Cruising

The place to gather and chat about any and all topics not covered elsewhere on the board.
Mac66
Board Founder

Re: Diving pics

Post by Mac66 »

Here is the dive boat on St. Croix before leaving.
And coming back at dusk (my wife's photos)

And the one on St. Kitts

The dive master feeding a lion fish (invasive species) to a shark

And more sharks
David
Administrator

Re: Cruising

Post by David »

Awesome!
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
tom mac
Board Founder

Post by tom mac »

Great pics...
Don't mind sharks either. BUT, do always carry a probe stick on side of my tank

Do you use a dive computer or just go by dive charts ( planned dive ) ?
You can't fix stupid !
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

tom mac wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:04 am Great pics...
Don't mind sharks either. BUT, do always carry a probe stick on side of my tank

Do you use a dive computer or just go by dive charts ( planned dive ) ?
No dive computer, the only diving I've done is with a group led by a dive master. Pretty much canned/follow the leader dives. The only equipment I own is a mask and a full length wetsuit. Easier to rent everything than carry it onto a plane or ship. As long as I continue to do cruise ship diving I'll probably stick with that plan. If/when we start spending the winters in Florida at the Villages I may consider buying a regulator and BCD, fins, dive computer etc. If I'm still diving by then. They have a pretty active dive club there
tom mac
Board Founder

Post by tom mac »

Like you , when I travel, I only bring my mask ( since much of my other equipment is for colder water ) for the warmer weather/water.
But a number of yrs ago I started using a Mares wrist computer. I find it is easy to carry as small and a really good backup for the equipment you usu get from the dive companies. I trust myself and it more than borrowed equipment. Guess it's just a safety thing.

Todays wrist computers are fairly cheap 200-400$ and do so much more than when they first came out ( dating myself with an old Orca Edge from 80's )
Being a bit older, I don't go by only the navy tables as none of us are in shape like those they are originally based on. :)
You can't fix stupid !
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

tom mac wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:19 am Like you , when I travel, I only bring my mask ( since much of my other equipment is for colder water ) for the warmer weather/water.
But a number of yrs ago I started using a Mares wrist computer. I find it is easy to carry as small and a really good backup for the equipment you usu get from the dive companies. I trust myself and it more than borrowed equipment. Guess it's just a safety thing.

Todays wrist computers are fairly cheap 200-400$ and do so much more than when they first came out ( dating myself with an old Orca Edge from 80's )
Being a bit older, I don't go by only the navy tables as none of us are in shape like those they are originally based on. :)

After losing a lot of weight 4 years ago I get cold easy. I'm now old (and skinny). A shorty wetsuit didn't hack it so I bought a full length one and tote it around. I don't know a thing about dive/wrist computers, wouldn't have a clue how to use one. Don't really have a need with the kind of warm water, guided cruise ship dives I do. If/when I get to Florida in the winters and join the dive club, if I'm still diving by then, I will go all in on equipment.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Getting back to the cruising part

Drinking on a cruise ship....

Most cruise lines allow passengers to bring/take two bottles of wine on board. A typical bottle yields 4-5 glasses of wine or maybe 2 days worth if all you do is have a glass of wine before dinner. My wife and I typically have a glass or two before dinner, sometimes we have a glass before dinner and take another glass to dinner with us. So that's 3-4 glasses/day which means a bottle lasts us 2 days or 2 bottles x2 days = 4 days. Not enough for a 7 day cruise.

Alternative #2 is pay by the glass. Mixed drinks/shots costs $12-14, wine is $11+/glass.

Alternative 3 is buy a drink package. Drink packages typically costs between $50-65/day per person plus a 18-20% added gratuity. So that's a minimum of $840 for a 7 day cruise. At "by the glass" prices that's only 4 drinks a day so it seems worth it when you consider a drink package is all you can drink. So a bloody mary when you get up, a beer at lunch, maybe a couple frozen foo-foo drinks while laying around the pool in the afternoon, a cocktail or two before dinner, a couple glasses of wine with dinner, maybe an after dinner drink and/or one at the show, maybe a nightcap. Well worth it at the highly inflated prices cruise ships charge. Of course you normally wouldn't drink that much if you had to pay by the glass but what the hell, you're on vacation. Some lines have basic and premium packages. Obviously the premium packages cost more but include (arguably) better booze. Some cruise lines have simply gone with an across the board package. And...most packages include soft drinks, specialty coffees, fresh squeezed orange juice.

The thing is I don't drink sweetened anything. No orange juice, fruit juices, pop/soda, specialty coffees, foo-foo drinks so that stuff isn't worth paying for by me. I like bourbon and scotch on the rocks. My wife likes gin and tonics but will drink scotch and bourbon. So that brings up the next alternative.

Alternative #4 is bring your own booze. A 5th of booze (750 ml) holds 16 shots. Considering a 5th of Jack Daniels cost around $20 near me the cost per shot is about $1.25 by the bottle vs. $12-15 on board. Of course better booze costs more. My go to bourbon and scotch run $1.50-1.85 a shot by the bottle.

If you decide to break the arbitrary rules and BYOB on board there are a couple ways to do it.

1-Buy the little airline sized bottles and hide them in your luggage. The little shot sized bottles (called minis or nips) fit in shoes, pockets of clothes, shaving kits etc. etc. You can sometimes find packs of mini bottles in liquor stores for $1.00 each. Back when I ate carbs we found 12 packs of Wild Turkey Honey minis for $10/pack. Wild Turkey Honey mixes well with orange juice, iced tea, coffee and just about any type of juice or drink you can get free on board. It is/was easy to slip a couple into your pocket while wandering around the ship and pour them in whatever free mixer you found. We refilled them over and over back home and took them for years. It was our go to for the wife for years. BTW, some cruise lines allow you to bring up to a case of pop (mixers) on board as well. You can carry minis on board an airplane in your carry on luggage. They fall under the liquid restrictions.

Remnants of a bygone era...JWR=Johnny Walker Red, SC=Southern Comfort, my wife's

2. Buy "Rum Runners" which are collapsible plastic flasks. Different sizes hold from 8 ozs up to 32 oz. We've been using them for almost 20 years. We wore some out and replaced them with "Cruise Runners" same thing, half the price. They fit in your luggage and have never been found. They are invisible to xrays. I even took an almost full 8 oz on my carry on luggage on the plane coming home from Florida.

I should also note that Cruise Runners are good for smuggling into concerts, football/baseball stadiums and other places. They can also be used as water bottles. I keep a couple in my back pack and use them for hiking. Durable and collapsible.

The last cruise (Celebrity) we took we had a drink package that was included in the overall cost and since we actually bought this cruise 2 years ago the costs was significantly cheaper than booking it this year. It was a good deal then, a great deal now. We didn't bring any wine or booze on board I'll be practicing "dry April" for my liver to recover. Celebrity tends to now include drink packages in the cruise price. We've been looking at NCL which does as well sometimes.

The Celebrity cruise we took in February was a charter so you had to buy a drink package or pay by the glass or...BYOB. I took one 32oz runner of bourbon and one of scotch. I also took an 8 oz of vermouth and a small bottle of bitters for making Manhattans. My wife likes Manhattans as well. It worked out well. Ended up drinking about 3/4s of the bourbon and less than half the scotch. And of course we also took our two bottles of wine. The cruise was the Rock and Romance cruise so we basically took steel insulated mugs filled them with ice and whiskey and sipped on them at the concerts or around the pool. We called them "travelers". Filled with coffee in the morning and whiskey in the evening.

On Royal we get 4 free drinks a day plus you can bring/take 2 bottles of wine per cabin on board. Wine is nice while sitting on your balcony prior to going to dinner, or taking to dinner. Haven't felt the need to buy a drink package on Royal for some time. We think the 4 drinks a day is plenty and don't need to smuggle anymore. You can always buy a specialty drink by the glass if you feel the need.

Alternative 6 is buy booze by the bottle on board or in port stops. You can buy duty/tax free booze by the bottle on board at very good prices. Usually $3-4 a bottle cheaper than back home. In the past you would buy it in the on board store and then they would hold it until the last evening and deliver it to your cabin. Just before the pandemic hit they started delivering in the afternoon before the last day. On our February cruise we bought a couple bottles of bourbon the second day and they let us walk out with it. We could have easily enjoyed it the rest of the cruise if we hadn't brought our own.

In addition, if you bought booze in one of the ports (generally even cheaper than on board) they would confiscate it and hold it for pickup on your way off the ship at the end of the cruise. On our last cruise we bought a couple bottles of special infused vodka in St. Croix. It is only available in certain ports in the Caribbean and was for friends back home. We walked back on board with bottles in hand, easy peasy. Could of opened them and had a party. So it appears the days of smuggling may be over if you can just buy and bring from any port you stop at.

Alternative 7-Don't drink. We tried that on a cruise once. We rarely drink at home, sometimes going weeks or months. There is something about a cruise which entices you to drink.
Last edited by Mac66 on Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tom mac
Board Founder

Post by tom mac »

Good choices.... really like the rum runners.

The prev cruise, last month, I went on ( NCL ) has a package which for the two of us ( both in cabin must get ) cost $440 in gratuities total for the week.
No limit on number of drinks, up to $15 per drink ( or pay the diff if higher ).
It turns out it's just plain easy to do.
If you buy a bottle of anything, you also get 25% off cost. Bring your own and get hit with a $10 cork fee.

Good side is that you can each get two drinks at same time and we would bring them back to room if need be for later ( shots included ).
And it's a good time to taste drinks you don't normally try... don't like, give it back and get another.

Go to drink was Jim Beam and 43... I'd mix them half/half to make sort of J Beam & Vanilla .
You can't fix stupid !
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

tom mac wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:30 am Good choices.... really like the rum runners.

The prev cruise, last month, I went on ( NCL ) has a package which for the two of us ( both in cabin must get ) cost $440 in gratuities total for the week.
No limit on number of drinks, up to $15 per drink ( or pay the diff if higher ).
It turns out it's just plain easy to do.
If you buy a bottle of anything, you also get 25% off cost. Bring your own and get hit with a $10 cork fee.

Good side is that you can each get two drinks at same time and we would bring them back to room if need be for later ( shots included ).
And it's a good time to taste drinks you don't normally try... don't like, give it back and get another.

Go to drink was Jim Beam and 43... I'd mix them half/half to make sort of J Beam & Vanilla .
Celebrity and Royal both say they charge a corkage fee if you bring your own wine to dinner but we've never been charged. We've been given wine by our travel agent and the cruise line, how do the dining room staff know it's not one of them? And no fee if you keep the bottle in your cabin. We have the cabin steward bring us wine glasses every day.

We are looking at an NCL cruise in Dec which comes with a drink package. Does NCL allow people to bring their own wine? We kind of have our favorites and like to have some before dinner without having to trek down to the bar.
tom mac
Board Founder

Post by tom mac »

Mac66 wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:02 pm We are looking at an NCL cruise in Dec which comes with a drink package. Does NCL allow people to bring their own wine? We kind of have our favorites and like to have some before dinner without having to trek down to the bar.

Per NCL;
Wine & Champagne Policy
Guests may bring bottles of wine and champagne on board. When bottles are brought on board and served or consumed in any restaurant, public room area or in their stateroom, a corkage fee will be charged according to bottle sizes noted below.

750 ml Bottle: $15.00 USD
1,500 ml Magnum: $30.00 USD

Wine or champagne sent directly to the ship by travel agents, friends, family, etc. or from another retail source, are subject to the same fees. Box wines are not allowed on board.
You can't fix stupid !