Off road mini bikes

The section for discussion on all things involving transportation; vehicles, boats, planes and more.
Mac66
Board Founder

Re: Off road mini bikes

Post by Mac66 »

And....I took the fake "tank" off to see what was underneath. Nothing but the two silver support bars. Those aren't structural so could be removed and a real gas tank slipped other the center bar. Of course you would have to weld supports onto it to hold the tank. Or you could run a couple cross pieces across the tabs to make a rack for a tank bag.

tom mac
Board Founder

Post by tom mac »

yes.... I'd modify the tank or replace it with a storage box / semi hard duffel
You can't fix stupid !
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

tom mac wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:51 am yes.... I'd modify the tank or replace it with a storage box / semi hard duffel
Found this on-line. Kind of the right size/shape and fits in front of the seat according to the pics I found.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WCVQXT6/?c ... _lig_dp_it

tom mac
Board Founder

Post by tom mac »

nice... wonder if a small MSR bottle would hold gas for a bit extra , it would fit
You can't fix stupid !
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

tom mac wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:33 am nice... wonder if a small MSR bottle would hold gas for a bit extra , it would fit
I have a couple MSR bottles and some small gas cans I used to carry on my ATV or dual sport motorcycle. I could strap something to the rear rack I'm sure. The alternative is to install a real gas tank on the top tube. A lot of guys then take off the stock tank but that looks funky, causes a big gap. I think leaving it on as a spare would look better. I'm sure I could rig up some sort of Y valve to the carb.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Installed some mud flaps on both bikes to keep the spray down. Also did some speed runs.

Probably about a 15-20 mph wind out of the west today. Temp was about 65 F. Riding was east-west direction on flat grass surface.

Bike 1 did about 22.7 into the wind but 26.7 with the wind at the factory throttle screw setting.

Bike 2 did 21.2 into the wind 25.9 with the wind.
I backed the throttle screw out just a bit, maybe 1/8 inch on #2 and it did 28.3 into the wind and 32.6 with the wind. 32 mph feels pretty fast on these things.

There's a lot of screw left so I'm guessing these things will do 40 mph with the screw out all the way. That's plenty fast on balloon tires which get squirrely at high speeds so I don't think I'll go there. Tire pressure was at the recommended 10#s.

That grassy area is actually a spillway for the river. It's about 1 mile long and a hundred yards wide. So a little over 2 miles all the way around. Makes a good test track
Last edited by Mac66 on Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:58 am, edited 3 times in total.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

dang, double post
Gnepig
Board Founder

Post by Gnepig »

Thats so cool!.. Did you test your mph with the gps on your phone?
... Just a Dude...
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Gnepig wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:09 pm Thats so cool!.. Did you test your mph with the gps on your phone?
Actually I downloaded a speedometer app onto my phone so I could see how fast I was going. Fastened my phone to the handle bars using a mount off my bicycle.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Another installment of Off Road Minibikes!

Took the minibikes up to the new house this weekend. First time riding in the woods. They are fun and easy to ride. The wide balloon tires makes a big difference in the sand, gravel, dirt and ruts. Even my wife commented on how much easier they were to ride than the Honda Trail 90s. She never liked riding the Hondas.

This the main drive from the blacktop back to our driveway. It is 7/10s of a mile long. I drove out to the blacktop and back first.

Of course I had to visit the food plot. Planting will be started the end of the month.

In front of the many log piles I've been whittling away at for the last 5 years

And in front of the beaver pond at the south end of the property. The property line runs horizontally from that tall pine tree in the upper right hand corner of the photo.

One of the rutty hills. That trail leads up onto a ridge which connects to the beaver pond two track.

Looking up the beaver pond road. It runs from a high ridge (where the food plot is) down to the beaver pond.

All in all a fun ride. Looking forward to taking them up the road to the state land in the future. In the mean time, they are pretty handy to bop around on. And as this point I don't see any need to modify them for better speed/performance. They go fast enough and are powerful enough to go up hills. The forums and facebook page on these things is all about making them faster. I just don't see the point. They will never be anything more than a cheap Chinese minibike you're not going to do anything to change that except make them into a cheap Chinese minibike that goes real fast and is probably unsafe. In other words, don't fix it if it ain't broke.

If anything, spend money on something functional like mirrors or tail/brake lights. It would be handy to have mirrors on these things i.e, trying to keep track of my wife riding behind me. And tail/brake lights for sudden stops when riding together.
Last edited by Mac66 on Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.