Bugs are coming

The area to discuss BOB's, EDC's, GHB's and other gear. Also includes Comms and other radio topics.
Bmyers
Board Founder

Bugs are coming

Post by Bmyers »

I'm sure you guys down south have already have been dealing with them. Our bugs have just started coming out in full force which includes lots of ticks, mosquitoes, and biting flies. I did my annual passing out of the Sawyer Picaridin insect repellant to all the family members. Since the wife has Lyme disease, we take bug protection seriously.

This weekend will be breaking out the permethrin to spray the hats, blankets, and a few other items we take with us out to the farm or fishing or other outdoor activities.

Anyway, that is my service announcement concerning staying safe against all those various biting insects.
tom mac
Board Founder

Re: Bugs are coming

Post by tom mac »

Thanks for the info... Put down the chems for ants/ticks last month. I do a second dose next month.
You can't fix stupid !
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Been working around the woods house for the last month. Ticks are out, mostly wood ticks which aren't dangerous. So are the gnats. These don't bite but they swarm around the eyes, nose ears. Very annoying.
Strayz

Post by Strayz »

Just starting to warm up enough to open a few windows for more that 5 minutes. Have to put up the State bird nets to keep them blood suckers out tonight after work.

I have not found a good bug juice that really works well. Tried everything under the sun and then some.

Good luck with avoiding them at all costs.
Sometimes things need to be said, Other times things must be done.
Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

Strayz wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 2:26 pm Just starting to warm up enough to open a few windows for more that 5 minutes. Have to put up the State bird nets to keep them blood suckers out tonight after work.

I have not found a good bug juice that really works well. Tried everything under the sun and then some.

Good luck with avoiding them at all costs.
I gave up on DEET because it destroys anything rubber or plastic it comes into contact. Started using the Picardan two years ago, maybe a little longer, and it has worked GREAT! Doesn't damage anything rubber/plastic. Works great on our bugs around here and keeps them from chewing on us.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Down here around dusk is when the mosquitoes come out in force. Big suckers (pun intended). No fun trying to go to sleep when one is buzzing around your head!

I'll hear a truck every so often cruise the neighborhood spraying late at night/early morning when no one is out and about. And every year they have advisories to make sure there is no standing water in your yard like in pots and such because that's where they breed.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

If you have a water meter, the chances are that it is below ground and filled with stagnant water from time to time. Simply take a squeeze bottle of dish washing soap and squirt a blast in every water meter on the block.

Humor of the day. Phd. and nuclear scientist calls my dad. You have to come over and see the spontaneous generation of fish in my backyard. It was mosquito larvee in a water fountain. . Standing water only has be like 1/4 inch to support the mosquito.