What have you done this week to forward your prepping goals 2022

A general discussion area for topics not specifically covered elsewhere on the board. NO politics. If the topic would fit it a specific section please post in that specific section.
David
Administrator

What have you done this week to forward your prepping goals 2022

Post by David »

So we have a whole new year of preps ahead of us and some recent experiences that have illuminated points of strong consideration.

So fire when ready ;)
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
David
Administrator

Re: What have you done this week to forward your prepping goals 2022

Post by David »

This will take longer than just a 'week' but the plan is to better organize my tools and prep items (gear) now that we are in the process of moving. We now have a bigger garage and are streamlining everything (which means getting rid of stuff that hasn't been used in years or will be used). This will provide much more ready access and accountability of items (as in knowing what I actually have and where I can find it).
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Bogart

Post by Bogart »

Good organization is key, things can go bad or spoil. You need to know what you have and rotate accordingly.
Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

The wife and I are increasing our ability to be more self-sufficient. Yet, we are focusing in on learning new skills. We are buying and learning to use more hand and power tools. We both have become more proficient with our abilities to tackle problems around the house. We had a water line spring a leak, the wife was able to get the piping and fittings bought, cut out the leak, and make the repair. Something that she wouldn't been able to do a few years ago. 2020 and 2021 have taught us that we need to be able to make more simple and even working on more advance repairs as the ability to pick up the phone and get someone to show up is becoming more difficult.

The plus side, we have gotten to buy a lot of neat tools and watch LOTS of YouTube videos as we learn together the best way to tackle the projects.

So for 2022, we plan on continuing to increase our skillset making ourselves more able to be self-sufficient.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Both the kitchen and the mini-kitchen are nearing completion. This includes the Butler pantry which will have much more room that we have had for stocking up on supplies.

tom mac
Board Founder

Post by tom mac »

Went to basement and rechecked rotation list nailed on shelves... all looking good.
Changed out some 5 gallon water containers, ( prob not needed ) and just sort of cleaned up.
You can't fix stupid !
Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

We started in on the kitchen remodel. In the process of this, we are purchasing some extra items to have on hand in case things break. So far, we have purchased new plugs and switches and bought two spares of each and placed in a tool box of electrical supplies.
tom mac
Board Founder

Post by tom mac »

Swapped out a car battery that gets powered by solar ( on shed )... seems like the real cold snap dragged the battery down ( normal as a car battery can loose up to 50% of it's power below freezing ( about 35% at 32f, about 50% at 0f ) )
Had another old one to put in cycle.
You can't fix stupid !
Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

Since we have added the new member to our family, Max (Rottweiler), we purchased extra bag of dog food and more treats. We try to keep a two month supply of food on hand, so if there are any delays, stocking issues, etc., we have spare food on hand for him.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Rottys make excellent dogs for the family!