What have you done this week to forward your prepping goals 2022

A general discussion area for topics not specifically covered elsewhere on the board. NO politics. If the topic would fit it a specific section please post in that specific section.
tom mac
Board Founder

Re: What have you done this week to forward your prepping goals 2022

Post by tom mac »

Yesterday, got an option to pick up a few K of primers... JUMPED quickly.

Also, Checked out my stocked supplies and rotated the expendables. All is well.
Batteries ( a, c, d's stored ) looking good at 4 year mark per voltmeter, but it is time to use up and replace with new so they are rotated too.
You can't fix stupid !
Mac66
Board Founder

whole house generator

Post by Mac66 »

I just bought a whole house generator...a generac 8KW unit. Turns out a guy I've dealt with on the local gun forum works for generac and rebuilds gen sets on the side. He had a 8KW unit with only 30 hours on it set to run on propane. 8KW won't run the AC and everything all the time at the new house but it will run the well pump, furnace, lights fridge etc when the power goes off. It's in really good shape for being 15 years old and he went over it completely, changed the oil etc. and I got it for a fraction of what they run new..
tom mac
Board Founder

Post by tom mac »

congrats... it's barely broken in. Assume it came with a gentran box or lockouts and he will install :)

With the 7k unit I have, it runs all in the home except a/c, elec stove, elec dryer.
Makes a diff in a bad storm.
You can't fix stupid !
bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

On the 28th, I posted about dental work. As of today, with a visit to one credit union, opening an account with another credit union, spending 1/2 day opening bank accounts (and later paying regular bills with the issued credit cards), I made over $2400 plus some 1% back on what I spend on credit card bills. This will go a long way on paying for some dental work. Basically, I moved $8,000 in savings within a non interest paying emergency checking account.

Most of us in the forum are retired. My son works and travels. He watches the foregoing types of promotions. He drives a lot. By using the promotions from one name fast food chain, he has not had to buy coffee or soft drinks for the last two years. I still have a free airline trip owing for opening a bank account.

The foregoing beats "investing" in bit coins, silver, gold, stocks. I even got some free listed stock for opening up a brokerage account earlier this year.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

tom mac wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 10:03 am congrats... it's barely broken in. Assume it came with a gentran box or lockouts and he will install :)

With the 7k unit I have, it runs all in the home except a/c, elec stove, elec dryer.
Makes a diff in a bad storm.
Unfortunately I need a transfer switch and will have to hire someone to install it up at the woods house. He did run it for me off of bottled propane and put a load on it so at least I know it runs.

We have a propane stove at the house but an electric water heater and of course AC. The dryer is electric as well but I only anticipate using the gen during an short term power outage so we won't really need a clothes dryer, AC or water heater.
tom mac
Board Founder

Post by tom mac »

The gentran type switch boxes are really nice as you only wire in those circuit breakers you want, the lockouts for your circuit box are usu MUCH cheaper.
Both do the job to prevent backflow to the mains while generator is running.
You can't fix stupid !
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

I loaded up the totes I bought and took them up to the house. A neighbor saw them and wanted a couple (I had 6) so I sold 2 to him for what I paid. Another neighbor saw his and wanted a couple so I sold them. One of the reasons I bought them back home is there was nowhere within 100 miles of the woods house of people selling them.

I figured they might be in demand so I ordered 6 more and put a notice on facebook markeplace for $15 ea above what I paid for them. Figured gas prices what they are, that would be fair since my truck sucks gas hauling them up there. So got overhelmed with inquiries. I sold those 6 and have orders for 12 more. One person wants 6 delivered. I added $10 ea on as a delivery charge. Fortunately he is only about 10 miles out of the way up to the house.

I'm picking up 5 today. Buying for $20, selling for $35 or delivered for $45. Don't intend to go into business doing this just trying to offset the costs a little but as they say...users become dealers to support their habit.

Last edited by Mac66 on Mon May 02, 2022 3:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Back home with the totes. Got 6 plus an extra bladder to replace the one at the end of trailer with ink in it. He had a 330 gal food grade one (held pickles) that he let me have for $20. That a good deal. I'll probably keep that one for water storage. And the bladder was free.

Pick up 6 more a week from Tuesday.

Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

That is a lot of water storage.
tom mac
Board Founder

Post by tom mac »

And I thought a couple 55 gal barrels was good :)
You can't fix stupid !