Sleeping in the car

From clothing to man-made to commercial shelters.
Mac66
Board Founder

Re: Sleeping in the car

Post by Mac66 »

I grew up with vans. My first new car was a van which I turned into a camper. I've built several over the years. My wife and I had camper vans until the kids were born then we moved to a travel trailer. Our current trailer is a 28 footer.

If it was just me and I was hitting the road full time I think I would opt for pop up type pickup camper and a small motorcycle/scooter to get around on.
bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

For myself, any trip over 100 miles poses a possibility of having to sleep in the car. Yes, and if you live long enough, you will reach that stage in life. I have average about 300 miles a month total in driving for the last few years. Now, I have to drive about 350 miles one way to take care of a family member.

All I need is a clean car, a pillow, blanket, eats and water. I see plenty of people driving over the speed limit with all kinds of large and small trailers - and have seen my share of them in accidents and broken down.

My dad boasted that in his 80s, he would drive 800 miles non stop. Me? I take a rest break every 45 minutes.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

I grew up with vans. My dad had one and the first chance I had after getting out of college bought one. They were all fixed up as campers. Eventually we bought a travel trailer and pulled it behind the vans. The vans were used for quick trips, the trailers for longer ones. Apparently that had some influence on the kids since my 2nd son bought a van last year and converted it into a camper. He and his wife have taken some multi week trips in it and seem to like it.

As for driving, I'm 66 and still drive straight through from Michigan to Florida, back and forth a couple times a year. 17 hours one way. We pack food, water and coffee so eat on the road. 3 stops for gas. Get pretty used to it.
tom mac
Board Founder

Post by tom mac »

Wife and I split up the NY to South trip.... on a MC! ( only a year older than you Mac )
500 miles is about max for the bike. We always do a stop in VA for a day . ( safer to ride MC in day, no deer usu till dusk )

Car is not an issue at all. Don't mind driving at night prob due to all those midnight shifts. :)
You can't fix stupid !
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

tom mac wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:59 am Wife and I split up the NY to South trip.... on a MC! ( only a year older than you Mac )
500 miles is about max for the bike. We always do a stop in VA for a day . ( safer to ride MC in day, no deer usu till dusk )

Car is not an issue at all. Don't mind driving at night prob due to all those midnight shifts. :)
My hat is off to you for doing that trip. My son is trying to get me to do a cross country MC trip with him. I think not, those days are over. :cry:
tom mac
Board Founder

Post by tom mac »

Well a comfy bike makes a BIG difference... a custom seat helps.
It's an St1300 ( honda ) little brother of Goldwing, very easy on the ride with full fairing/windshield.
Dgap small copy.jpg
Dgap small copy.jpg (74.23 KiB) Viewed 3849 times
( Deals Gap, TN )

The whole thing of any trip is to know your max and split up the trip to where you are not beat up. We always do about 400 and then ( knowing where we end up ) get to rest and get a good dinner.
You can't fix stupid !