Electrolytes

Everything you need to know about making and keeping water potable.
David
Administrator

Electrolytes

Post by David »

Anyone add some form of electrolytes to their water when out-and-about, hunting, camping or in an EDC or GHB?

Many years ago at work I started feeling lousy. Don't quite recall the circumstances but I remember I was weak, fatigued, shaking etc. One of the nurse I new was an old Army nurse/medic. He was a good buddy of mine. He said, 'Go get two Gatoraides and slam them. Don't sip them. Slam them'. Well I did and yep, I felt quite a bit better in short order.

Summer in Florida can take a toll on you. The high heat with the high humidity can be brutal. You break a sweat just walking to the car. As a result, you lose a lot of minerals sweating. While Gatoraide isn't the healthiest option all the time it does have a well documented purpose. As a side note, Gatoraide was developed at the University of Florida (Gators) for their football team. Took off from there.

I use to get the cans of Gatoraide (or one similar if it was on sale) and put some in a small container to put in the car or bag. These days when I leave the house I'll have my Camelbak with ice, water, Ribose, Collogen and a packet of Emergen-C. And I'll have a few extra packets of Emergen-C in my EDC. You have to have water but you also need to replace those electrolytes.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
aerynsun

Re: Electrolytes

Post by aerynsun »

There are two issues that can seem similar.
1.You used up all the ready energy in your blood and mussels. Bicyclist call this 'bonking'. With this type of exercise you need to constantly eat/drink usually simple carbs.

2. Drinking a lot of water can reduce the electrolytes.
https://www.gundersenhealth.org/health- ... rolytes%20(sodium%2C%20potassium%2C%20magnesium,and%20cause%20sodium%20levels%20plummet.
tom mac
Board Founder

Post by tom mac »

they now sell small powder packages made for water bottles.. easy to dump in and no storage issues
You can't fix stupid !
David
Administrator

Post by David »

tom mac wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:56 am they now sell small powder packages made for water bottles.. easy to dump in and no storage issues
Of Gatoraide or another supplement?
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
tom mac
Board Founder

Post by tom mac »

I get the lemon costco packets but there are many.... just cause we use costco

Pure Cane Sugar, Dextrose, Citric Acid, Salt, Potassium Citrate, Sodium Citrate, Dipotassium Phosphate, Silicon Dioxide, Rebaudioside A (stevia Leaf Extract), Natural Flavors, Vitamin C (Ascorbic Acid), Vitamin B3 (Niacinamide), Vitamin B5 (D-Calcium Pantothenate), Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine Hydrochloride), Vitamin B12 (Cyanocobalamin).

https://www.costco.com/liquid-i.v.-hydr ... 01223.html
https://www.amazon.com/customerpicks/Ex ... cd10649836
https://www.walmart.com/browse/food/ele ... 19_5534309
You can't fix stupid !
David
Administrator

Post by David »

This is what we normally get at Costco.

https://www.costco.com/emergen-c-vitami ... 14310.html

David
Administrator

Post by David »

Decided to add a thread in the DIY section on making your own healthy sports drinks like Gatoraide.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=791&p=7486#p7486

bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

I will submit the following for consideration.
1. when you read about "shelf life" of a product, understand that it may just represent that some prescription maker or over the counter seller had tested the shelf life of a product for only 2 or 3 years when the actual product life may be substantially longer.
2. I store UN rehydration salts. Nothing in the ingredients goes "bad" in and of themselves. They might go bad (generate mold, change molecular structure, etc.) when mixed with water.
3. I don't know if gatorade or pedialyte solutions actually go "bad". So "shelf life" doesn't mean that the manufacturer has actually tested the product under all kinds of storage conditions for years and years. I simply don't buy the liquid, but save the dry salts for shtf. I store my supply in a sheltered/dark/not hot place.
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

I have never had this problem. My body handles heavy sweat pretty well, and my body handles salt well too.

That said - I usually keep dried packets of Gatorade in my bag for such a thing!

I also stock Gatorade/power aide in my home stores because, Florida.
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

aerynsun wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:07 pm There are two issues that can seem similar.
1.You used up all the ready energy in your blood and mussels. Bicyclist call this 'bonking'. With this type of exercise you need to constantly eat/drink usually simple carbs.

2. Drinking a lot of water can reduce the electrolytes.
https://www.gundersenhealth.org/health- ... rolytes%20(sodium%2C%20potassium%2C%20magnesium,and%20cause%20sodium%20levels%20plummet.
As a long distance biker, been there felt that. ALWAYS stop at every Convenience market for fuel! Never drink plain water.