Long Driving

A general discussion area for topics not specifically covered elsewhere on the board. NO politics. If the topic would fit it a specific section please post in that specific section.
David
Administrator

Re: Long Driving

Post by David »

Mac66 wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 9:36 am Just an added note....coming home this time we stopped for gas at a new place In Kentucky called Buc-Eees. Not sure how long they've been around. Don't remember seeing them last Feb. But they are in GA, TN & KY at least. Kind of a giant Cracker Barrel, Walmart and Cabela's rolled in to one with at least 100 gas pumps. Gas was about the cheapest $2.62/gallon. The place was packed. Walked inside to use the bathrooms, it was like a redneck heaven in there. Apparently they have good pulled pork and brisket sandwiches but we didn't hang around or eat.
I've heard of them. 100 pumps is pretty impressive. And glad the fuel price isn't totally insane.

Sorry we missed you this go around. Forum going off line for a couple of days caught me by surprise. Glad we got it moved over to a more secure place. Safe trip.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

David wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 10:26 am
Mac66 wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 9:36 am Just an added note....coming home this time we stopped for gas at a new place In Kentucky called Buc-Eees. Not sure how long they've been around. Don't remember seeing them last Feb. But they are in GA, TN & KY at least. Kind of a giant Cracker Barrel, Walmart and Cabela's rolled in to one with at least 100 gas pumps. Gas was about the cheapest $2.62/gallon. The place was packed. Walked inside to use the bathrooms, it was like a redneck heaven in there. Apparently they have good pulled pork and brisket sandwiches but we didn't hang around or eat.
I've heard of them. 100 pumps is pretty impressive. And glad the fuel price isn't totally insane.

Sorry we missed you this go around. Forum going off line for a couple of days caught me by surprise. Glad we got it moved over to a more secure place. Safe trip.
I'll give you a bump when we head south in late Jan. Maybe we can get together then.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Just an FYI, we're heading south on Saturday 1/28. Driving straight through. Will be at the Villages from Sunday 1/29 until Saturday Feb 4. Then heading to Tampa for a cruise 2/4-11 then back to the villages for another week until the 19th and then back home.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Maybe we can do a dinner this time :)
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Made it to Florida yesterday 1130 miles in 16:30 hrs. It snowed about 3" on Friday night and 5" earlier in the week. I was a bit worried but the roads were clear at 0440 when we left. Clear and dry all the rest of the way.

Average speed was 68 mph. Though i went 75 mph most of the way. The slow downs and surface roads knocked the average down. Average mpg was 28 mpg. Gas averaged about $3.20 / gallon so more expensive to drive down than last November. Gas cost about $130 this trip.

As usual we brought coffee and keto friendly food and ate in the car so we didn't have to stop except for gas and bathroom breaks.

Got to Atlanta about 1530 hrs. big backup both ways (as usual) including the bypass. Got off the freeway and took surface streets. Lost about 20 mins but otherwise no issues.

And downloaded an audio book from the library this time instead of Sirius radio. Listening to a book really makes the time fly.
Last edited by Mac66 on Sat Jan 20, 2024 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Dinner may not work out this time around. Our kitten just got declawed yesterday so we are tending to her till the bandages come off Thursday. More pressing is my wife's right wrist is swollen, not sure why. Have a doctors appointment for her this afternoon.

Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

David wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:44 am Dinner may not work out this time around. Our kitten just got declawed yesterday so we are tending to her till the bandages come off Thursday. More pressing is my wife's right wrist is swollen, not sure why. Have a doctors appointment for her this afternoon.
No worries, maybe next time. We will likely spend most of the winter down here next year.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Doctor prescribed antibiotics yesterday and we had a return visit this afternoon. It was more swollen and red so she sent us to the ER for Xrays and such. Just got back a bit ago. Took Xrays, blood work and antibiotics via IV. Blood work came back looking good and they said it normally takes 48 hours for antibiotics to start kicking in. So we'll see how she's doing tomorrow.

Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

David wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:27 pm Doctor prescribed antibiotics yesterday and we had a return visit this afternoon. It was more swollen and red so she sent us to the ER for Xrays and such. Just got back a bit ago. Took Xrays, blood work and antibiotics via IV. Blood work came back looking good and they said it normally takes 48 hours for antibiotics to start kicking in. So we'll see how she's doing tomorrow.
I hope she feels better soon. Scary stuff.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Drove home yesterday. 1130 miles in 16.5 hours. Clear and dry all the way. Been very lucky with the weather. It had snowed and rained through much of the country earlier in the week.

While I wasn't looking forward to the long drive this time it's kind of surprising how easy it is. Had one accident slowdown and one construction slowdown but breezed through both Atlanta and Cincinnati this time. Only stopped three times. Twice for gas, one bathroom break. As usual we pack out own food and coffee. Can get about 530 miles on a tank of gas. Listened to an audio book the whole way home. I drove the whole way but did ask my wife if she wanted to drive. She's good with riding.