vehicle maintenance

A general discussion area for topics not specifically covered elsewhere on the board. NO politics. If the topic would fit it a specific section please post in that specific section.
bdcochran

vehicle maintenance

Post by bdcochran »

When I was a kid, the car was taken in for an oil change and a lube. Some years ago, a mechanic told me that cars weren't lubed any more. Well, you don't have to lube, if you don't want to.

I bring AT205 in a spray container to the shop when I have an oil change. I provide the following list of points to spray under the car:
The following seals under the car to be sprayed with AT 205:
rubber seals
rubber bushings
boot
top of strut
torsion bar
cv axle
rubber boot
rubber control arm bushings

The spray acts as a lubricant on rubber. If the rubber gets old and cracks, the whole system protected may fail.

Of course, I end up lubricating the rubber parts under the hood. If you don't to spray, you can use a cloth.
tom mac
Board Founder

Re: vehicle maintenance

Post by tom mac »

Good idea on the rubber covers like over cvj...
many of the old ports that were lubed have been closed off with threaded plug ( which can be pulled and replaced with grease fittings )
You can't fix stupid !
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Car Maintenance You Don’t Need—Including Most Every Kind of “Flush”

https://bottomlineinc.com/life/car-main ... d-of-flush
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

Always used to armor-all hoses etc...
bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

Comment on transmission servicing.
1. most people don't.
2. never flush.
3. if your car has a filter, at least have the filter with you if it turns out that there are bunch of particles in the fluid that is removed.
4. even sealed transmissions should be serviced. YOU research that you measure how much fluid is removed and replace only the same amount.
5. never over fill.
6. I wrote and asked for years how often the fluid should be replaced (you only can drain out so much. that is ok. measure how much comes out. if you need to, just set another appointment after some driving to drain more. just do not flush.) Never had a answer from the so-called experts. I figure every 2 - 2.5 years whether you are driving highway miles or city miles. I drive about 3000 miles a year. So, every other oil change, when the car is on the rack, the lubrication is done and some transmission fluid drained and replaced. You may have to have a special transmission fluid for your car - check it out. I simply take in
Toyota fluid and a spare filter if it turns out the existing one should be replaced.
7. my father and two brothers had the same model car and each got over 225,000 miles. I have had mine for 17 years.
aerynsun

Post by aerynsun »

bdcochran wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:43 am When I was a kid, the car was taken in for an oil change and a lube. Some years ago, a mechanic told me that cars weren't lubed any more. Well, you don't have to lube, if you don't want to.

I bring AT205 in a spray container to the shop when I have an oil change. I provide the following list of points to spray under the car:
The following seals under the car to be sprayed with AT 205:
rubber seals
rubber bushings
boot
top of strut
torsion bar
cv axle
rubber boot
rubber control arm bushings

The spray acts as a lubricant on rubber. If the rubber gets old and cracks, the whole system protected may fail.

Of course, I end up lubricating the rubber parts under the hood. If you don't to spray, you can use a cloth.
I'm familiar with at205. You might also want to look into FluidFilm. It also protects rubber and controls rust.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

And don't forget about your cars extended warranty :lol:
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
tom mac
Board Founder

Post by tom mac »

how could I .... prob get one call a day
You can't fix stupid !
bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

I get calls to extend my warranty every month.

I drive about 3000 miles a year. 6 months until the next state inspection. Will drive about 500 miles at high speed this week to deal with a family matter and hopefully will burn out the carbon deposits. The check engine light is on and I have consulted with my trusty mechanic. If a high speed tune up doesn't work, he has a flush system device so the spark plugs, etc don't have to be removed if it is a simple fuel injector problem. I also have a couple of spare fuel injectors that are good. It is probably not the catalytic converter. If it is, it is simply bolted on and not welded on and can be cleaned with detergent in a sink or a bucket.

And, if you think I am cheap, my son paid $2000 for a used Toyota (branded with a US company name) and has driven over 100,000 miles in it on business. At more than 50 cents a mile allowed by the government, he makes money just driving!
tom mac
Board Founder

Post by tom mac »

I use Seafoam in my gas tank every now and then.. keeps injectors clean
like everything else, follow directions and not use in excess ... I use it about every 6months
You can't fix stupid !