Electrolytes

Everything you need to know about making and keeping water potable.
David
Administrator

Re: Electrolytes

Post by David »

A Middle Eastern method is simply squeezing a lemon into room temp water. I've done this and can say that it did the trick.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Maybe it's the injury wearing me down, but the heat has really been getting to me lately. Had our pre-drywall inspection yesterday at the new house. Three times I had to go sit in the car with the air on. An electrolyte drink does help me get my energy back though.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

Electrolyte information.
1. the infant drink is pedialyte. Do not know anything about shelf life.
2. Gatoraide. Concocted by a university professor using US funds. US sued and got some of the royalties.
3. Try using potassium and magnesium tablets instead of table salt. Those two minerals cannot be stored in the body. When a person has restless leg syndrome, the doctor will have these plain generic tablets consumed at bed time.
4. The United Nations hydration salts are produced at a Missouri company. I have a case or two in the garage. Doesn't go bad.
aerynsun

Post by aerynsun »

David wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:14 am Maybe it's the injury wearing me down, but the heat has really been getting to me lately. Had our pre-drywall inspection yesterday at the new house. Three times I had to go sit in the car with the air on. An electrolyte drink does help me get my energy back though.
You should get a check up. There could be many other issues with the symptoms you are having.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

It's definitely the injury. I was sore in the arm and hip as well. Just wears you out.

David
Administrator

Post by David »

Costco has a new product.

I can't find it on the Costco website but that's where I've bought it. The WM price is way more than Costco which was around $20 for 90 packets. A few bucks less than Emergen-C.

Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

Cool - I'm guessing (but don't know) that they can't hurt.

Reseacrh has it that the mega-C actually helps with a lot of things but that 5000 units or so is the number. Not sure on the number - but way more than 1000.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

As far as Vit C goes, I've heard from multiple sources that it's individual as far as the number. They advise you take 1000 every hour to bowel tolerance. In other works, take 1000 every hour till you start to get the runs then back it off to the number just before that. Particularly if you're feeling ill.

David
Administrator

Post by David »

These packets are a good thing to add to a BOB or even an EDC sling bag that is carried. Many times, especially in the summer you start to feel the heat and these things really help. They tend to 'harden' if kept in the heat of a vehicle for an extended time but other wise seem to be good for a very long time.

bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

Based on David's posting, I did some more research.
1. The sodium content of the Un re-hydration salts has gone down since I bought my supply. I will put an order in for more in the near future. It runs about 50 cents a pack or serving.
2. The shelf life of the non liquid hydration salts is indefinite.
3. We live in a world wherein a person simply cannot have an IV set up at home without the government's permission. In a pinch, you might have to find an alternative approach to get necessary salts and liquids into a dehydrated person. Providing re-hydration salts in a drinkable liquid solution, with or without flavors may be an only available alternative.