Newest gun or latest upgrade

The section on firearms, knives, bows, improvised and other weaponry. Defensive tactics, self defense, martial arts. Home and personal security. Includes ballistics, modifications and maintenance.
Mac66
Board Founder

Re: Newest gun or latest upgrade

Post by Mac66 »

Mac66 wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 5:12 pm
David wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 10:02 am Between the better ammo and tightened sight it looks like it's all heading in the right direction. Got say I'm pretty impressed with the 20 year old ammo though still functioning well even if not as accurate.
On the other hand I shot that old stuff with a loose optic so we'll have to see. I didn't re shoot it after I tightened the optics plate.
I have re shot the TX competition since tightening the optics plate. It is a lot more accurate and pretty much what I expected.

I'd post pics but Imgur went titsup on me the last couple days and froze all my photos. Don't know what's wrong with it.

I have some 60 year old 22 ammo that still goes bang and some from the 1940s and 50's that still works most of the time. More frequent misfires but what can you expect from 70+ year old ammo?

Imgur is back up...here's some off hand groups @ 10 yards...

Best 5 shot group...

Erich

Post by Erich »

I liked my S&W CSX so well that I bought a second one from a friend who'd bought a new one, tried it and didn't love it. :)
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Gnepig wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:10 am
David wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:23 am
Gnepig wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:51 pm The sights are flat out- no life left in them, I will have to replace them also (if I want them to glo). I am excited to go shoot this one.

$400 bucks for a full sized Glock in 45acp is an awesome deal- ever since I seen Daves post about it I couldn't think about anything else!..
Other than the 3 G21's They didn't have any other police trade-ins left when we were there this past Monday.

Altho there ammo prices are kinda high they had some, also had a lot of guns.
SCT is a cool place, I will be going back.
Have you replaced the sights? Have you had a chance to shoot it?
I have not even shot it yet, work has been crazy. Thanx for reminding me that I even have it- I will try to make it to the range soon.

That is a cool G35 with the fun sticks, the color is awesome. How does it shoot?..
You ever shoot that G21?

Just had mind out to the range again last week. That 230+P Federal HST has some bark-n-bite to it. :)
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Saw another Sig P229 that I wanted to get. Below are some pics I snapped.

The night sights are still good. Not 'brand new' bright but serviceable. I'd say they've reached the hill and are on the down slope but still near the top. The barrel has smiley wear marks so it's been shot some. No marks on the slide or frame though so it looks to have been well taken care of by it's previous owner.

Has an ACUxxxxx SN.

No markings on the slide other than Sig Sauer P229 on the left side.

Barrel marked 40 S&W on the right side.

Trigger in DA and SA seems pretty much about the same as my other P229, which is to say 'nice'. Smooth with no gritty feel.

Came with three mags and an IWB holster (no name). Got it for $500.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Traded a Glock that I think I had around $500ish into. Deal came with 4 mags and 2 holsters (one is a Desantis leather OWB and the other a no-name IWB. Only blemish is a small Nick around the ejection port. Nothing really to care about. Barrel has very little wear visible. Guy said he put 50 rounds on it and previous owner about 300ish rounds. Has night sights that are quite bright. I'm estimating a build date of around 2014 but I've sent an email to Sig for confirmation.

I think this is going to be my new trail gun. Small and compact enough to be comfortable to carry while walking the trails but chambered in 40 S&W which is sufficient for my area. Feel pretty good about the deal.

David
Administrator

Post by David »

I checked and mags are from $35 to $45+ depending on where you buy them. The OWB holster is a Desantis F.A.M.S. (Federal Air Marshals) and is listed at $90 on their website. Don't know about the no-name IWB. Overall I think I got a good deal and I'm happy about it. Now to get it to the range. :)

Mac66
Board Founder

Fanny Pack

Post by Mac66 »

I bought a fanny pack off shoptaurus for 20% off over labor day. Been carrying for 7 or 8 years IWB with just a belt clip which works fine. But...when up at the woods house riding the ATV, minibikes, tractor or doing chores the IWB tends to work loose.

I've also used an old Walkman case to carry when riding my bike and when doing chores but it's worn out.

Fanny pack is kind of a misnomer in that most people carry it in front. Probably should properly be called a Nut Sack. :roll: Anyway....

It has three pockets. One close to the body with velcro in it presumably to attach a velcro'd holster. A divided main compartment and a smaller pouch on the outside. It also has a velcro piece/panel on the top of the pack that you can put stuff under and through it. Not even sure what to call it or what you would use it for.

So...I put my G3c in the back pocket next to my body. It was very comfortable to carry but impossible to draw. The zipper kind of wraps over the back and you can't find it. Next I carried in the main pocket. Dual opposing zippers made it easy to unzip and get to the gun.

Tried it the gun butt up (laying on it's slide) and butt down. Both requires excessive manipulation of the gun to get a good grip on it. One really needs a holster in it to hold the pistol in a drawing position. I guess I shouldn't have assumed it would allow you to carry in a proper position and maybe even include a holster with it. Be that as it may it's useful for carrying a gun and stuff when you need to have a gun with you and don't have means to carry on/in a belt. Not so good for actually drawing a gun out of.

I'm probably going to return it and buy one cheaper but more suitable for carrying a handgun from Amazon. One that comes with a holster or at least a strap for securing the gun in the proper position to draw it.
Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

When I was geocaching a lot, I used a fanny pack to carry my supplies. I really liked it, but just couldn't get into a habit of using one outside of the hiking trails.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Used one for years (and still have it) and it worked great.

Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

I'm jonesting for g19 or 17 to go in my Zombie Go Bag. So much fun tweaking my G23. Not a Glock guy...but damn they are fun to mod!