Garden 2022

Bmyers
Board Founder

Garden 2022

Post by Bmyers »

How many will be planting a garden this year? Was just reading words of encouragement from Sleepy Joe that he believes food shortages will be real this year.

I know we have some seeds already and wife is looking for specific heirloom seeds she likes and after Easter, then we will be starting our gardening projects.
David
Administrator

Re: Garden 2022

Post by David »

We will do some light gardening this year. Probably some mint and maybe some kale. That's about it. My new backyard is a lot smaller than the other house and it's not fenced in so wildlife can come and go as they please.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

David wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:48 am We will do some light gardening this year. Probably some mint and maybe some kale. That's about it. My new backyard is a lot smaller than the other house and it's not fenced in so wildlife can come and go as they please.
Maybe you can kill and alligator or two for supper. I tried some alligator meat the other day, was tougher than I thought it would be. Yet, my guess is that it could be the way it is prepared, then again for all i know alligator meat is tough.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Bmyers wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:41 am
David wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:48 am We will do some light gardening this year. Probably some mint and maybe some kale. That's about it. My new backyard is a lot smaller than the other house and it's not fenced in so wildlife can come and go as they please.
Maybe you can kill and alligator or two for supper. I tried some alligator meat the other day, was tougher than I thought it would be. Yet, my guess is that it could be the way it is prepared, then again for all i know alligator meat is tough.
Gator tail can be tough and/or stringy if not prepared properly. But it can also be very tasty and tender.

I now live in Land O' Lakes which is about 25 minutes north of where I was living in Tampa. And it lives up to it's name. Of course in this whole area of Florida you couldn't swing a dead cat and not hit a body of water, lol. Within a 5 minute walk of the new house are at least a dozen plus bodies of water. I see folks fishing all the time so fishing would always be an option. And of course in the area are squirrel, deer, hog etc as well.

That's not to suggest I could go all Grizzly Adams, everyone else would have the same ideas. But there would be a large amount of fish.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
tom mac
Board Founder

Post by tom mac »

Got the Fig plants in 5 gall pots all ready in garage ( to keep from freeze ) , they are already opening leaves. Going to start some plants in gaarage , still a bit early as it goes below freezing here to put outside.
You can't fix stupid !
Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

We purchased some more planting soil. Getting everything ready to go, the hardest part is waiting. I want to get stuff in the ground, but still to early.
Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

Planted the first tomato plant yesterday afternoon. Good thing we had waited, had a freeze warning yesterday morning.
tom mac
Board Founder

Post by tom mac »

Had to pull in plants to garage... frost warnings here for last 2 days.
You can't fix stupid !
bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

Harvesting. Tomatoes and avocados today. Lemons. Can pick radishes.
bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

December 2023.
1. Most of the tomato plants have stopped producing. Down to 6 plants.
2. Planted broccoli last month. 6 containers. Looks like they will make it.
3. Finishing harvesting the Washington Navel oranges within a week. Lemons will be a bit longer.
4. No avocados in sight. The other fruit trees stopped last month.