New Ruger LCP Max

The section on firearms, knives, bows, improvised and other weaponry. Defensive tactics, self defense, martial arts. Home and personal security. Includes ballistics, modifications and maintenance.
David
Administrator

Re: New Ruger LCP Max

Post by David »

Well, I continue to be impressed with the Max. It's starting to get hot and humid now in Florida. As small as my P365 and XL are, I decided to wear the Max yesterday while out and about doing errands. In addition to being a bit smaller, it's around 8 ounces lighter which makes a difference when wearing it all day in the heat. I can foresee it getting a lot of use this summer. It's nice when you forget you're carrying.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Erich

Post by Erich »

I like mine quite a good bit and have been pocket-carrying it the last couple days. :)
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Not a Max in the video, but shows what this line of pistol is capable of doing. Not practical but interesting to watch anyway.

A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

So, should I have just got the Max instead of the EC9?
Would the Max help keep me away from the 365?
Erich

Post by Erich »

Eesh, that's a tough one, Bob. For me the LCP Max is a winner in that I can flip the mag release (I'm a lefty and I have a L O N G history of inadvertent mag drops with left-side magazine release buttons) and it has capacity and it's tiny and it works and it's pretty cheap. But the .380 is pretty marginal (Uncle Mas says, "Friends don't let friends carry mouse guns," when I bring this gun up), for sure. With ball ammo, it will make a hole and it's unlikely to overpenetrate . . . but it sure isn't the balance of capability/shootability that a 9x19 brings.

But - even though I often swap through guns and many of my friends are into the P365s - I'm just not wanting one. I've already got other small nines that fill that role. Sure, they're a little bigger, but . . . they're a little bigger and I can conceal them just fine. And they run just fine. And I already have them.

You know how it is - the heart wants what the heart wants. If your heart wants a P365, for Heaven's sake get one. :) You deserve it!
Erich

Post by Erich »

Thought this might be of interest:

At 4:50 he starts talking about whether it's a replacement for a P365 . . . I can see his point. But I disagree that it's as unreliable as my LCP-II Lite Rack .22.

I'd note that his criticism of the gun's reliability appears to stem from his thumb's activating the mag release during recoil. Now, there's a fix for that, Rhett, and the LCP Max let's you do it: move the sucker to the other side. And there's just no way my LCP II Lite Rack .22 LR is anywhere near as reliable as my Max. I also do not feel it to have recoil that's more unpleasant than any J-38.

I respect this guy's iconoclastic nature and clear experience, but I'd note that I don't hold the LCR-22 in nearly the high esteem he does. Even if you've mastered the "Ruger Bounce" that's required learning for anyone who learned to shoot on a Smith or Colt revolver, I find his claim of 8k rounds between malfs with the light .22 to be remarkable - even with CCI or Aguila (Eley-primed, don't you know?) ammo, I don't find this gun to ignite as reliably as a centerfire primer.
Last edited by Erich on Thu Sep 15, 2022 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Bob wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:22 pm So, should I have just got the Max instead of the EC9?
IMO...the LCP Max is still just a 380 which is a marginal cartridge. I've tried LCPs and other 380s but at the end of the day I've always gone back to my LC9/EC9/LC9s which I pocket carry or belt clip carry just as easy as my LCP.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Bob wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:22 pm So, should I have just got the Max instead of the EC9?
What the P365 was to 9mm, the Max is to .380.

None of us are 'one gun only' guys. Having said that, if any of us were to have one and only one gun would we be satisfied with pistol X? I think that is a viable consideration. Would you feel comfortable with .380 that had the attributes of the Max? High capacity, small, light, concealable, good sights. All of that is pretty substantial and worth consideration. .380 is not 9mm but it's not a BB either.

Is the P365 'better'? Guess it depends on your definition of 'better'. I'm thinking that if you took the plunge into one you'd be hooked. I'd recommend looking at either the X or XL but the nice thing is that they are a mix and match (somewhat). The platform, for me, checks all the boxes.

Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

David wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 11:08 am
What the P365 was to 9mm, the Max is to .380.

None of us are 'one gun only' guys. Having said that, if any of us were to have one and only one gun would we be satisfied with pistol X? I think that is a viable consideration. Would you feel comfortable with .380 that had the attributes of the Max? High capacity, small, light, concealable, good sights. All of that is pretty substantial and worth consideration. .380 is not 9mm but it's not a BB either.

Is the P365 'better'? Guess it depends on your definition of 'better'. I'm thinking that if you took the plunge into one you'd be hooked. I'd recommend looking at either the X or XL but the nice thing is that they are a mix and match (somewhat). The platform, for me, checks all the boxes.
LOL - I have no idea what you are talking about Dave. That said, what I really need to dop is move further north where I can where an OWB and carry my Browning HP or Baretta... :lol:
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

Erich wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:33 pm You know how it is - the heart wants what the heart wants. If your heart wants a P365, for Heaven's sake get one. :) You deserve it!
The thing is, I don't. But I am CONSTANTLY socially pressured by 365 owners. :(

I swear they are worse than Cross-fit people about letting you know they are 365 owners, and you should be two! ;)

Did you know that if someone with a 10mm is in a gun fight at 100yds with someone with a 365, that the 10mm rounds will refuse to leave the barrel in fear of the 365? :lol: