Newest gun or latest upgrade

The section on firearms, knives, bows, improvised and other weaponry. Defensive tactics, self defense, martial arts. Home and personal security. Includes ballistics, modifications and maintenance.
David
Administrator

Re: Newest gun or latest upgrade

Post by David »

Bob wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 8:51 pm I'm jonesting for g19 or 17 to go in my Zombie Go Bag. So much fun tweaking my G23. Not a Glock guy...but damn they are fun to mod!
Bob, if you don't plan on using a WML then I'd suggest getting a Glock 22 instead of the 17. That way, with a simple drop in barrel you have both calibers. And of course a drop in 357sig barrel if you're feeling frisky. But it will also give you options in the event of an ammo crunch. That's why I chose the Glock 35 for my bag (as it also has a G34 9mm drop in barrel). And if you have room for the extra barrel length then go for the G35.

If you're going to use a WML on it then forgo the Glocks in 40 S&W.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

David wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 6:47 pm
Bob wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 8:51 pm I'm jonesting for g19 or 17 to go in my Zombie Go Bag. So much fun tweaking my G23. Not a Glock guy...but damn they are fun to mod!
Bob, if you don't plan on using a WML then I'd suggest getting a Glock 22 instead of the 17. That way, with a simple drop in barrel you have both calibers. And of course a drop in 357sig barrel if you're feeling frisky. But it will also give you options in the event of an ammo crunch. That's why I chose the Glock 35 for my bag (as it also has a G34 9mm drop in barrel). And if you have room for the extra barrel length then go for the G35.

If you're going to use a WML on it then forgo the Glocks in 40 S&W.
That's what my G23 is doing...and doing it with cool race parts.

I really just want to do a another Duracoat Zombie gun!
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

I just ordered an optics ready TORO slide kit and a 15 rnd mag for my G3c from www.shoptaurus.com. they are having a 30% off sale. Been on my wish list. I dont have any optic handguns except my TX22. Thought I would give the G3c a try
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Mac66 wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 11:50 am I just ordered an optics ready TORO slide kit and a 15 rnd mag for my G3c from www.shoptaurus.com. they are having a 30% off sale. Been on my wish list. I dont have any optic handguns except my TX22. Thought I would give the G3c a try
Nice. Look forward to hearing your thoughts when you get it and test it out.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

My G3c Toro slide came today. I mounted a Holosun dot on it. Also got a 15 rnd mag which came with a spacer. I'm probably heading back up to the woods house this week so will try and wring it out.

Shown with the 15 rnd mag

And the regular 12 rnd mag

Still have to get used to the R dot sight.

And I have to figure out what to carry it in. I usually just slip my G3c into my waistband, or carry in a paddle holster. The pistol won't fit the holster with the optic mounted though I may be able to modify/cut the Kydex so it'll fit.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

I did some tweaking of my holster for the g3c and got it to fit with the optic. I'm up at the woods house for a couple days so I'll try it out tomorrow or Friday.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Shot the g3c with the Toro slide/optic.

-10 yards using the 15 round mag offhand.... Didn't need to adjust the sight. FTF on the last two rounds.

It should be noted that the barrel in the new slide was very tight (as it was with the original slide) So much so that I had to "fit it" with a rubber mallet to get it to seat. Had to keep working it and banging it until it would seat itself. Then working it by hand about a hundred times loosened it up enough to function. The jam mentioned above was the only malfunction.

-10 yards slow fire offhand with the 12 rnd mag.

Then back and forth between the 12 & 15 rnd mags 3 more times.

Total of 108 rnds fired.

Weather was 34'F with bright sunlight reflecting off the snow on the ground. Had the dot turned up just about all the way to see it.

Overall its easy to shoot a red dot if you can find it. Didn't really try any drills, still getting used to finding the dot and holding it still. I won't be carrying it anytime soon for that reason. We'll see what the future holds and whether I can get oriented shooting a RDS. It's also harder to shoot a RDS on a centerfire than on a rimfire. My TX22 competition is easy shoot, pretty much no recoil. Recoil on the G3c makes the RDS jump around a lot.

First group...at 10 yards that should be one ragged hole. Trying to find the wandering red dot. I'll have to shoot it off a rest to zero the sight in.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Sounds like your having fun with it. I haven't spent enough time with a RD to get comfortable with it...on a pistol. Back in the early 90's we had them on the duty 870's and I liked them quite well.

Ronin.45
Board Founder

Post by Ronin.45 »

I've been pretty busy buying and upgrading since I've been off the board.
Completely rebuilt my Bergara B14r precision rifle. New optic, new barrel, new chassis, and new bipod
I just got a new Tippmann Micro Compact and have been optimizing it. Only need Hiperfire to get me a trigger.
My bedside Glock 17 has been moved to competition duty and replaced by a Shadow Systems XR920.
I even picked up a Christensen Arms Ranger for a lightweight suppressor host bolt gun.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Ronin.45 wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 7:05 am My bedside Glock 17 has been moved to competition duty and replaced by a Shadow Systems XR920.
I wasn't familiar with that pistol and had to look it up. Looks nice, what made you switch to it from the G17?