Blinky functions

Flashlights, lanterns, torches and anything that sheds a little light for your path.

Do you like blinky functions like SOS, strobe and beacon on your flashlights? Specifically an EDC.

Yes
60%
No
40%

Total votes: 5

David
Administrator

Blinky functions

Post by David »

One of the features I look for in an EDC flashlight is blinky functions like SOS, Strobe and Beacon. Some don't like blinky functions, and I can understand that if you have to cycle through them to get to the functions you want. But if they are accessible without being a pain I think they could be invaluable from an emergency preparedness perspective. Whenever I read about someone lost in the woods or their car has driven off the side of the road or any situation where you want to attract attention, SOS, strobe or beacon can literally be a life saver.

Several of my favorite lights have these capabilities like the Convoy S2+, BLF A6, EA11 and EC11 as well as my SRT3. Each of these lights has several or all of those blinky options but don't interfere with just needing a light. They either had last mode memory or some other feature to allow you to pick the mode of light you want at the time.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
tom mac
Board Founder

Re: Blinky functions

Post by tom mac »

Some may be a pain to start, but then it can just keep sending out a help signal while it sits there... worth it IMO
You can't fix stupid !
Ronin.45
Board Founder

Post by Ronin.45 »

I've always preferred simplicity. Just off and on. With Olight it's nice that you can easily program it to be simple on/off. The other modes are there if you'd ever need them, but out of the way.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

tom mac wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:33 pm Some may be a pain to start, but then it can just keep sending out a help signal while it sits there... worth it IMO
That's another benefit of the blinky function. I can set it and forget it. I don't have to sit there and tap out SOS all night. This leave me free to sleep, tend an injury, tend to another while still actively signalling for rescue.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Had a situation today where the blinky functions came in very handy. My son called and said he was having an issue with his car not steering smoothly so I met up with him. The power steering was out so I figured the belt had broke (had plenty of fluid). Only about 30 minutes from the house so I figured I'd try to drive it home (I grew up on manual steering vehicles). Anyway, got 10 minutes from the house and the car died. Figure the belt that broke also ran the alternator and other stuff. Car died at a light. Hazard lights wouldn't even work. So I'm stuck in one of the two left hand turn lanes on a busy road and can't put on my flashers. Raised up the hood of course and had a couple of flashlights with strobe that I put on the roof of the car pointing backwards. Called AAA and got it towed home without issue.

So blinky functions do have there uses.