What have you done this week to forward your prepping goals 2021

A general discussion area for topics not specifically covered elsewhere on the board. NO politics. If the topic would fit it a specific section please post in that specific section.
Strayz

Re: What have you done this week to forward your prepping goals 2021

Post by Strayz »

Dug out the lawn mower and getting it ready, Still a foot of snow in the front and back yard.

Cleaned up the Garage.

Moved things around the house to make more room and look more like the Jones' next door.
Sometimes things need to be said, Other times things must be done.
tom mac
Board Founder

Post by tom mac »

dug out the mower, had stabil in tank ( yes, petcock on fuel and run carb dry ) , started right up and cleaned the rear yard already... snow ? on the day I did it it was 55 in NY
You can't fix stupid !
bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

My next youngest brother says that I am always speaking about "cleaning out".
1. I can now walk from one end of the attic to the other end. 11 large plastic storage boxes available for the maid or the gardener to take home.
2. I assembled items to go to charity when the lockdown finally ends about the middle of June 2021,.
tom mac
Board Founder

Post by tom mac »

Started to recycle/rotate my saved gas now it's warmer.... first 5 gal jug went into the old car.
Need to buy some new Stabil ( only good 2 yrs after opened if you didn't know )
You can't fix stupid !
David
Administrator

Post by David »

I mentioned in the 'New gun' thread that I purchased a new Taurus TX22. Consider this as forwarding my preps as I didn't have a .22 pistol and it seems like a very handy pistol to have.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

I finished dealing with my optics. Every unit has been tagged, extra lens caps and carry bags either received or on order. 7 units given away or marked for future gift giving. I linked up with a gun club president and made arrangements to donate some gear for its annual auction.

I had been attempting to give a fully functioning swamp cooler on wheels to a battered woman's shelter. No one is taking electronics donations so I gave the unit to my gardener today.

Part of prepping is reviewing what you have and downsizing as appropriate. When you live in the same place for 40 years, you have tackle things - getting rid of what cannot be repaired or is demonstrably inferior to what is on the market.
Mac66
Board Founder

Kero heaters

Post by Mac66 »

Just picked up a pair of Kerosene heaters off our local gun forum for $20. Included 2 cans of kero and some spare wicks.

I really like kero heaters as a standby emergency heat. I have a couple large ones, one I bought at a garage sale for $10 and one that was given to me before Y2K. I've used them a couple times during winter power outages and occasionally in my family room when the temps go below zero to keep things toasty.

These will likely be used at the new house either in the cabin or future storage building. Eventually I will also have the large heaters there when we move up full time.

For $20, I couldn't pass up the deal.

David
Administrator

Re: Kero heaters

Post by David »

Mac66 wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 9:50 am Just picked up a pair of Kerosene heaters off our local gun forum for $20. Included 2 cans of kero and some spare wicks.

I really like kero heaters as a standby emergency heat. I have a couple large ones, one I bought at a garage sale for $10 and one that was given to me before Y2K. I've used them a couple times during winter power outages and occasionally in my family room when the temps go below zero to keep things toasty.

These will likely be used at the new house either in the cabin or future storage building. Eventually I will also have the large heaters there when we move up full time.

For $20, I couldn't pass up the deal.

Those things really work well. I used them when I was overseas in Turkey. I lived off base for a year and the building didn't have heat. And it did get quite cold in the winter. So I bought one of those heaters and it really warmed up a room nicely. I'd forgotten all about that till I saw your post. Little nostalgia, lol.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
tom mac
Board Founder

Post by tom mac »

Those look brand new compared to the one I have... but they still work well.
good find
You can't fix stupid !
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

tom mac wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 8:26 am Those look brand new compared to the one I have... but they still work well.
good find
A little dusty but otherwise like new. Heck there was still $20+ kero in the cans. One can is almost full, the other about 1/4 full.