Is your vehicle ready for winter?

A general discussion area for topics not specifically covered elsewhere on the board. NO politics. If the topic would fit it a specific section please post in that specific section.
Bmyers
Board Founder

Is your vehicle ready for winter?

Post by Bmyers »

We had 3 inches of snow last night with some sleet/freezing rain. Currently snowing now and calling for 7 inches of snow.

So, if you get stranded in your vehicle, is it prepared for you to use it as shelter? We have a sleeping bag in each vehicle and a blanket in each vehicle. Do you keep the tank above a half tank so you can use the engine for heat?
bdc
Board Founder

Re: Is your vehicle ready for winter?

Post by bdc »

Always more than 1/2 full. Have space blankets in car. Extra jacket/change of clothes.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

I consider 1/2 a tank as empty. I have a heavy duty tote box in the back with FAK, jumper cables, water, fire-making supplies, flashlights, Mylar (both heavy duty and the folded up type) and fleece blankets, emergency vest and other prep gear. We don’t have to worry about the severe cold weather of many of you folks, or the snow or ice but have appropriate gear for general use. I do keep a light jacket in the car with umbrellas and ponchos. Also have the sillcock key, glass breaker/seat belt cutter and several knives.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

Again - your vehicle should be ready period! May need to bug out at any moment. It is the most likely source of a life altering injury.
Strayz

Post by Strayz »

Well, I have to start quite a bit earlier in the season that most. I live in the 49th state. Sept 30 or Oct 1 is swap out day. The Day I pull out the summer insta crate and put in the winter insta crate. I daily drive a Jeep Grand Cherokee for perspective.

Off the top of my head it has the following.
snow shovel
12 16 oz water bottles
one box of open and shake hand warmers.
extra winter jacket, and gloves for everyone.
extra pair of heavy wool socks for everyone.
1 polar fleese blanker for everyone.
my first aid kit.
box of sanitary hand wipes.
4 all weather road flares. Best way to start an emergency fire ever.
2 tubes of fire gel in tubes and packaged in PVC tube to keep from breaking open and making a real mess.
3 pairs of yak trax. If it was slick enough to slide me off the road then I need to be able to safely travel on my feet too.
2 rolls of toilet paper.
1 roll of paper towels. .
box of poptarts. (Good for picking up moral)
box of kind bars.
16x10 tarp Cheep one sometimes 2.
small fire kit. ( 5 different ways to make a fire.)
half dozen 1 gallon ziplock bags.
heavy duty rain gear.
emergency whistle,
few extra misc stuff that are quality of life things.
Yes the box is packed as tight as I can make it and it over flows from time to time, but I make sure that the gear is there.

If we are going on a long trip or over night, I add extra things.

I am sure there is more in that over flowing box, but I can not remember at this time.

I should also qualify that I do keep a tool bag in the vehicle at all times, along with water and MRE's that are rotated out spring and fall and sold at local gun shows. To buy new ones that go back in the car. Most are well with in the expiration dates I just don't like keeping things long term in a car over summers.

Oh yeah, I have at least 3-4 flashlights at any given time in both rigs. (BLF member)
Sometimes things need to be said, Other times things must be done.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Strayz wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:53 pm Well, I have to start quite a bit earlier in the season that most. I live in the 49th state. Sept 30 or Oct 1 is swap out day. The Day I pull out the summer insta crate and put in the winter insta crate. I daily drive a Jeep Grand Cherokee for perspective.

Off the top of my head it has the following.
snow shovel
12 16 oz water bottles
one box of open and shake hand warmers.
extra winter jacket, and gloves for everyone.
extra pair of heavy wool socks for everyone.
1 polar fleese blanker for everyone.
my first aid kit.
box of sanitary hand wipes.
4 all weather road flares. Best way to start an emergency fire ever.
2 tubes of fire gel in tubes and packaged in PVC tube to keep from breaking open and making a real mess.
3 pairs of yak trax. If it was slick enough to slide me off the road then I need to be able to safely travel on my feet too.
2 rolls of toilet paper.
1 roll of paper towels. .
box of poptarts. (Good for picking up moral)
box of kind bars.
16x10 tarp Cheep one sometimes 2.
small fire kit. ( 5 different ways to make a fire.)
half dozen 1 gallon ziplock bags.
heavy duty rain gear.
emergency whistle,
few extra misc stuff that are quality of life things.
Yes the box is packed as tight as I can make it and it over flows from time to time, but I make sure that the gear is there.

If we are going on a long trip or over night, I add extra things.

I am sure there is more in that over flowing box, but I can not remember at this time.

I should also qualify that I do keep a tool bag in the vehicle at all times, along with water and MRE's that are rotated out spring and fall and sold at local gun shows. To buy new ones that go back in the car. Most are well with in the expiration dates I just don't like keeping things long term in a car over summers.

Oh yeah, I have at least 3-4 flashlights at any given time in both rigs. (BLF member)
I can appreciate that list because of your location. My aunt and uncle lived in Valdez for 30 years. Special things for that environment.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
KILLERtj

Post by KILLERtj »

I'd like to think so...
Blankets, hand warmers, gloves, hats, 6pk H2O, emergency triangle, emergency flares, extra boots, jumper pack, flashlights, strap-on ice crampons, etc...

KILLERtj