a week them home to Michigan and knee replacement surgery the last day of the month.

I continue to exercise every day in preparation for the surgery .
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Good on you both. I miss the days of getting out to the garage for a workout.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

My weight has stayed about the same (within 5lbs of the initial start), but pant size has gone down two sizes and several of my button up shirts are no longer stretching in the middle with buttons that look like if they would snap, could kill someone. So, I guess I'm doing something right.