Modified Zippo Test thread

From primitive methods to advanced tools, everything you need to start a fire.
David
Administrator

Re: Modified Zippo Test thread

Post by David »

Yep, that's the plan. Top them off every couple of months and continue to monitor to make sure that is sufficient. But I'm thrilled it worked so well :)
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
David
Administrator

Post by David »

It's been almost five months since I updated this thread. The mod is still working great and I've only filled up twice since the last post. Two fills in five months is pretty excellent! This is really conserving the fluid and preventing evaporation. Gives me more confidence that it will perform if/when needed.

:)
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
David
Administrator

Post by David »

I enjoy updating this thread. It's been almost 4 1/2 months since the last update. My Zippo lit on the first strike this afternoon. It would not light on additional strikes but getting radiant flame on the first strike after that length of time is simply fantastic from a Zippo. I filled it up just now and it should take me into the new year :)

Ronin.45
Board Founder

Post by Ronin.45 »

Sounds like you are getting the absolute best out of that particular system.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

I'm really impressed with that little mod. Makes a Zippo really viable.

David
Administrator

Post by David »

Lit it up today, first strike :)

bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

thank you for the report.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

David wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:53 pm I enjoy updating this thread. It's been almost 4 1/2 months since the last update. My Zippo lit on the first strike this afternoon. It would not light on additional strikes but getting radiant flame on the first strike after that length of time is simply fantastic from a Zippo. I filled it up just now and it should take me into the new year :)
It's been 100 days since the last post in this thread when I filled up the Zippo. I was correct in that the November fill took me into the new year. I lit up on the first strike this morning. Decided since it's the 1st I'd go ahead and top it off as well as my peanut lighter. So the simple mod continues to kick butt and the Zippo longevity is increased many-fold.

It's nice to add a simple mod to 'old' tech and update it to be more efficient and useful. The ranger band extended the life to a few weeks or so but this insert mod, in conjunction to the ranger band has extended that out to several months.

bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

Great.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

I misplaced my orange Zippo during the move and finally found it. Filled it up on December 1st and gave it a test. Worked just fine. I'm going to do another test to see how the mods are holding up and make sure the fill time is extended like before.