Newest gun or latest upgrade

The section on firearms, knives, bows, improvised and other weaponry. Defensive tactics, self defense, martial arts. Home and personal security. Includes ballistics, modifications and maintenance.
David
Administrator

Re: Newest gun or latest upgrade

Post by David »

Gnepig wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:10 am Sadly I have not but I have a few new to me guns that have not been tried. Seems time has been fleeting or I have become just a hoarder.
I know the feeling. I still haven't shot my new P30 or P229. I've tried to get out to the range a couple of times but stuff comes up.

I have shot the G21 though and just like when I carried one at work, it's a solid, accurate pistol. You'll enjoy it when you can shoot it. If we do an SEP gathering this fall (and I'd like to) be a good chance to bring our G21's. It's my woods carry pistol now anyway so it fits the role quite nicely.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Mac66
Board Founder

Taurus Competition Kit

Post by Mac66 »

Taurus was having 20% off St. Patrick day sale which put the TX22 competition kit down from $200 to $160. I bought two TX22s a few years ago with the idea of converting one to the target model.

After two weeks of waiting it finally showed up. It features a heavy, threaded barrel w/optics plate mounted to it and a cut out slide. Basically you just get slide, bbl and spring.

Looks pretty cool and a pretty clever idea by the Taurus folks. I'm trying to think of another company that offers a target conversion kit for their 22.

The barrel is longer and way heavier than the regular bbl.

And I finally figured out why the slide is cut out on top. It's so the heavy barrel w/optics plate
can be taken out. Unlike the reg which takes the barrel out from underneath like most pistols.

Now if I can only remember what I did with the Holosun optic my son gave me a couple years ago. Didn't have anything to mount it on until now.

Still recovering from my knee surgery but I hope to get up to the woods house Easter weekend and will shoot it then.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Hey....I found the Holosun optic. My first optic on a pistol

Now with Ar15 flash hider coolness. :lol:

David
Administrator

Post by David »

That is a significant difference in the barrels. I'll be interested to see how it shoots compared to the standard version.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

I shot the competition TX today unfortunately it was 29 degrees and snowing heavily so my groups at 15 yards weren't very good... maybe 3-4". I was also using fed HV 36gr hp and Winchester 333 HV 36gr hp which is all I had available at the woods house. Not to mention that ammo is at least 20 + years old

I'm thinking 40 gr standard velocity would do better.

I shot it against my reg TX and groups weren't much bigger with reg sights on the reg TX. Hmmm...whats going on here?

If the weather clears up I'll shoot it tomorrow.
Last edited by Mac66 on Sun Apr 09, 2023 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Checking out the Comp for tomorrow I noticed the optics plate was loose. That could account for the large groups. Took it apart, loctighted the screws and remounted it.

Digging through my ammo stash I found a brick of CCI standard velocity which I will use tomorrow. Should tighten things up a bit.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Got out this morning and shot the TX competition. A little better luck with groups...

Best group was this one.

Used this ammo at 10 yards, seated table off a rest. As you can see the sight shoots high/right. I didn't have the sight adjustment tool with me to correct it.

Mostly 5 shot groups though the center target in the first photo is 10 shots.

I did find that if I turned the intensity of the dot down it became smaller, less fuzzy and more precise. Of course it was also harder to see in bright sunlight.

I also shot the reg TX with reg sights. The reg sights aren't very precise. Some groups were about 2-3" if I really buckled down and took my time.

Weather today started out 32 degrees and was probably 44 and sunny by the time I shot. It did get up to 60 later in the day.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Between the better ammo and tightened sight it looks like it's all heading in the right direction. Got say I'm pretty impressed with the 20 year old ammo though still functioning well even if not as accurate.

Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

David wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 10:02 am Between the better ammo and tightened sight it looks like it's all heading in the right direction. Got say I'm pretty impressed with the 20 year old ammo though still functioning well even if not as accurate.
On the other hand I shot that old stuff with a loose optic so we'll have to see. I didn't re shoot it after I tightened the optics plate.
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

Just added a very cool, sleek little laser to the Zombie AR Pistol.

https://youtu.be/A0TH04D5fF4