30 Super Carry

A section to discuss firearms ballistics (as well as air rifles and other types of projectiles).
David
Administrator

30 Super Carry

Post by David »

Well this seems to be catching a lot of attention on the forums. Thoughts...
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
aerynsun

Re: 30 Super Carry

Post by aerynsun »

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/202 ... per-carry/

I think it will end up in the graveyard of cartridges no one asked for.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Interesting concept. I think it will succeed if for no other reason than it provides higher round capacity is the same size pistols. It looks like you can get 1 extra round per 4 9mms*. That means in an 8 round 9mm mag you can get 10 30s. 12 round mags will hold 15, 16 round mags will hold 20. The pressure is too much for 380 sized pistols but I think 9mm sized pocket pistols will benefit.

Right now the S&W EZ9 and Shield Plus are being offered. I think it will become even more popular when you start seeing full sized service pistols with 20+ round mags. Better yet will be conversion kits (if even possible?) for existing full sized pistols. How about barrel/mag kit for a 19X that holds over 20 rounds? Or an G17/22? Or an XD9/40 with 20 round mags? Or maybe a PCC in 30SC? Or even a hi-cap "target" pistol that takes a pistol brace for use as a PDW.

*at least in double stack mags. S&W switched the EZ9 from a 8 round single stack 9mm mag to a 10 round double stack mag. However the 10 round Shield + mag went from 10-12. It remains to be seen if you get any additional rounds in a single stack mag since single stacks need to be narrower for the narrower 30 cal round. Or can the narrower 30 cal cases double stack in a single stack 9mm mag? Only time will tell.
Ronin.45
Board Founder

Post by Ronin.45 »

It will end up in the niche cartridge category like 45GAP and all the other unnecessary offerings. The minor capacity advantage is easily beaten out by the lack of availability and added expense.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Ronin.45 wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:06 pm It will end up in the niche cartridge category like 45GAP and all the other unnecessary offerings. The minor capacity advantage is easily beaten out by the lack of availability and added expense.
It's brand new. It will eventually be available and priced about what other SD ammo costs.
aerynsun

Post by aerynsun »

Mac66 wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:57 am Interesting concept. I think it will succeed if for no other reason than it provides higher round capacity is the same size pistols. It looks like you can get 1 extra round per 4 9mms*. That means in an 8 round 9mm mag you can get 10 30s. 12 round mags will hold 15, 16 round mags will hold 20. The pressure is too much for 380 sized pistols but I think 9mm sized pocket pistols will benefit.

Right now the S&W EZ9 and Shield Plus are being offered. I think it will become even more popular when you start seeing full sized service pistols with 20+ round mags. Better yet will be conversion kits (if even possible?) for existing full sized pistols. How about barrel/mag kit for a 19X that holds over 20 rounds? Or an G17/22? Or an XD9/40 with 20 round mags? Or maybe a PCC in 30SC? Or even a hi-cap "target" pistol that takes a pistol brace for use as a PDW.

*at least in double stack mags. S&W switched the EZ9 from a 8 round single stack 9mm mag to a 10 round double stack mag. However the 10 round Shield + mag went from 10-12. It remains to be seen if you get any additional rounds in a single stack mag since single stacks need to be narrower for the narrower 30 cal round. Or can the narrower 30 cal cases double stack in a single stack 9mm mag? Only time will tell.
With many guns you can get extended mags or base plates that add round.

Maybe, in the future, a 9mm could be fitted with new barrel for the new round. But, if you need a whole new gun for the new round, it won't last.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

aerynsun wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:09 am
Mac66 wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:57 am Interesting concept. I think it will succeed if for no other reason than it provides higher round capacity is the same size pistols. It looks like you can get 1 extra round per 4 9mms*. That means in an 8 round 9mm mag you can get 10 30s. 12 round mags will hold 15, 16 round mags will hold 20. The pressure is too much for 380 sized pistols but I think 9mm sized pocket pistols will benefit.

Maybe, in the future, a 9mm could be fitted with new barrel for the new round. But, if you need a whole new gun for the new round, it won't last.

And just think how many 30 cal rounds you can get in an extended mag.

As for the conversion kits. The more I think about it the more I think the size/ 30 cal case head diameter is too small to use with 9mm slides, extractors. Might need a new slide.

I think once the guns get into the hands of the gun writers, bloggers and vloggers who will hype it the more popular it will become. Someone like Keltec will come up with a revolutionary new gun in that caliber that everyone will want.
aerynsun

Post by aerynsun »

Mac66 wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:14 am
aerynsun wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:09 am

Well, think about the total number of rounds you are talking about and why do you need them.

If you need those additional rounds carry a second mag 9mm for example.

And just think how many 30 cal rounds you can get in an extended mag.

As for the conversion kits. The more I think about it the more I think the size/ 30 cal case head diameter is too small to use with 9mm slides, extractors. Might need a new slide.

I think once the guns get into the hands of the gun writers, bloggers and vloggers who will hype it the more popular it will become. Someone like Keltec will come up with a revolutionary new gun in that caliber that everyone will want.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

It's always nice to have choices and options. This new cartridge doesn't take anything away from existing cartridges. It's not like they're going to stop making 9s and 380s so more options is better. Maybe the 30SC will inspire innovation with new designs like smaller hi-cap and/or braced pistols with longer barrels. Lots of possibilities to capitalize on the 30SCs strengths.

It will be interesting to see what happens with this cartridge over the next year or two. It may falter or it may take off depending on how interesting the guns become.