P226 as-is or 'customize'?

A section for all the tweaks done and available to our toys.
David
Administrator

P226 as-is or 'customize'?

Post by David »

*Note that when I say 'customize' I'm not talking about fiddling with internals with after-market garbage.

Been thinking about the P226. The previous owner said he purchased it as a police trade-in. From that I'll surmise I'm probably the 3rd owner. Manufactured in 2004. Really no way to know how long it was an issued pistol, or where. I'm sure it was issued as it has the type of wear you'd expect from a duty pistol. In the photo you can see where there are shiny surfaces on the slide and frame. The 40S&W barrel has the normal smiley wear you'd expect. The 357sig barrel must have been purchased somewhere down the line and looked brand new when I bought it from owner #2.

I don't think owner #2 had it for very long. He said it's his hobby to get a used gun, change out all the springs, shoot it a bit and then pass it on and get something else. He said the pistol was too large for his hands so he shot it very little in 40 and less than a mag in 357sig. He did put on the nice Saw Cut grips. I'm not an Sig armorer and I have no reason to believe owner #2 was either. He said he replaced all the springs and firing pin and probably did. The pistol shot great when I took it out shortly after buying it as well as a second range trip with my son. Both barrels.

This is more or less an extra pistol for me. Normally I have an assigned role for all my pistols. EDC, HD, night stand, woods carry and such. This one would make a dandy HD pistol. At least an extra one. Would also make a good woods carry pistol. But right now it's sorta just an extra one I picked up because I didn't have a P226 and I thought it was a good deal.

So I'm pondering. Simply keep it as is? I've pondered sending into Sig for their service package when I see it on sale. First, the fiber optic sights are fine but I'd prefer night sights so that is in the service package. Second, it would give Sig the opportunity to look everything over to make sure it's up to snuff. But again, seems to be perfectly fine as-is so it's not like it 'needs' to go back to Sig for a check up. I've also thought about the finish. Now to be clear, the worn look doesn't bother me a bit. So I'm just tossing around the idea of maybe a cerakote or refinish just 'because'. Maybe sorta like a project gun since it isn't (yet) a main role pistol. With those grips it would look great if it was refinished black. On the other hand, I do like FDE/coyote with a different set of grips. I dunno, just thinking out loud really.

For anyone that has gotten the service plan done, what are your thoughts? Did anyone get it done when it was on sale? How much is it one sale? I see the normal price is something like $144ish. From Sig's website:

SIG SAUER now offers a special service for used SIG SAUER pistols called the SIG Service Plan (SSP). When you buy a used pistol, whether it’s from a shooting buddy, a retail store or at a gun show, contact SIG SAUER Customer Service for shipping instructions. Then, ship your pistol to the factory for a complete cleaning and our “full-service package” for just $144.95. This special offer includes the installation of new SIGLITE Night Sights* – a $120 value. Our expert armorers will inspect your pistol top to bottom. Should your pistol show signs of misuse or damage caused by a previous owner, SIG SAUER’s armorers will advise you and offer cost-effective solutions to repair your pistol. Not available for the P230/232.

The SIG Service Plan Includes:

• Full disassembly of pistols down to frame and slide

• Complete detailed cleaning

• Expert factory inspection of all critical components

• Replacement of springs (recoil, slide catch lever, trigger bar, decocking lever)

• Reassembly and lubrication to factory specifications

• Installation of SIGLITE Factory Night Sights (excluding P232)

• Function test

• This service, valued at $225, is yours for just $144.95 and brings your used SIG SAUER pistol back to peak operational readiness.

I've been told that service goes on sale throughout the year. I don't know what the sale price is but I figure it's worth at least looking into.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Ronin.45
Board Founder

Re: P226 as-is or 'customize'?

Post by Ronin.45 »

I'd leave it "as is".
The previous owner must have done the spring swap correctly if it's running great for you.
Since it isn't dedicated to HD, EDC, or GHB, the fiber optic sights will be fine for range trips and general plinking.
Putting a bunch of money into it would just cut into your profits when you sell it in a few weeks.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Ronin.45 wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:36 pm Putting a bunch of money into it would just cut into your profits when you sell it in a few weeks.
Ouch :lol:

I'll have you know I've had this pistol for over 3 1/2 months now. In fact, I haven't traded or sold anything in a while. Did buy the LCP Max and TX-22 though :D
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Ronin.45
Board Founder

Post by Ronin.45 »

David wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 3:03 pm
Ronin.45 wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:36 pm Putting a bunch of money into it would just cut into your profits when you sell it in a few weeks.
Ouch :lol:

I'll have you know I've had this pistol for over 3 1/2 months now. In fact, I haven't traded or sold anything in a while. Did buy the LCP Max and TX-22 though :D
You'll get the itch soon😆