What have you done this week to forward your prepping goals 2021

A general discussion area for topics not specifically covered elsewhere on the board. NO politics. If the topic would fit it a specific section please post in that specific section.
tom mac
Board Founder

Re: What have you done this week to forward your prepping goals 2021

Post by tom mac »

hope you like it... new toys are always fun.

Latest prep goal here;
Rotated some of my stocked dry good items... moved older to the pantry shelf's to get used down the road.
replaced older items with new containers and o2 depleters.
( these items are stored in seltzer bottles, so I only give them a max 5 yr storage ) ( all items dated on outside for easy rotation )
You can't fix stupid !
bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

At my brother's suggestion, I took photographs of the gear that I am making available to relatives and near relatives.
My avocation has been the refurbishing of old tools/axes/hatchets. I have offered some. Today, I pulled out two new small and unused compressors.

Another project is reducing cds and cassettes to usb keys. When I don't access items like that for years, it is time to act. I had previously, about 10-15 years ago, sent most of my cassettes to my now deceased mother in law. My girl friend has a large container of cds and movies that she has not watched in 15 years. After I get rid of mine, I will ask her to go through hers. Only I have cd players. She doesn't have one any more.
fishingjeff
Board Founder

Post by fishingjeff »

Well I jioned the "OLIGHT" owners. Got me a 1R2 EOS. Nice on the truck key ring.
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

OK - so had a power out last week for 8 hours!

+ Had frozen water 2L bottles as "Cold batteries (and soted cool water) to keep fridge/freezer cold longer. Win!

- Found out I have come to rely far too much on cheap disposable flashlights!!!! Need to do a complete aaa battery overall on my emergency lights!!!!
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Bob wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:40 am - Found out I have come to rely far too much on cheap disposable flashlights!!!! Need to do a complete aaa battery overall on my emergency lights!!!!
What was the issue?
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

All of the batteries were dead!

And the lights had migrated from their standard locations....
Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

I ordered some more Olights (lanterns and bulb lights) from the flash sale. We added a couple Life Straws and replaced some expired water purify tablets.
tom mac
Board Founder

Post by tom mac »

Bob wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:40 am
+ Had frozen water 2L bottles as "Cold batteries (and soted cool water) to keep fridge/freezer cold longer. Win!
Thanks... reminded me to make a few ice pillows.
( I rinse and then 3/4 refill the bladders from the 5 liter boxes of white wine )
they fit nicely in the cooler bottom and a filled freezer is more efficient... mostly for upcoming bbq party
You can't fix stupid !
bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

A banker's box is a cardboard box that is used for storing files

Since March, 2021, I have given away or trashed the equivalent of over 100 boxes from the home and garage. The containers are gone as well. That accumulation is not unusual for a 40 year occupation. When a couple of relatives living together in valley died, the city sent two dump trucks. There had been nothing salvageable.

I need a few weeks of evenings after dark (the attic has to cool) to repackage what remains in the attic for 10 year storage - and identify some more things to toss.

Interestingly, I reviewed my grommet repair kit and videos on tarp repairs. If a serious situation develops, one would expect that grommeted tarps would be needed. And, if people are human, some will need repair or modification.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Going through the inventory and oiling/greasing the rails.

I'm glad I did as the Olight on one of the 19X for HD was dead. This is the one that charges by the cable and magnet. First time I'm charging it up since the initial charge. It was one of the HD pistols located around the house so I'm not sure how long the initial charge lasted. My bad and something I'll correct from now on by making this my night stand pistol and the 19X I was using (with the TLR-8) will replace it in that HD location. That way I can keep an eye on how long the charge lasts.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".