Top 5 Ammo to Stockpile for SHTF

The section on firearms, knives, bows, improvised and other weaponry. Defensive tactics, self defense, martial arts. Home and personal security. Includes ballistics, modifications and maintenance.
David
Administrator

Top 5 Ammo to Stockpile for SHTF

Post by David »

IMO, kind of a stupid video because it assumes you have a platform for each of his subjective choices. I would think that the ammo to 'stockpile' would be what your platforms actually use.

But for grins and discussion...
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Mac66
Board Founder

Re: Top 5 Ammo to Stockpile for SHTF

Post by Mac66 »

Without looking at the video I'd bet he says, 22, 9mm, 12, 223/556 and maybe 7.62x51/308. I would guess those are the most popular calibers in this country.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Mac66 wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:30 pm Without looking at the video I'd bet he says, 22, 9mm, 12, 223/556 and maybe 7.62x51/308. I would guess those are the most popular calibers in this country.
Spot on :lol:
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
aerynsun

Post by aerynsun »

Mac66 wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:30 pm Without looking at the video I'd bet he says, 22, 9mm, 12, 223/556 and maybe 7.62x51/308. I would guess those are the most popular calibers in this country.
Was it here where I read how great air rifles are? Then there are the old bow and arrows.

I think the calibers are great for SHTF.

SHTF - a suppressor is a force multiplier.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

aerynsun wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:33 pm
Was it here where I read how great air rifles are? Then there are the old bow and arrows.
Yes, up in the Top Gear section. An air rifle and/or pistol is an excellent prep and the ammo is extremely inexpensive.

In regards to the video, all his choices are popular calibers and good choices. But they aren’t necessarily ‘must haves’. You don’t have to have .308 or 12g. Fine if you do, but as we’ve discussed elsewhere, a .38 revolver would cover you for quite a lot of situations if it’s what you had. So you’d stockpile .38 Special.

And I still like multi-caliber platforms.

Ronin.45
Board Founder

Post by Ronin.45 »

Have to agree with Dave on this. The ammo to stockpile is the ammo you like.
If you shoot 40S&W, stocking up on 9mm would be pretty silly.
If you are recoil sensitive, buying 308 or 12ga "because they're popular" would not be very smart.
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

I go deep and wide.

I use 9mm, and .22, 12g, and 7.62x39. And those run in the 1000's of rounds. Because I use them.

But I have .40, .45, .38, and 30-06, and .223. I also have guns that use all of those. But I don't have more than maybe a couple hundred .40. And stocked deep on .30-06 is like 100 rounds.

I have a better one for you. Hold on!
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

This guy can train and shoot no doubt. But useless for the average human being. He just always takes a left turn into tactifool. You'll NEVER guess these rounds!

[MEDIA=youtube]LeTK8__HWGQ[/MEDIA]
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

David
Administrator

Post by David »

Bob wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:34 pm https://youtu.be/LeTK8__HWGQ
You don't have to wrap the YT addy in [url] brackets. You simply post the share link and it looks like this...