Paul Harrell top 5 survival tips

The section for hunting, fishing, camping, hiking and all of our outdoor adventures. This section includes gardening and the harvesting of game and other edibles.
David
Administrator

Re: Paul Harrell top 5 survival tips

Post by David »

aerynsun wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:36 pm He should have know about the 10 essentials. The list varies some, but generally the same concepts.
I'm curious how many years ago this occurred. Sounds like it may have been decades. Seems he had a fair amount of stuff with him but it definitely could have improved. Good lessons to learn from. I like Dave Canterbury's 5C's.

Bmyers wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:29 am As it was pointed out, letting someone know where you are going and when you should be back can make a big difference in the outcome.
That should be the first and best thing to do. Beats spending the night in the woods when you didn't intend to.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

I appreciate videos that are posted. .

There is also a value to getting out an practicing as many have posted. The Boy Scouts had a 50 mile hiking trip called the Silver Moccasin.
My expression was that it would be a shakedown hike.

I want to pass on another insight. I had a shakedown walk. From Lisbon, Portugal. 10 months later, in eastern Asia, my wife and I hopped a plane back to the US. We were periodically sick and the healthy person would have to carry two packs. So, I weighed mine on a scale in India, and it weighed 19 pounds. My wife's weighed 21 pounds. I had lost 40 pounds as well. How did I get into India? I walked in. You have to be ruthless in getting rid of stuff.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

For those that like Paul's long videos... :D

I actually do because I normally find some valuable tidbits in his commentary. And I like his thorough presentation. Like talking with a buddy around the campfire.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

I watched through the video.
1. there are quite a few people who should watch it, once a year. Not for only wilderness survival.
2. he didn't mention the 6th mistake that people make. I will describe it
Hypothetical. I am married with two kids.
My skills are not the skills of my wife or children. Don't make that assumption.
The little woman needs a little gun syndrome. I have seen 5 feet tall women shoot .454 magnum handguns and not complain about recoil. It is as a result of training.
The wife can't protect herself. Really? How about folder knife instruction where in you are paired with a woman 6 inches shorter than you and she does kick boxing. Been there.
Why in the h-ll do you buy an expensive flashlight with 5 functions and YOU expect your wife or kid to have mastered the unit when it has to be used.
My girlfriend does not understand north-south-east-west in urban driving conditions. She will not learn how to know directions by seeing the moon and observing it for a few minutes in its movement. She doesn't know about the north star. People in your family, your survival circle are going to have problems like that. You will not have any time to teach that in a true survival situation.
So, you figure you are going to reload when shtf. No one else has your skills. You have an immediate need for other skills your have. The reloading will never happen. Don't buy gear that you, realistically, will never use.
Get the book about the Bielski brothers. Skip the movie. Learn organizational skills that the brothers used under true and prolonged shtf conditions.
Work on situational awareness. Yes, it is rare. However, you can find an outstanding tracker. If US gis were taught that skill, there would be fewer mine/IED injuries. Yes, you can be trained to do sound tracking at night, blindfolded. Been there.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

bdcochran wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 1:17 pm My skills are not the skills of my wife or children. Don't make that assumption.
Excellent point! And especially pertinent if we are sick/injured.
bdcochran wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 1:17 pm Why in the h-ll do you buy an expensive flashlight with 5 functions and YOU expect your wife or kid to have mastered the unit when it has to be used.
And I will add the point that 'blinky' functions can be useful on a flashlight, especially if they are easy to access. Some may not like them and I've heard comments such as 'I don't need them, I'll simply tap out SOS with the light if needed'. And while a person can certainly do that, are they going to do that for an hour straight? 10 hours straight? What if you're injured, sick or need to be attending to something else equally or more important that setting up a signal for rescue? Being able to simply activate SOS or beacon or strobe and setting the flashlight up where it can be seen and then going onto the next task could be invaluable.