You WANT to be seen/found

The area to discuss BOB's, EDC's, GHB's and other gear. Also includes Comms and other radio topics.
David
Administrator

You WANT to be seen/found

Post by David »

Do you carry anything in particular in your EDC, BOB or GHB that would help you be seen, tracked or found?

I've been carrying orange surveyors tape, also called flagging tape for years.

I don't normally carry the entire roll, which is inexpensive. But I'll roll up a bunch very tightly and carry it in my Maxpedition Mini Pocket organizer which fits in my EDC sling bag or other packs. It's small and weighs practically nothing.

In my GHB I also have a heavy duty survival space blanket.

They have the mylar on one side and come in different colors on the other side. My preference is orange for high visibility. Windproof, waterproof, reflects body warmth and can be used as an emergency shelter.

I also carry a HFT whistle in the same pocket organizer as my flagging tape. 99 cents at HFT and beats yelling yourself horse.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Erich

Re: You WANT to be seen/found

Post by Erich »

I always have a whistle and more than one light.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Erich wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:55 pm I always have a whistle and more than one light.
Yep, multiple lights are also good gear to have. Same here. I have two AAA led lights, one on each of my key chains as well as an AA light (Nitecore EA11) in my EDC sling bag.

Also have a couple of GloSticks on the outside of my EDC sling bag.

A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Bogart

Post by Bogart »

I never thought about wanting to be seen. I mostly have been working on stealth. The orange tape does make sense. I may have to change my thinking.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Bogart wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:43 pm I never thought about wanting to be seen. I mostly have been working on stealth. The orange tape does make sense. I may have to change my thinking.
I was thinking about starting a thread on that topic as well... ;)

tom mac
Board Founder

Post by tom mac »

Whistle is always good and small...
Also I carry a small strobe light clipped on my pack ( left over from my dive instructor days ).
The carry flashlight has a build in SOS too
You can't fix stupid !
David
Administrator

Post by David »

tom mac wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:04 am Also I carry a small strobe light clipped on my pack ( left over from my dive instructor days ).
The carry flashlight has a build in SOS too
Ah, yes. I had forgotten about that. The Nitecore SRT3 in the car has both strobe and SOS features. The Nitecore EA11 & EC11 has flashing red as well as SOS and beacon. I very much like those two modes.

Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

I carry orange flagging tape and chemlights when I'm hunting. They can be used for tracking wounded deer, signaling etc. Of course I also have a flashlight and headlamp as well since deer are often shot at dusk and it's dark by the time you track/find them. It's been awhile since I've had to track a deer but a couple years ago I wounded one and had to track it at night. I used the tape to mark the blood trail direction.

When my brother shot his deer this year he was down in the swamp and it was dark by the time I looked for him. He turned on his headlamp strobe and I quickly located him.

I used to carry a whistle. Don't know what happened to it. Gonna have to find another one and start carry it again.
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

I always have glow sticks, and a whistle exactly like the one you showed.

I also generally have a reflective space blanket or two, and colored paracord - red and/or orange.