How much does others affect your opinion?

The section on firearms, knives, bows, improvised and other weaponry. Defensive tactics, self defense, martial arts. Home and personal security. Includes ballistics, modifications and maintenance.
Bmyers
Board Founder

How much does others affect your opinion?

Post by Bmyers »

I bring this question up because of my wife's recent trips with the nieces and grand-nieces. As most know we have settled on the Glock platform. The short story, the Glock platform is what my WIFE picked. We had/have S&W, Springfield Armory, Ruger, to name just a few. She tried different ones and she ended up liking the Glock and that is what we ended up standardizing on.

She has been taking the girls to ladies night at the range and they get to use all the different guns there for free. It also helps, this is where we shot one of the IDPA matches so the wife has shot with the people that run the range and they are very comfortable with her shooting any of the guns and even let her use their personal guns to show to the girls.

Yet, after shooting several different models, the girls have decided that they want a gun like the wife. They shoot it fine, but I just wonder if they are picking the gun because of the wife or if they truly like the Glock more than the other guns? My guess is since it works and meets their needs and they trust the wife's judgement, that is why they are picking Glock.

Just sitting here thinking while waiting for breakfast.
David
Administrator

Re: How much does others affect your opinion?

Post by David »

I think folks tend to gravitate towards things that people they respect and trust use or suggest. At least a positive influence. However, you mention that they've had the opportunity to use different guns as well so at least they have some comparison information to form an opinion.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Ronin.45
Board Founder

Post by Ronin.45 »

I agree with Dave. If someone you trust suggests something, or chose it for themselves, you'll naturally put more consideration towards it. The best you can do as a "mentor" is show them as many options as possible and be honest about the advantages and disadvantages of each. Explain what made you choose the one you did and why it may or may not be a good choice for them.
In the end, if they follow your lead, you can rest assured that it was an informed decision and they at least ended up with a quality gun.
The problems appear when new shooters take advice from casual shooters or gun owners that aren't knowledgeable enough to pick their own gun, let alone dole out advice.
I've seen people talking 5' 100lb women into carrying full size 1911s or Glock 21s because "45 is the best manstopper". Or the guy with a Lorcin 25ACP that's never seen it's second box of ammo telling his buddy how reliable it is and easy to carry. We've all seen or heard about the asshole who hands a new shooter a Desert Eagle or 500S&W and scares them away from shooting entirely.
GT4494

Post by GT4494 »

My first priorities in firearms were to get ones in a caliber that ammo will always be available. Currently 9mm Nato and .556. this being said 2nd on the list proven reliability when in the most unfavorable conditions. 3rd was a platform that has the greatest changeability of parts,

These are the reasons I chose Glock 9mm platform. the 19,26,17, all have interchangeable trigger sets, firing pins etc. The magazines from the longer handled are usable in anything shorter and there is always the 30rd mag to fall back on.

My logic others will vary!
ratf51
Board Founder

Post by ratf51 »

I do actively seek the opinion of people I trust. I take into consideration what they have, what they actually use, and what they have had or used. I also take into consideration whether or not they are within the sphere of people who I would trust or have supportive interaction within a, for lack of a better term, SHTF scenario. I look for patterns within those people re: firearms-- is there commonality of weapon (Glock? S&W?), of specific weapon (G23 or G19? G43 or Sig P365?), of ammo (9mm? 40S&W? .45ACP?) etc. I was already well on my way with my stuff before I began to really think in these terms. Because of that I have what I have. That said, this has really come into play with what I see as my next gun purchase-- something in the G43/P365 category. I have friends and family that have G43s and that is a significant influence. It means that if I get one there is commonality of pistol and ammo with multiple people. I have shot one and I like it. The downside is that most of those people are 2+ hours away. And I think that a P365 has greater appeal and functionality with its higher capacity than a 43. So, when I can I will almost certainly spring for a P365.
ratf51
Board Founder

Post by ratf51 »

GT4494 wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:32 pm My first priorities in firearms were to get ones in a caliber that ammo will always be available. Currently 9mm Nato and .556. this being said 2nd on the list proven reliability when in the most unfavorable conditions. 3rd was a platform that has the greatest changeability of parts,

These are the reasons I chose Glock 9mm platform. the 19,26,17, all have interchangeable trigger sets, firing pins etc. The magazines from the longer handled are usable in anything shorter and there is always the 30rd mag to fall back on.

Oh, I just noticed that this is your first post. Welcome aboard!
David
Administrator

Post by David »

GT4494 wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:32 pm My first priorities in firearms were to get ones in a caliber that ammo will always be available. Currently 9mm Nato and .556. this being said 2nd on the list proven reliability when in the most unfavorable conditions. 3rd was a platform that has the greatest changeability of parts,

Your logic is quite sound. This is something that Bmyers and I have discussed before. Glock is pretty much a prepper's perfect platform. All bias aside, Glock simply has one of the strongest reputations for durability, reliability and functionality under adverse conditions. The interchangeability is strong amongst the generations and the aftermarket support is second to none. I'm thinking of the full, compact and sub-compact double stack platforms moreso than the single-stack Glocks.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

The niece and one of friends singed up for their carry class In February. So, two more young ladies that will have taken steps to be better prepared to protect themselves.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Bmyers wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:24 pm The niece and one of friends singed up for their carry class In February. So, two more young ladies that will have taken steps to be better prepared to protect themselves.
Excellent! Is a range session required? If so, what are they going to use?

Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

David wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:22 pm
Bmyers wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:24 pm The niece and one of friends singed up for their carry class In February. So, two more young ladies that will have taken steps to be better prepared to protect themselves.
Excellent! Is a range session required? If so, what are they going to use?
Yes, you have 16 hours of training you have to do. Obviously, most of it is classroom time. Then you have to go to the range and fire 10 rounds at 5 yards, 10 at 7 yards, and 10 at 10 yards. You have to have a 70% to pass. They based the range test on the Illinois State Police test (ISP is timed and comes from a holster and have to have 70%).

My understanding is that they are going to use the wife's Glock 42 for the test. As part of the range training, the instructor requires them to practice drawing from a holster and firing. So, they will be using the wife's setup since it meets the class requirements. As far as the law goes, they can use any firearm they want to pass the qualification and then carry any other firearm they would like. The range qualification is looking at basic skill set to make sure an individual has that.