Paul Harrell top 5 survival tips

The section for hunting, fishing, camping, hiking and all of our outdoor adventures. This section includes gardening and the harvesting of game and other edibles.
David
Administrator

Paul Harrell top 5 survival tips

Post by David »

A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
aerynsun

Re: Paul Harrell top 5 survival tips

Post by aerynsun »

41 minutes. There might be information there that could save my life. I will never know.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

aerynsun wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:27 pm 41 minutes. There might be information there that could save my life. I will never know.
Yeah this ^^^^

He did warn that it was long and tedious. He was right. I quit watching after 5 minutes.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

You guys will never know if he survived or not :lol:

I thought it was entertaining, and he did hone in on some very good points;
  • He thought he was familiar enough with the area to 'take a short cut' at night. He was wrong. Good lesson because perspectives can change dramatically at night.
  • Fire-making tools are essential.
  • Having something to shed rain and/or provide a layer between you and the ground can be essential.
  • Be prepared to spend the night, or several rather than wandering around.
  • Food and water are essential.
  • Tell someone where you're going and when you expect to be back.
Modern tools can certainly help to avoid or mitigate a situation. Compass, cell phone, GPS etc. While most of us 'know' most of what it takes, it's good to see a real life situation to help reinforce the goods & bads, the do's and don'ts and the pros and cons.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Ronin.45
Board Founder

Post by Ronin.45 »

I have a hard time watching any of his videos. 40+ minutes ain't happening. To be fair, his tips are pretty much the same as everyone else's.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Ronin.45 wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:53 am I have a hard time watching any of his videos. 40+ minutes ain't happening. To be fair, his tips are pretty much the same as everyone else's.
I actually like most of his videos but I couldn't hang for this one.
aerynsun

Post by aerynsun »

David wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:43 am You guys will never know if he survived or not :lol:

I thought it was entertaining, and he did hone in on some very good points;
  • He thought he was familiar enough with the area to 'take a short cut' at night. He was wrong. Good lesson because perspectives can change dramatically at night.
  • Fire-making tools are essential.
  • Having something to shed rain and/or provide a layer between you and the ground can be essential.
  • Be prepared to spend the night, or several rather than wandering around.
  • Food and water are essential.
  • Tell someone where you're going and when you expect to be back.
Modern tools can certainly help to avoid or mitigate a situation. Compass, cell phone, GPS etc. While most of us 'know' most of what it takes, it's good to see a real life situation to help reinforce the goods & bads, the do's and don'ts and the pros and cons.
Well, that isn't new. He should have know about the 10 essentials. The list varies some, but generally the same concepts.
https://www.nps.gov/articles/10essentials.htm
https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice ... tials.html

Telling someone where you are going and when to expect you back is a basic in climbing & hiking. Now personnel location beacons are also used by those who do it a lot.

He needs two things 1. to write a script, 2. an editor to help him with the script.
bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

He needs two things 1. to write a script, 2. an editor to help him with the script. Yes.

Now, I make some observations, not criticisms on what I saw in the video.
1. At the beginning of the video, he is wearing cameo. Unless you WANT to hide from people, do not do that.
2. You notice his hands and face exposed in most of the film. Ok, so you don't want to wear a hat when you are speaking to the camera. Then look at the hat. When you get spots of your arms and your hands and your face, the source is the sun. Wear sun block. If you wear a hat and might get lost, wear a hat with ear flaps. I wear sunblock on the backs of my hands, arms, face when I walk. I wear a modified Rhodesian army hat in neutral, non threatening faded color. Not surprisingly, my trips to the dermatologist went down after I started doing this.
3. If it is cold enough to wear a coat in making the presentation, carry cheap US Army glove wool inserts in your generous coat pockets. When the temperature is in the 50s and I am doing my daily walk, I wear the glove inserts .
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Well, I like his style. It's unique and refreshing. And he often tells you to feel free and skip ahead if you want, like he did in this video. Even told you the spot to skip to.

I find the video valuable because it shows that even an experienced person can learn from their mistakes because we all make mistakes. And he freely discussed what he did right, what he did wrong and what he could have done better. No ego.

Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

As it was pointed out, letting someone know where you are going and when you should be back can make a big difference in the outcome. Depending on where I'm at on the farm there are spots with no cell phone coverage.

The boss lady always knows when I'm heading out there even if it is nothing more than a quick text telling her I will be out there working. It narrows the search down to 80 acres if something would happen to me while I'm out there.