Long Driving

A general discussion area for topics not specifically covered elsewhere on the board. NO politics. If the topic would fit it a specific section please post in that specific section.
David
Administrator

Re: Long Driving

Post by David »

Glad you made it back safe.

Wife is doing better. The redness and swelling in that arm are gone and she's getting ROM back in that wrist. Not 100% but getting better daily. Now she's sore in the other arm where she got the tetanus shot. I feel for her :|
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Good to hear she's doing better. Scary stuff.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Almost back to normal. She's back to being able to do stuff around the house. She picked up some decorative pillows and was able to mend them up (or whatever she was doing with them) yesterday.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
David
Administrator

Post by David »

I flew out to Texas last Wednesday with my nephew so that I could help him pack up and move back to Florida. We rented a large SUV in addition to his car and we drove back. Got in late Saturday afternoon. 1100 miles which took around 18 hours.

I only had a carry on for the plane flight so I didn't have my EDC. But he did have a small check in so I tossed my folding knife and SAK in to I'd have them. He also had a couple of pistols in his safe so I was able to carry one of them while in Texas and for the trip back. He has a Sig P365XL and Ruger LCP Max. I carried the Max. It's the same as the Max I have and I actually brought one of my holsters because I knew that would be the one I carried. And I felt perfectly fine for the duration of the stay and the road trip back. Yes, the XL would be a better overall choice but the Max is so small that you forget you're carrying it and 12+ rounds of .380 isn't a bad option.

Knowing that I'd be driving back I made sure I packed my small AAA light (on my keychain with the SAK). And I brought along 4 extra AAA batteries.

Not as much stuff as I would have liked to have on an open road trip but there was two of us in two separate vehicles which meant for a safer ride overall.

Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

A knife, flashlight and pistol is really about all you need for an impromptu road trip. I carry a GHB with more stuff because I keep one in my car/truck when I drive. But when flying I have a kit for my carry-on backpack without a knife. I will usually put a multiool (which I mostly EDC now) in my or my wife's check through luggage as well.

I carry a pistol back and forth to Florida when driving. I keep a pistol in the Florida house to carry when I fly down there. I usually also take a shotgun (12 ga pump) with me or sometimes a Ruger 10/22, something my wife is a familiar with and easy for her to shoot. Occasionally I will take my folding Keltec SU16. Debating what long gun to take & leave at the Florida house. Could be a shotgun, 22 rifle, AR15, AK or something else. Eventually I'd like to keep a rifle, shotgun and 22 rifle/pistol in FL as well.

Still trying to get my wife to submit her paperwork for her concealed pistol license, she took the class but has been busy planning my daughter's bridal shower this summer and wedding in Sept, and setting up a baby shower for my son's baby (a boy) in October.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Mac66 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 9:28 am A knife, flashlight and pistol is really about all you need for an impromptu road trip.
Agreed. Would like to have a small IFAK and small water filter as well, but sometimes not an available option.

I do have those in my sling bag which is almost always in my vehicle (along with a more extensive kit). Thought about bringing it on the trip but I was pretty minimalist in the stuff I brought overall.

Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Will be driving to the Villages again on Jan 21, returning on Feb 18. Still trying to decide what guns to leave at the house. I left my Taurus G2c the last time.

I'll likely be carrying my SU16 in the car along with my EDC (G3c) but would like to have a rifle and another pistol (other than my EDC) at the house. Thinking about leaving a 10/22 and maybe one of my Keltec P17s. Always good to have a 22 or 2 around.

As I mentioned before I would like to eventually have a centerfire pistol & rifle along with a 22 pistol and rifle and a shotgun at the house.

One issue I have is that there is no basement and very little space for a gun safe. My G2c is in a lock box cabled to the steel frame of the bed. On the other hand the house is in a gated community with very little crime. I'll eventually figure something out.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

FWIW....
Here's our schedule...estimated based on google maps
5 am-Leave home
9:10 am Cincinnati
10:20 am-Lexington KY
1:00 pm -Knoxville, TN
2:30 pm -Chattanooga TN (just over half way)
4:10 pm - Atlanta
7:20 pm -Valdosta Ga
9:00 pm- Gainsville FL
10:05 pm-The Villages

Google maps says 16 hrs. 13 mins. With gas stops, bathroom breaks, good weather and no traffic issues, it usually takes us just over 17 hours. We pack food and eat in the car.

Just for fun I'm going to compare our actual times with what I calculated on google. Which reminds me, I need to download an audio book.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Got to the villages around 2210 hrs last night. Actually left home at 0445. So, about 17 hours & 25 mins. Roads were clear and dry all the way. We ran into a rolling road repair crew on I75 south of Knoxville which held us up for about 40 mins.

Gas prices averaged $2.96 gallon this time and we got 29 mpg. So cost was around $115 this time. We still have 3/4 of a tank left. Average speed was 69 mph though I drove 70-75 most of the time on I75. I am disappointed with the gas mileage. We were driving my wife's 2020 Buick encore, small SUV.

As much as I dread the drive before hand, its actually pretty easy to do. Listened to an audio book all the way.
bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

More power to Mac66. I can't do that kind of driving. My father could. In his 80's he would drive 800 miles non stop. I didn't get his driving genes. I stop every 45 minutes.