Got the Covid

Preparedness starts with good health. Section for all things health and exercise related. Including discussions of current events in the world of health and medicine.
Mac66
Board Founder

Re: Got the Covid

Post by Mac66 »

My brother and SIL just came back from a computer conference in Florida. He started having cold symptoms on the flight home last Friday, home test positive a couple days later PCR positive the next day. His wife started having symptoms on Monday, tested pos on Tues. Both had sore throat, sneezing, coughing, runny nose i.e, bad cold. He's pretty much over it, she's still suffering mildly. Flying on a plane, going to a conference, then going to a theme park, then flying home pretty much guarantees you're going to get it.

My wife and I are going on a 7 night cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale on Feb 16. Hopefully I will be immune, having already had it. Telling my wife to be prepared to self medicate when she gets it. Putting together a Covid Treatment Kit. It will be an adventure. ;)
David
Administrator

Post by David »

If you're looking for immunity because of the vax you may want to rethink that position. All of my triple-vaxxed family in Israel currently have Covid. In fact, the whole country, which is a triple-vaxxed haven, is having a tough time.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

David wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 11:06 am If you're looking for immunity because of the vax you may want to rethink that position. All of my triple-vaxxed family in Israel currently have Covid. In fact, the whole country, which is a triple-vaxxed haven, is having a tough time.

I'm vaxed and got covid so I should be a bit more protected from getting it again. As I said, it's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when you get it.

My wife is vaxed, we are going on a cruise so she is more likely to get covid than I am. Just thought it would be better to be prepared to self treat than rely on the cruise ship. By all accounts they treat it with Tylenol, that's it.
bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

My brother claims he is recovered - felt like a bad cold.

This is the definitive information on the effect of vitamin d.

Study released yesterday.
1. double blind study
2. 5 years
3. 25,000 participants
3. measuring effects of vitamin d and omega 3 against placebo.
4. testing incidences of getting auto immune diseases - people with auto immune diseases not included in the study.
5. vitamin d did the heavy lifting.
6. Vitamin d worked very well with non fat people.

So, I summarized it for you. More. If you live below the 35th parallel and get sunlight between 11:30 and 2:30 p.m. every day (I manage to do my exercises outside during that time), you can get vitamin d from the sun. Only 2000 units of vitamin d were used in the study, a low amount. The diminutive Dr. Fauci takes 6,000 units a day. A vitamin d test is covered by medi-care for retirees.
bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

I posted on Glocktalk my research on in hospital and prescription treatment of Covid19

1. You need to research your available pharmacology on your health care provider.
2. Your HMO or insurance carrier has a list of what drugs may be prescribed under your plan.
3. It is important to know which plan you fall under. My HMO has multiple plans.
4. With my HMO, if you are on a senior plan, you CANNOT ASK for a waiver to get a drug that is not approved for your plan. There are three FDA drugs that work, but only one is approved. I know that I can negotiate around that restriction if I pay for the other drugs. Have negotiated in the past for my late wife. Most people do not know that they can negotiate with a doctor, hospital or a health care plan. Unfortunately, the most effective drug must be given within 3 -5 days of diagnosis. My brother got it - his wife is a doctor. It is not included in my plan.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

I've been taking Vit D,C and zinc and all the other recommended immune enhancing suppliments for 3, going on 4 months. Still got the covid in January. Did those supplements work? I don't know. Maybe it lessened the symptoms but I still managed to get sick a couple more times (sinus infection, and cough/cold that wasn't covid) even though I've stuck to taking them. Never been a big believer in vitamins/supplements, they seem to be waste of money IMO but I'll keep taking them until they run out and then I will reevaluate.

Also continued to wear a mask everywhere outside the house and wash and sanitize my hands obsessively. Did that help? Well, I still managed to pick up covid and a couple colds over the last several months so apparently not. I'm beginning to think that if you are immune you are immune. If not, you're not and there's nothing you can do about it.
Mac66
Board Founder

Free test kits

Post by Mac66 »

BTW, you can still order at home covid testing kits through the post office even if you've already gotten some. They are allowing everybody to order 2 sets of 4 tests. I ordered the first set a few months ago and used them when we came home from a cruise. Ordered the second set last week and they were delivered the next day.

https://special.usps.com/testkits

FREE TEST KITS FOR MEDICARE....
In addition, if you are over 65 and on medicare you can pick up 8 "free" home test kits a month at your local pharmacy. Participating pharmacies include...

Pharmacies committed to distributing the free tests include Albertsons, Costco, CVS, Food Lion, Giant Food, The Giant Company, Hannaford, H-E-B Pharmacy, Hy-Vee, Kroger Family, Rite Aid, Shop & Stop, Walgreens and Walmart."

Call to see if they have them yet and/or when they are getting the kits.
Last edited by Mac66 on Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

My wife ordered a free kit, just to have it handy if we need a test.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

We've been on two cruises this year. Came home with the sniffles/cough on both. Used our kits to test ourselves before going to see our 90 something year old mothers. Tested negative but gives us peace of mind knowing we are not likely to infect them.
tom mac
Board Founder

Post by tom mac »

Mac66 wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:25 am We've been on two cruises this year. Came home with the sniffles/cough on both. Used our kits to test ourselves before going to see our 90 something year old mothers. Tested negative but gives us peace of mind knowing we are not likely to infect them.
Same here... got a cough after the cruise... wondered if covid as my mom's 94. Neg test.

As a side note, my mother wants to renew her pistol permit :)
You can't fix stupid !