New Ruger LCP Max

The section on firearms, knives, bows, improvised and other weaponry. Defensive tactics, self defense, martial arts. Home and personal security. Includes ballistics, modifications and maintenance.
David
Administrator

Re: New Ruger LCP Max

Post by David »

Bob wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:13 pm and you should be two! ;)
Too :lol:
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Erich

Post by Erich »

Can you imagine a VEGAN P365 owner? ;)
David
Administrator

Post by David »

I wanted to update my experience with the LCP Max.

As I noted in a different thread, I took a trip to Texas last week to help my nephew. Since I flew out, and only had a carry-on, I didn't take a firearm with me. However, he had recently purchased a couple of new pistols, a Sig P365XL and a Ruger LCP Max. So I knew I'd have a pistol to carry once I got there. I brought my LCP Max OWB holster with me and carried the Max while in Texas and for the drive back.

Have to say that I'm still very pleased with how the Max carries. While I very much like my P365 X and XL, the Max is simply the most comfortable carry option for all day carry. Not that the X or XL are necessarily uncomfortable, just that you forget you're carrying the Max.

Felt perfectly fine carrying the Max for the trip and didn't feel under-gunned in any way. 12+1 rounds of .380 is acceptable. No, it's not a go-to-war pistol. No, it's not what I'd want to be carrying when the space zombie nazi ninjas attack. But from a practical perspective it is perfectly serviceable for day-to-day defensive carry.

We arrived back in Florida after an 18+ hour drive. Returned his pistol to him and almost immediately donned my own Max as I had to take my wife to a family get-together. I fell asleep on the couch at the house we were at (everyone understood) and was able to sleep fine with the Max in my OWB holster. :D
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

David wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 9:45 am I wanted to update my experience with the LCP Max.

As I noted in a different thread, I took a trip to Texas last week to help my nephew. Since I flew out, and only had a carry-on, I didn't take a firearm with me. However, he had recently purchased a couple of new pistols, a Sig P365XL and a Ruger LCP Max. So I knew I'd have a pistol to carry once I got there. I brought my LCP Max OWB holster with me and carried the Max while in Texas and for the drive back.

Have to say that I'm still very pleased with how the Max carries. While I very much like my P365 X and XL, the Max is simply the most comfortable carry option for all day carry. Not that the X or XL are necessarily uncomfortable, just that you forget you're carrying the Max.

Felt perfectly fine carrying the Max for the trip and didn't feel under-gunned in any way. 12+1 rounds of .380 is acceptable. No, it's not a go-to-war pistol. No, it's not what I'd want to be carrying when the space zombie nazi ninjas attack. But from a practical perspective it is perfectly serviceable for day-to-day defensive carry.

We arrived back in Florida after an 18+ hour drive. Returned his pistol to him and almost immediately donned my own Max as I had to take my wife to a family get-together. I fell asleep on the couch at the house we were at (everyone understood) and was able to sleep fine with the Max in my OWB holster. :D
I carried my regular LCP for awhile, it is tiny and you forget you're carrying it. On the other hand I prefer the LC9s, tucked in a pocket or IWB with a belt clip. Carried it that way for years.

The last two or three times I've carried my G3c IWB back and forth to FL while driving. Gotten to the point where I don't notice it anymore and like the increased capacity.

On the other, other hand the last time I drove up to my woods house I forgot the G3c. I stopped and pulled my Ruger P97 out of the lock box I keep in the truck and tucked it into my belt. Pretty easy to carry that way and I forgot I had it for the 3 hour drive.

Point is (with the realization that you don't have a choice sometimes) you can get used to anything so why limit yourself?
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Mac66 wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 5:50 pm Point is (with the realization that you don't have a choice sometimes) you can get used to anything so why limit yourself?
In regards to the trip back from Texas, I left the XL for my nephew. If I'm only going to family/friends house the Max is fine and simply more comfortable. For general carry, it's either the X or XL. Went to the movies last night with my son and carried the X and he had his P365 standard.

Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

So...LCP MAX or Sig 365???

If I were to go Modern?
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Bob wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 10:22 pm So...LCP MAX or Sig 365???

If I were to go Modern?
Depends on if you want to stay 9mm or not. The Max is noticeably smaller and lighter so it's more of a pocket pistol and/or BUG. The P365 is more capable overall and in the long run. Plus it has options the Max doesn't have. The Max is perfect for it's niche. The question is if you want a pistol in that niche.

Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

Never thought of it that way....yeah, pass. Don't want/need anything in that space.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Looks like I'll be picking up another Max this evening. My son asked if he could try out my Max and he's been carrying it regular for the last couple of weeks, except for one day when I attended a funeral and 'borrowed' it back. We went to the range on Monday and that is one of the pistols he shot and liked it quite well.

So last night on a local BST site I saw a Max advertised in like-new condition for $350 and the seller is only about 15 minutes away. So I contacted him and arranged a meet up this evening. I'll gift one to my son (probably the one he's carrying now) and have the other for my use.

I'm keeping the 12-round mag for me though, he can get his own 12-round mag :lol:

David
Administrator

Post by David »

I picked up the Max this evening. Looks pretty much brand new. Front night sight is nice and bright.

I did end up buying a new 12-round mag this morning. So I'll gift my son the Max I was using with a 10 and 12 round mag. And I'll have the same set up.

Need to look into getting some XTP rounds for it now.