General Motors production supervisor, 52, who died on Death Valley trail where another hiker was found dead three days e

The section for hunting, fishing, camping, hiking and all of our outdoor adventures. This section includes gardening and the harvesting of game and other edibles.
David
Administrator

General Motors production supervisor, 52, who died on Death Valley trail where another hiker was found dead three days e

Post by David »

A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Mac66
Board Founder

Re: General Motors production supervisor, 52, who died on Death Valley trail where another hiker was found dead three da

Post by Mac66 »

"It can't happen to me"
David
Administrator

Re: General Motors production supervisor, 52, who died on Death Valley trail where another hiker was found dead three da

Post by David »

Mac66 wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:23 pm "It can't happen to me"
Yep. That statement has killed as many people as 'hey, ya'll watch this'. :lol:
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

In the last two months, for family reasons, I have driven multiple times
through the Mojave Desert. The highest temperature recorded on the car thermometer was 110. Most times it was in the 106 range. The road through Death Valley is not used by many people and the locals avoid going there except for a few months a year.

Further comment. About 50 years ago when the 50 mile Marine Corp hike was the rage, I passed a Marine unit walking from Whitney to the lowest point in Death Valley. The people who designed that walk were morons. Those were the days of "water conservation". FYI, the Israeli army marched a unit from the top of Israel to the Red Sea. The unit was ready for combat at the end because everyone was fully hydrated the whole length of the march.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

We were at the Grand Canyon one time when my wife and kids decided to hike to the bottom. The boys were 14-16 at the time. They were loaded with food, water, hats etc but got half way down. It was so hot they decided to turn back. I had a really bad knee so my 10 year old daughter decided to stay with me at the top. They said there were people on the trail in flip flops carrying a single 12oz bottle of water in t-shirt and shorts. Stupid is as stupid does.

When my wife and I hiked the Inca Trail in Peru we were in our 60's. There were quite a few obviously obese people starting the trail. It started at 9,000 feet and went up over 14,000. Although the air was cool the sun was intense. I was surprised how many people turned back after a couple miles. We trained for 6 months to get into shape and these people just sort of showed up. You pay a lot of money to hike the trail so it's like WTF were they thinking?
bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

" . . . it's like WTF were they thinking?

People watch too many movies.

1968. US Army. The Captain ordered the company to jog at the end of the day with packs and rifles. The next day, the entire company had only 37 people reported ready on the morning report - and the commanding general had the company stand down.

Do you remember the movie in which Rambo is training in the Thai jungle by running up the steps? I can tell you how he did it. He stayed in an air conditioned trailer until the scene was shot. When my little one saw the movie, he exclaimed "Rambo is stupid" because we had both been up those steps in the jungle. It was hard going, just walking. My kid had rejected taking the elevator to the top of the steps which was available.

My brother walked the Inca Trail. I would never do it. I already walked the Khyber Pass to Pakistan and only because it was the only way available at the time to get out of Afghanistan. I don't need challenges.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

aerynsun wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:19 pm
People don't get the importance of heat, humidity and UV index.

https://www.weather.gov/ama/heatindex

https://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/html/heatindex.shtml
Exactly right. Wasn't but a few years ago a husband went hiking around some Mexican resort with just a water bottle. Sent a pic to his wife but then nothing. Found a day or so later dead of dehydration not that far from the resort.

Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Hey, I got an idea...Let's hike DEATH Valley in the summertime.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Yeah, you'd think they'd get the hint when 'death' is right in the name!