Fasting For Survival

Preparedness starts with good health. Section for all things health and exercise related. Including discussions of current events in the world of health and medicine.
tom mac
Board Founder

Re: Fasting For Survival

Post by tom mac »

wow... better man than I !
You can't fix stupid !
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Okay....now at around 144 hours.

As of this morning I've lost 12 lbs. Probably a little more since I worked outside all afternoon in 94 degree heat up at the woods house.

At this point I'm taking it day by day. My wife wants to make venison steaks so I might end it tomorrow.
Last edited by Mac66 on Sat Jul 23, 2022 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

I probably going to eat at 6 pm today, i.e. 168 hours

What I've learned....
-eating is over rated. We eat way too much in this country.

- eating takes up a lot of time. At least a couple hours a day

-it is easier to fast long term if you work up to it. I started doing 23 hour fasts (eat once a day) 4 days before. That helps you get the sugar out of your system and get you into ketosis. I did not have any withdrawal symptoms.

-Going cold turkey probably would be pretty rough. Start doing 16:8 fasts then do 23 hour then move to 24 hour, 36, 48, 72 etc.

-i now know that I could function normally without food for at least a week.

If TSHTF i would likely ration my food to eating once a day for my family and nothing for me for the first week or so. That would give you time to assess the situation and to develop a long term strategy if needed.

I rewatched the video I posted. It is very good.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

I ate at 6 pm today. Went 168 hours.

Not really very hungry. But the food was very intense tasting after not eating for a week.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Final thoughts....

-I had bouts of diarrhea last night after eating dinner. Not very fun. Had one bout of diarrhea this morning as well. Nothing since this morning. So beware if you want to try fasting for a week.

Haven't eaten today yet. Trying to ease back into it by doing 23 hour fasts for a couple days. Going to eat at 6 pm. Then transition back to a 16/8 schedule.

-Total weight lost was 15 lbs. I'm going to try and keep that weight off.

-I was surprised how easy it was to not to eat for a week. I've gone 2 or 3 days and have been hungry. I think easing up to it by doing 24 hour fasts makes a big difference. Also cutting out carbs removed the carb headache you WILL get if you go cold turkey.

-Thank heaven for coffee. Coffee withdrawal would have been torture. Going to have go out and buy cases of instant coffee so I never run out at TEOTWAWKI. Maybe the next thing to do is break the caffeine addiction and start weening off coffee. Going to have think about that for awhile.
Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

Interesting test.

The human body and its ability to adjust to extremes is greatly underrates.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Bmyers wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 10:42 am Interesting test.

The human body and its ability to adjust to extremes is greatly underrates.
There is also a lot tradition, habit and socialization with food in our culture. Meal time is when people take a break, sit down together and talk. Not eating isolates one from that. I missed eating with my wife at dinner time. Normally when I'm on my own and eating once a day I usually eat around 3 pm. That's when I get hungry and can last 24 hours if I eat then. With the wife around we typically eat around 6 pm, just because.

Maybe because I built up to it I found it relatively easy to go a week without food. I could probably gone even longer but didn't really see the point. Maybe next time I try 2 weeks.
bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

The longest that I ever achieved was 5 days in the PRC. It was sometime in the 1980s or 1990s. Wish I still had the willpower.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

bdcochran wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 4:38 pm The longest that I ever achieved was 5 days in the PRC. It was sometime in the 1980s or 1990s. Wish I still had the willpower.

I was thinking about doing it for a long time. Just couldn't bring myself to start. Finally I just said to myself, "in three weeks you'll start doing 23 hour fasts and work up to it, then just do it". I'm kind of a goal oriented guy so If I set a goal I can usually work toward it.

My wife thinks I'm nuts however and has forbidden me to do it again. I'll just wait until she's gone for awhile. She's been known to go down to Florida for a week once in awhile to look after her parents' home down there. So there's that. :roll:
Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

Well, you may be nuts, but I'm not sure that it has anything to do with the fasting. :D