Fasting For Survival

Preparedness starts with good health. Section for all things health and exercise related. Including discussions of current events in the world of health and medicine.
Mac66
Board Founder

Fasting For Survival

Post by Mac66 »

Kind of long but relevant

David
Administrator

Re: Fasting For Survival

Post by David »

Wife and I use to fast years ago. Yes, many health benefits when done correctly. The goal was one day a week, three days every three months and ten days once a year. We made it as far as the three days.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

I still fast being on keto, it helps. I pretty much eat once a day 5 days a week, so that's a 23 hour fast. Sometime when I go up to the new house by myself I will fast for the weekend so 2-3 days. I've done a number of 72 hour fasts and did an 96 once. I once did 3 72 hour fasts back to back with one meal in between each. Fasting doesn't include taking liquids i.e water and coffee.

If nothing else fasting shows you what the stages of hunger are and that you can survive for long periods of time without food. It pretty much changes the way you think about food, food storage and eating in general. When I travel I typically fast so I don't have to stop, buy and eat food at restaurants. Particularly when I fly somewhere I will fast all day before and only eat again upon arrival at the final destination.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Started a 96 hour fast yesterday. Was up at the woods house and just decided I didn't need to eat. Going to go until Wed but depending on how it goes, I may extend it until Thursday. That would be 120 hours and a new personal best.

I'm 26 hours in now. Felt a little tired this afternoon as usual but coffee perked me up. Not feeling hungry at this point. I do 23 hour fasts quite often so no big deal.

I did a 72 hour fast a couple months ago in preparation for a colonoscopy. Easier to clean out when there is nothing in there.

Kind of preparing for our trip to Ireland in August. Long plane ride over and I don't like to eat airport or airplane food so will likely fast the day before and on that plane ride.

48 hour in...all is well and....I lost about 5 lbs.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Good for you, hope it's easy for you :)
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

"I don't like to eat airport or airplane food so will likely fast the day before and on that plane ride."

I started flying in the 1950s. The whole experience has gone the tubes.

1. wear old clothes
2. fast before going to the airport
3. take an empty water container through inspection and fill it up with water before getting on the plane.
4. do not eat at a restaurant airport.
5. do not eat on the plane if the carrier is a US carrier.
6. if you are given "snacks", do not eat them and give them away.
7. make sure you get on the plane last. it will wait for you.
8. you get on last because there will be no room for your carry on and so your carry on will be put underneath, usually with the crew carry on and be there at the airplane door when you deplane.
9. get off last.
10. go to the restroom on the plane as soon as you get. it is cleanest it will be the whole flight.
11. take a book. take a steno pad and pens.

I flew to New Orleans and my dad and step mother number two (I gave them numbers and no disrespect is intended) picked me up. It was Christmas and I got off the plane wearing a santa hat and accompanied by a stewardess. My dad was pissed. I explained that getting off last meant nothing. Whoopie Goldberg was flying first class and her luggage was not going to be arriving at the carousel sooner than mine. Moreover, as we left (remember I was last off the plane), Whoopie Goldberg was in the car next to us as we left the airport.

If you are flying first class on an international airline, you can disregard all my advice. Flying from the People's Republic of China to Honolulu while sleeping in a bed on an airline was the most pleasurable flight I ever had!
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Well, I'm at 72 hours and doing fine. Not really feeling any hunger pangs since I started.

Not taking it easy either. Working around the yard, cutting the grass etc.

Going to keep going and see how long I can last, maybe another day or 2 though I'd like to shoot for a week. If I can make it to Thursday, I can go till Friday and if Friday, why not Saturday? I last ate last Saturday.
Last edited by Mac66 on Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

I responded with a post about flying but it's kind of off topic so I deleted it. Perhaps someone would like to start another about flying. ;)
Last edited by Mac66 on Wed Jul 20, 2022 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

96 hours. Today was pretty easy.

Probably going to try a couple more days. Pretty much living on coffee and water.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

I'm at 125 hours....Not even thinking about food. No hunger pains. Not tired, nothing. My wife thinks I'm crazy however. And I've lost about 10 lbs.

When you don't eat for a long time you realize how much eating becomes routine i.e habit. We usually eat out of habit not because we are hungry.

Gonna try for 2 more days (Saturday dinner) i.e 168 hours or maybe Sunday dinner which would be 192 hours. I'll be up at house way back in the woods so it's pretty easy not to eat there.