Modified Zippo Test thread

From primitive methods to advanced tools, everything you need to start a fire.
David
Administrator

Re: Modified Zippo Test thread

Post by David »

Day 12: Lit on the first strike. Had left it in the center console of the car for the last week.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Bogart

Post by Bogart »

I have a few Zippos. I haven't used them in years as they all seamed to either leak in my pocket or be empty when I needed to use it.
I recently got myself a Zippo Butane Insert. This thing works pretty good, nice torch in the pocket for a cigar and no more chemical burns on the leg from a leaking lighter. It was kinda pricey at $17.00 but worth it iny opinion to still carry a classic. Call it a restomod
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Day 15: Lit on the first strike.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Day 24: Lit on the first strike.

David
Administrator

Post by David »

Day 32: Lit on the first strike.

David
Administrator

Post by David »

Day 43: Lit on the first strike.

tom mac
Board Founder

Post by tom mac »

going strong it seems
You can't fix stupid !
David
Administrator

Post by David »

tom mac wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:21 am going strong it seems
Gotta say I'm impressed with these couple of simple and inexpensive tweaks. I really goes a long way towards dealing with the one drawback of the Zippo i.e. the short fuel duration. Over a month and a half so far and looks like it will be similar to the first results which was right around the 80 day mark. Filling up a Zippo every couple of months or so is nothing compared to the advantages it provides.

And the test continues..... :D

David
Administrator

Post by David »

It's been 3 weeks since the last attempt to lite up and it did not lite after multiple attempts. So at the last check it was 43 days so somewhere between that mark and 21 days later it ran dry. So it was pretty close to 2 full months which isn't bad at all for a Zippo.

I figure a quick top of at the beginning of the month, give or take, will be the ticket from here on out. That way it has plenty in case it needs to be used.

I'll have to give the insert bottom and ranger band two thumbs up for extending the life of this venerable prep.

Gnepig
Board Founder

Post by Gnepig »

The last camp-out with Jimmy he busted out his Zippo that had the butane insert in it and it was awesome= like a little torch! So I modified/ outfitted both of my Zippo's with the single and the double flame versions and they work awesome and they have about a two year life span as compared to the two weeks of the fluid type. Figured that was better since I don't smoke and would not have payed much attention to up keep... The butane insert kits are about 15 bucks on amazon.
... Just a Dude...