Inexpensive medical supplies

All things first aid related.
David
Administrator

Inexpensive medical supplies

Post by David »

A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Bmyers
Board Founder

Re: Inexpensive medical supplies

Post by Bmyers »

I like the idea and I have used the plastic ammo cans for this. They have the waterproof seal. If you use the ammo can make sure to label them well otherwise you may end up with someone bringing you a can of bullets instead of the medical supplies.

Also, it is getting to the end of the year and if you have money left in your FSA, this is a perfect time to stock up. Between holiday sales and end of year sales, we purchase a lot of our extra medical supplies this time of year.
Quasar86

Post by Quasar86 »

I would add to make sure any waterproof seal/gasket is rubber. We shooters have learned that plastic or other seals crack, break, leak much easier and faster. Throw in some of those little dessicated envelopes found in med and vitamin bottles.
Steve
"I've learned much from 32 years of military and 35 years of medicine"
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Quasar86 wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:46 pm Throw in some of those little dessicated envelopes found in med and vitamin bottles.
Good suggestion. Most folks just throw them away but they can be put to use in a myriad of ways. IIRC, you can dry them out in the microwave set on low for short periods of time.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
David
Administrator

Post by David »

I was at Big Lots on the 1st and they had a store-wide 20% off everything sale. Well, we can't resist a sale... :mrgreen:

They had packages of different colored cling gauze, the sturdy kind that is a roll of 5 yards (stretched) on sale. Normally a buck, with the sale they were 80 cents each. I cleaned them out!
https://www.biglots.com/product/self-a ... 9&pos=1:11

David
Administrator

Post by David »

I’m putting this in three different sections because it has three different survival functions.

I’ve used this several times to create a chemical fire and it works splendidly.

bdc
Board Founder

Post by bdc »

xl large isolation gowns.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

I was at the Dollar Store last week and in the impulse buy section at the register I saw an 18pc FAK. Nice little clear plastic case with 5 cotton swabs, 1 tweezer, 1 mini scissors, 2 band aids, 5 safety pin and one small multi-functional knife. The knife had a small blade, file with a slight hook, bottle opener and flat-head screw driver.

Not bad for a buck. And it little case has room for additional items. Not a lot but it would make a nice boo-boo kit. I picked it up to toss into my EDC sling bag specifically for the boo-boo situations so I don't have to go into the larger FAK just for a band aid. I had room to add a couple of alcohol prep pads, a couple of iodine prep pads, a plastic dental floss/pick, a few more assorted band aids and some chap stick. Wrapped it with a rubber band and it's a nice little boo-boo grab kit.

bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

I am going to get flack for some suggestions.
1. I needed surgery after the army. bandages are very expensive. I was going to have to keep changing bandages frequently and would not be in the hospital. The doctor said go get maxi pads. They would be sterile, cover large areas of the body.
2. Isopropyl at 70% is used in hand sterilizers. You can order through a hair dresser. or go to Smart and Final and buy a gallon at a time for about $18. Hand sanitizer runs about $50 and the difference is a small amount of ivory liquid is put in. If you want surgical grade, buy 90 or 91%.
3. Go to Smart and Final and buy boxes of xlarge latrex free gloves. Cheap. I wear them around chemicals and when working in the garden.
4. go on line and buy a case of disposable surgical gowns. cheap. protects your clothes when working with chemicals, wood and metal as well
David
Administrator

Post by David »

bdcochran wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:45 am I am going to get flack for some suggestions.
I wouldn't give you flack for any of those suggestions, they're actually quite good. The tampons make great fire-starters as well.