What have you done this week to forward your prepping goals 2022

A general discussion area for topics not specifically covered elsewhere on the board. NO politics. If the topic would fit it a specific section please post in that specific section.
Mac66
Board Founder

Re: What have you done this week to forward your prepping goals 2022

Post by Mac66 »

Interesting. I've never seen a posted sign sign post.

Posting a "No Trespassing" sign means it's already posted. Posting a "Posted" sign post sign on a post is unnecessarily redundantly redundant. :D
bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

I looked at Mac66's gate set up.

Thoughts:
1. find a motion detector light that flashes red when activated and which uses solar power to recharge an 18650 battery in the unit which is replaceable.
2. buy two units.

Without injuring yourself or have a younger person, put up the motion detectors aimed in the general gate area and locate them at least 9 -10 feet above ground on opposing trees.

You will never have enough money to put up a multi-thousand dollar, fool proof security system. However, you will have met the goal of spending a few bucks to deter someone from simply entering and thinking that they are not detected.

The reality is that putting people on film, having them prosecuted and getting all your damages paid is probably close to zero.
bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

In 2021, I went through things and provided a large number of tools to the Boy Scouts for use at a local camp facility.

A month ago, I went through the tools again and put aside a number for the son of a girlfriend who just bought his first house. Today I took a photo of some furniture and sent it to him, if he wants it. Tomorrow, I will put more things together.

The approaching reality is that one day, I will not be up to maintaining the house and the chores that I could do 10 and 30 years ago. The more "useful" items I can give away, the more comfortable my life seems to become.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

bdcochran wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 7:53 pm I looked at Mac66's gate set up.

Thoughts:
1. find a motion detector light that flashes red when activated and which uses solar power to recharge an 18650 battery in the unit which is replaceable.
2. buy two units.

Without injuring yourself or have a younger person, put up the motion detectors aimed in the general gate area and locate them at least 9 -10 feet above ground on opposing trees.

You will never have enough money to put up a multi-thousand dollar, fool proof security system. However, you will have met the goal of spending a few bucks to deter someone from simply entering and thinking that they are not detected.

The reality is that putting people on film, having them prosecuted and getting all your damages paid is probably close to zero.
I do have trail cameras up (discretely) at the driveways, but the lights are a good idea.

One of the reasons for the gates is I caught three guys in a van coming out of the road to the back 40 a month ago. They were pretty sketchy and said they were lost. Kinda hard to believe since we live 7/10th of a mile down a private well marked road.

The neighbor who owns the 30 acre parcel across the road had been broken into a week or two before. Anyway, I had them on three different trail cameras including them out walking around in the back 40 and pics of their van and license plate # which I also took a picture of with my phone. I also took pic of each guy and told them not to come back and if anything ever turns up missing these pics are going to the Sheriff's department. (BTW, I was armed at the time). I didn't know about the neighbor's break in at the time. I gave all the pics to my neighbor who showed them to the sheriff's department. Those guys were well known to the SD as low lifes. I don't think they ever pinned the B&Es on those guys but at least they were put on notice.