Why prepping is no longer popular?

A general discussion area for topics not specifically covered elsewhere on the board. NO politics. If the topic would fit it a specific section please post in that specific section.
aerynsun

Why prepping is no longer popular?

Post by aerynsun »

That's the question. I remember 80s to about 2010 when prepping was popular. Now you don't hear about it. Even on Youtube, it seems to have declined.

I think a lot of people believe in magic - the magic gun or knife is going to save them. Covid should have changed that a bit when shortages appeared. Then again they only lasted a short time. BUT, the smart person saw the vulnerability of the supply chain. The power outages in Texas should have shown people how vulnerable they are; but I doubt it.

For me the most important things for a prepper are health, knowledge, supplies and security.

The idea of bugging out and living off the land, does not make sense. I couldn't/wouldn't want to do it for an extended period of time. Yet, a lot of time is devoted to it.
Bob
Board Founder

Re: Why prepping is no longer popular?

Post by Bob »

I agree that the "bug out" thing is more of a survivalist fantasy.
Preparedness and survival are also two different things. Very related, but different.
Just like we measure days of Self-sufficiency vs % sustainability. Two different things...

The survival part is easy to get into though. It's the go-camping by cool gear stuff.
- You need packs, guns, meds etc...and God knows we all love that stuff!

But as you mature as a prepper, it becomes more about preparedness. At some point, fairly quickly, you have a pack, a tend, a water filter and a cool knife. What then?

You move to the realization that the world is actually about what you said - the temporary interruption of services. And means
- Water stocks, a Berkey
- Canned food stocks, rice buckets
- Basic home repair materials, battery banks and generators
- Bugging IN until things get back to normal, vs heading for the hills.
bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

There is a real difference between self-reliance and self-sufficiency. Virtually no one is capable of self sufficiency and will not admit it to themselves.

A bit more than 50 years ago, I was an enlisted man in the army. I was shocked at how many young men had never been ready to work at 7 am, had never made a bed, never held a job, never had cooked a meal, never shot a rifle, had a bare knowledge of hygiene, never camped out. Do you think that has changed today - without a draft for the last 40 years? So, there are a whole lot of people like that in their 30s through 60s today.

You asked "what then". Tonight, I am in the attic. I am going through the optics. 20 or so years ago, I wrote an outline of how to teach optics to a special military unit that was expanded to 36 pages. Three weeks ago, I gave away three pair of glass. Yesterday, I located two pair of new glass to give to relatives. Tomorrow I will go to a camera shop and buy some lens covers. Get rid of what you don't need and give it to your circle.

"What then". This week, I gave baskets of fruit to neighbors (while learning gossip, but not relaying any), to my auto repair guy (and learned what equipment he had to service my catalytic converter and related hardware in September 2021 - and it keeps my bill down.)
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

aerynsun wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:08 pm That's the question. I remember 80s to about 2010 when prepping was popular. Now you don't hear about it. Even on Youtube, it seems to have declined.

I think a lot of people believe in magic - the magic gun or knife is going to save them. Covid should have changed that a bit when shortages appeared. Then again they only lasted a short time. BUT, the smart person saw the vulnerability of the supply chain. The power outages in Texas should have shown people how vulnerable they are; but I doubt it.

For me the most important things for a prepper are health, knowledge, supplies and security.

The idea of bugging out and living off the land, does not make sense. I couldn't/wouldn't want to do it for an extended period of time. Yet, a lot of time is devoted to it.

I don't know, I've heard a lot about prepping in the last year or so what with the virus. There's even been some "preppers" on the news talking about it. I think popularity increased when people couldn't find stuff in the stores (i.e toilet paper etc).

As I've said before, I've been "prepping" since Jimmy Carter was elected. In that time frame I've gotten married, had kids, had a career, retired, kids grew up and moved out and I'm still waiting for the collapse. However I did always have alternative shelter in the form of a travel trailer (only used once in an emergency i.e, ice storm power outage) but used often for travel. I've also managed to survive several other power outages, the stock market crash, some health issues etc.

Also during that time I bought some land and built a cabin as both a recreational place and possible bug out location. I've since built a year round home on it which I plan to move to in the next couple of years. In other words I not only prepared to survive but to live life fully.

Bottom line is that if you prepare for things that will likely happen (fires, theft, weather, economic ups and downs (i.e, jobs etc) you will likely be "prepped" for life.
Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

Another thing that occurs is that terms change or start to be intermingled. You watch homesteading videos and they seem to have become more of prepping video verses homesteading (not all channels, just a generalized statement). I think prepping got a bad rap thanks to the Discovery show so now some don't like that term, instead we are homesteading.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

The media does normally tend to portray 'preppers' as the guys digging spider holes and sitting in bunkers on a ton of ammo. In other words, the media like to portray preppers as loons. And by the media I'm talking MSM and Hollywood.

In reality, prepping is what most of our grandparents did to survive. Put a little away for a rainy day. Can food. Hunt. Be thrifty.

But you notice society is geared now towards instant gratification and satisfaction. It's a fast food society and it was designed that way on purpose to that folks moved away from being self-sufficient and rather learned to lean on institutions that can be radically altered at will and by design.

It's not that prepping is no longer popular, it's seen as unnecessary. Why prep when Amazon can have whatever you need at your door tomorrow? Of course they don't think past that to 'what if Amazon doesn't exist' or 'what if there is something that causes a shortage'. This last year may have woke a few people up. Most still rely on a fragile system.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
aerynsun

Post by aerynsun »

I belive prepping will become more important in the future then it was in the past for most people.

I should have added financial prepping to my first post.

People are living paycheck to paycheck, no retirement or emergency funds. The population in the USA and around the world is growing BUT, workers are being replaced by computers, robots and artificial intelligence. These things are being praised but no one addresses the results - where will people work?

Think about taxi/uber/doordash/big rig drivers. What will happen to them when self driving cars are a reality?

The only thing I can think about is the government dole . But, who will be taxed to provide the funds.

I think the people here will be fine because we are old. Your children's children may not fare so well.
aerynsun

Post by aerynsun »

Bmyers wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:31 am Another thing that occurs is that terms change or start to be intermingled. You watch homesteading videos and they seem to have become more of prepping video verses homesteading (not all channels, just a generalized statement). I think prepping got a bad rap thanks to the Discovery show so now some don't like that term, instead we are homesteading.
I agree with you about the Discovery issue. But, those homesteading shows look like people trying to keep their head above water and it is a hard and fragile life. If someone becomes ill or hospitalized they can lose everything. I think preppers and the homesteaders focus a bit too much on what they spend instead of their income. You might hate your job, but if it pays well, you could have a good life.

I worked in a large corporation. It paid well and was easy; both mentally and physically. It is hard to find such jobs now, except maybe in the computer field.
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

There is no doubt that the media/.Gov do NOT want a well prepared society. Remember - a lot of their importance is saving you from disaster.

The more prepared you are, the less you need them. They don't want that at all.
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

aerynsun wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:49 pm - where will people work?

The only thing I can think about is the government dole . But, who will be taxed to provide the funds.

I think the people here will be fine because we are old. Your children's children may not fare so well.
I can answer this; You are trying to solve a big problem all by yourself. It doesn't have to be so hard. And...it shows you are cught in a trap, one that "they" (whichever they you want...) wants you in.

Here we go

#1. Most people work because they need money for food/shelter/healthcare, and they want stuff.
#2. Most would rather be doing something else - even if they like their job. I'm a fairly empowered internal consultant, but I'd rather be playing music, writing, and practicing martial arts. Almost no one woke up and said "I'd like to be THIS when I grow up" and are doing it
#3 You create a blockchain based UBI that provides for a basic apartment, utilities and food. Call it a minimum of $30k per year. Enough for Food/Shelter/health, and some entertainment
#4 You get it no matter what, every year, everyone. Immediately homeless are gone almost, and people stop doing what they hate just to feed themselves.
#6 If you want more - you can work - at anything. Create a restaurant, open a food truck, start a farm, teach painting, create a band, make funny videos, whatever. Be a cop, a fireman, a doctor. Whatever....you get paid and do more.

Or...just watch netflix, read books, and hang out at the beach.

You say "But who would run the McDonalds?" Well, we have roboticized it, and someone will watch over the Bots for $25k, which would give them $55k total to buy their boat in a couple of years, or a small house or whatever.

You think that wouldn't work?