Whole house generators

From clothing to man-made to commercial shelters.
Mac66
Board Founder

Whole house generators

Post by Mac66 »

Finally had an electrician out to give me a quote on my new house. Generec was running a promotion with free* extended 7 year warranty and free* wifi montoring. (we can't get internet out in the sticks unless we go satellite).

For my 1400 sq foot house he quoted a 14kw whole house propane genset for $6900 which includes installation and permits etc. That was a couple K more than I expected.

I'm not sure we need 14kw. Considering we are unlikely to need/use the AC or electric dryer or microwave in an emergency. What we do need is to power the fridge, furnace, water pump and some lights. I requested an alternative quote for a 10kw unit.

I consider a generator for emergency use only in which case we would be rationing power not running the whole house business as usual.

I also plan on getting quotes from other electricians.

*nothing is free, you pay at one end or the other
David
Administrator

Re: Whole house generators

Post by David »

I picked up one of the brochures from Costco on the Generec. I need to have them come out and give me a quote as well.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

Good for you. While you are at it, I make the following suggestions, based upon my unfortunate experiences with a 1950 constructed house with upgrades that were not documented:
1. record the manufacturer and model of your electric panel;
2. have someone give you two copies of a drawing of the circuits and keep one sacrosanct for when you do work on the electrical;
3. get a range of suggestions from the Costco guy. I think you are going to hook up the generator to your panel. If you can close off some circuits when you turn on the generator, you will be ahead.
4. I had a Generac and gave it to a stepson as I never used it and I am not faced with the challenges of your location.
5. If you can get a propane fueled unit, you are better off.
6. Ask how often you have to service the unit and how if it is not used. I had a gasoline unit and once you ever used it, you had to routinely service it.
tom mac
Board Founder

Post by tom mac »

Ask how often you have to service the unit and how if it is not used. I had a gasoline unit and once you ever used it, you had to routinely service it.

I have a 7500w unit that is gas powered... It does run the whole house except the 220v items ( stove, ac, dryer ).

I have no real maintenance or service issues. I run it once a year when I change out the gas, that's it. Oil get done every 100 hours( or every 2 yrs ) but is no worse than changing oil on a lawn mower.
BUT, will say make sure you have a Petcock on the gas line or install one... that way when it is run you turn the gas off and the carb will run dry. This prevents most of the starting issues down the road from old gas.
You can't fix stupid !
aerynsun

Post by aerynsun »

Mac66 wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:41 am Finally had an electrician out to give me a quote on my new house. Generec was running a promotion with free* extended 7 year warranty and free* wifi montoring. (we can't get internet out in the sticks unless we go satellite).

For my 1400 sq foot house he quoted a 14kw whole house propane genset for $6900 which includes installation and permits etc. That was a couple K more than I expected.

I'm not sure we need 14kw. Considering we are unlikely to need/use the AC or electric dryer or microwave in an emergency. What we do need is to power the fridge, furnace, water pump and some lights. I requested an alternative quote for a 10kw unit.

I consider a generator for emergency use only in which case we would be rationing power not running the whole house business as usual.

I also plan on getting quotes from other electricians.

*nothing is free, you pay at one end or the other
You sound as if you only want if for very little draw. Get a good inverter generator and a serge protector. You can find them that run on gasoline AND propane.

Also get a quiet generator. Then look up on the net how to build a sound deadening box to keep it even quieter. Two reasons for this:
- people don't know you have it.
- it doesn't get stolen when you are using it.

You may be able to keep it simple and save money with this idea.

https://www.geekonthehill.com/2018/09/2 ... -my-house/
aerynsun

Post by aerynsun »

David wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:13 am I picked up one of the brochures from Costco on the Generec. I need to have them come out and give me a quote as well.
See my post above. You will save a lot of money if you have the above now by your electrician and your propane/gas line install. They can insert a gas line tap to feed the generator.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Thank you :)
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
aerynsun

Post by aerynsun »

David wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:26 pmThank you :)
Don't forget to ask your electrician about a whole house serge protector. It can save all your electric goods from low and high power issues.
aerynsun

Post by aerynsun »

David wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:26 pmThank you :)
One thing with a portable generator in an emergency is that it can get stolen when you need it most. So plan ahead on placement.

Consider a raised pad (to keep water away from it) with eye bolts that you can chain the generator to. And research the sound deading enclousures on the net. Don't leave the generator in the box during normal times. Don't be surprised if the neighbors without power stop buy asking if they can store their food in your freezer or to charge their electronics. The best thing you can do in advance is get yours set up and then tell others how inexpensive and easy it is to do. Give them your electrician, generator info and building plans.

I've seen ideas where people have set them up in their garage with an exhaust fan and hole through the garage door to vet the gas. This is extremely dangerous.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Good advice. Thinking about the Generac or something similar so I'll look into how it may be secured down to a concrete pad (which I'll likely pour ahead of time).