Who fixes their own stuff?

Here you can post your DIY projects or links/videos.
Mac66
Board Founder

Re: Who fixes their own stuff?

Post by Mac66 »

Actually this thread i.e, Who fixes their own stuff should be in the DIY section.
Last edited by Mac66 on Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Done.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Getting back on topic... I have an old (30 years) riding lawnmower that was given to me about 15 years ago. I ran it until the engine froze up last year. Everything else still works on it. That's when I picked up the old Craftsman riding mower and fixed it. Come spring I'm going to try and replace the engine and get it up and running. I could use it at the new house. It has a pretty big lawn, well dirt right now but it will have a pretty big lawn. A new engine will run about $350. Unless I find another give away riding mower or something cheaper that seems like a good option.
bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

Bob » Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:18 pm
The invention of YouTube has me fixing all kinds of things: Dwash, Toilets, Microwave, Lights, Washer/Dryer, etc..

Absolutely correct.

If you still cannot do the repair for some reason like not having the proper tools, you still have received information that can reduce the expenses. Example. My house was built in 1950. Some time thereafter, an owner decided to do a structure in the small kitchen with a cut out for a certain oven. Finally, it died under my ownership. I had to replace it with the same oven or spend a lot of money completely redoing the kitchen. I found it. Had it installed. Ten years later, It needed to have the broiler door fixed or spend upwards of $1000 for a new oven. In the meantime, the oven company had changed ownership and the oven was discontinued. Nothing was going to fit.

The professional sent out was a kid who didn't know how to find parts. totally a useless human being. I went on line and found a parts dealer 2000 miles away who could get a shipment of parts in 30 days from the PRC. Fine. The parts came in. It required two people to install. Ok. Had two people. Still saved a lot of money.
Gnepig
Board Founder

Post by Gnepig »

Raised in a junk yard, been fixin stuff all my life... Been fixin motorcycles for a living since 96, somewhere in their 18 years at Harley Davidson.

Installation of your ignition module probably required it to be programed to your vehicle/hooked to there computer= that's why it was more money. That is not usually something you can do at home.

Polaris does not make good equipment, I would reconsider spending so much money on it= would be cheaper to upgrade to something newer.
Any of the Jap ATVs are good, Yam's seem to be better than most.
... Just a Dude...
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Gnepig wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:34 am Raised in a junk yard, been fixin stuff all my life... Been fixin motorcycles for a living since 96, somewhere in their 18 years at Harley Davidson.

Installation of your ignition module probably required it to be programed to your vehicle/hooked to there computer= that's why it was more money. That is not usually something you can do at home.

Polaris does not make good equipment, I would reconsider spending so much money on it= would be cheaper to upgrade to something newer.
Any of the Jap ATVs are good, Yam's seem to be better than most.
The Polaris ATV fix is on hold until I can figure out what to do. I figure I can pull it from the dealer and fix the rest myself.

In the mean time, I dragged out the Honda Trail 90s and have been going through them. I need to drain the old gas, clean the carbs and gas lines, change the oil and spark plugs and get a battery. If/when I get one running I'll move the plug and battery to the next one and get it running. One of them needs an ignition switch (about $16 at Amazon) and a rear wheel (current wheel spokes are broken). All need tires but I have a couple sets of new tires in my shed.
bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

Fixing stuff. Periodically, I (notice the word "I") am the one to service the bicycles. The girlfriend's father was a professional racer. However, she does not service her Peugot. Back flat tire. Tire had gone bad. Figured out how to take off the wheel. Knew it needed a new liner and tire. I just don't keep replacing or have the storage space. So I took the wheel into the shop. Pricing was 5 times what my dad paid for my first two wheeler about 70 years ago. The bonus was getting 6 free used inner tubes. I make ranger bands (if you don't know what it is, look it up) and exercise equipment. So, exercised at 9 p.m. last night with a used inner tube. They last about 2 years when compared to the medical bands which are good only for a few months.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

I've been working on the Hondas. Its been very cold up here (in the teens) and I don't have a heated place to work on them. I set up the kero heater in the garage but it doesn't get it up very warm in these temps. I did get the gas tanks off and the carb off. In the process of cleaning them inside. If if gets back up to around 30 (which is balmy in comparison) I'll put them back on.

BTW, it's 9 degrees today (Sunday 2/7)
bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

I have to fix my own computer. The problem was straight forward. The keyboard, the graphics and the buggie Microsoft sign-in software:
1. run virus scans by competitors.
2. check programs for junkie programs and check last updates of programs
3. update all programs
4. run free scans to delete duplicate files, bad shortcuts
5. save data
6. disconnect and reconnect to internet
7. check usb ports and move around external gear
8. record the identity of the programs that could not be saved and would have to be reinstalled
9. put the bookmarks on a usb key in duplicate
10. make sure I had my backup on manuals, passwords, address file,
11. wade through "fix its" on the internet, some of which were for previous releases of software and operating systems
12, cross fingers and run microsoft operating system re-install after working on the BIOS did not work
13. when the windows 10 was reinstalled, I reinstalled all the programs.
14. when the two attached Brother printers were not working after following the detailed instructions on the internet, I had to call. The problem was two mis instructions by Brother on line. I said if the technician ever pointed the errors to the Brother IT head, she would be out of a job because the errors would be corrected and not one would have to call.

Not bad for a guy who had to use telephones when the receiver had no dial and you had to click three times to get an operator, who was born when there was no internet and you took the tubes from the television set and checked them for free at the drug store every Saturday morning.

F--k high technology.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

With our fast approaching time to move into the new house I'm glad I know how to do things like putting up lights (in the garage, laundry room and driveway), ceiling fans, chandeliers, and window treatments. Also glad I know how to do things like fix the sprinkler system and keep the lawn equipment up to snuff.

It saves a lot of money for the things that are above my pay grade. :!:
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".