So, SCCY...

The section on firearms, knives, bows, improvised and other weaponry. Defensive tactics, self defense, martial arts. Home and personal security. Includes ballistics, modifications and maintenance.
Bob
Board Founder

So, SCCY...

Post by Bob »

I have been looking at these lately. Always kind of shyed away from them in preference of a good deal on a Ruger LC or EC (In muddy giorl, of course). But been watching vids and reading. Looks like these work pretty well. And now available in multiple colors and this config with red dot?

Expensive for what it is - but isn't everything these days?

David
Administrator

Re: So, SCCY...

Post by David »

I got one as part of a trade years ago but never shot it. Traded it away shortly thereafter. I don't remember the screen name but someone on GT has one and likes it. And I've seen favorable reviews on YT. But it seems to be lumped in with Taurus and other brands in that price range. Think I'd prefer a good LC9(s). But admittedly I don't have experience either way to make a judgement call on it.

I do know they are made over in Daytona and IIRC they have a lifetime warranty. And it's suppose to be pretty good CS?
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

I'm getting urges. There is a 4lb trigger kit, now that I've explored my Glock. Might be fun!
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Bob wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:54 am I'm getting urges. There is a 4lb trigger kit, now that I've explored my Glock. Might be fun!
Well...you gonna get one?
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

SCCY or SKY as they were originally known is/was a knockoff of the Keltec P11. Just like Ruger stole the design when the patent ran out, a former Keltec employee started making his own P11 clones. They were considered cheap knockoffs before the convid thing, since then the prices have tripled and suddenly, and as a result, they are considered high(er) quality.

Having said that I have no idea what the quality is on them these days. The ability to add an optic adds some value.
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

Watched a lot of vids pre-Covid. They seem pretty solid.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Made in Daytona with a life time warranty if that helps.

Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Interesting that you bring this up. My older brother just got his concealed carry license and was asking me what he should get to carry. He has a full size 9mm (XD9) but wants something smaller. I showed him my LC9s Pro on Sunday when we visited my mom on Mother's Day. He thought is was about the right size. I ended up lending him my original LC9 this week until he can find something. He picked it up at my mom's place (I take care of her on Mon-Tues, he on Wed/Thur.

Ideally a LC9/EC9s/LC9s, or perhaps a S&W Shield, or maybe a small Taurus or even a SCCY. He doesn't want to spend a fortune, just something that works. The problem is finding something/anything these days. He even looked at a Diamond Back 9mm. Not sure about that one.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

I had a SCCY once because it came as part of a trade. Never shot it. But it was a good size and felt fine as far as in the hand. Capacity was decent-to-good IIRC. The few people that I know or have seen that have/shoot SCCY's say their fine. I'm sure there are those that have had issues, but I can't point to anything in particular. I think I'd prefer a Ruger or Taurus as I've owned several of each and have vetted them.

On the 19th Taurus is suppose to be unveiling the GX4 which is their jump into the micro-9 part of the swimming pool. I've heard of 10, 11 or 12 rounds though I don't know which is right, or perhaps all of them are right? Suppose to be optic ready as well. If they follow the new Taurus marketing plan they should be priced right. I'd guess in the $300 area give-or-take. That's just a guess. As with any new design, I'd give it a year to see how it shakes out. The G2, G2c, G2s or G3 has been vetted and I'd be comfortable with any of them.

Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

FYI, the MSRP on the SCCY CPX 1RD (red dot) is $349. A local sporting goods store is advertising it in a pre memorial day sale for $379.

Be aware that it is a double action, hammer fired pistol with a trigger pull of 9lbs. 17.5 oz unloaded. There is actually two versions the CPX 1RD, and the CPX 2RD. Specs are the same, the 2 is listed as being $10 cheaper. No idea what the difference is. Also I found out that the red dot used is a Crimson Trace that is always on, i.e, no off switch. Battery life is 20,000 hours (a little over 2 years of continual use).