What have you done this week to forward your prepping goals 2021

A general discussion area for topics not specifically covered elsewhere on the board. NO politics. If the topic would fit it a specific section please post in that specific section.
bdcochran

Re: What have you done this week to forward your prepping goals 2021

Post by bdcochran »

Every two years, the car is required to be smoged. It is 16 years old. Only 117,000 miles. I have known for almost 2 years I would need to get the smog controls fixed and a real id act driver's license. Bit the bullet this week and had to replace the headlight bulbs. Could have waited, but I had the time.

My state charges about $31 per thousand dollars of car value per year for registration. The testing fee, assuming you fail once, is about $80. Ouch. I paid $159 registration for a car worth about $5000/ The smog guy said he sees a lot of people being charged $1000 a year registration fee. To replace three hoses was another $180. I watched, it took two guys and $30 to replace the $70 light bulbs in the head lights. Days of the $5 bulbs are gone forever.

The Boy Scouts gave a donation receipt for $1050. After Christmas and finding a large box, I will send a box of tools to a niece 200 miles away. Done on the clean out for a few years.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

bdcochran wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:25 pm My state charges about $31 per thousand dollars of car value per year for registration. The testing fee, assuming you fail once, is about $80. Ouch. I paid $159 registration for a car worth about $5000/ The smog guy said he sees a lot of people being charged $1000 a year registration fee.
:shock:

That's ridiculous! I just paid for both of my vehicles a couple of days ago and the total was a tad less than $100 for the year. And I change my own headlight bulbs. Don't recall the cost but it's less than $20 give or take. You just need to make sure you don't touch the bulbs with your fingers because the oils will ruin the bulb when it gets hot, which is quick.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
tom mac
Board Founder

Post by tom mac »

bdcochran wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:25 pm.
I have known for almost 2 years I would need to get .....a real id act driver's license.
Went thru this recently. A real PAIN with the docs the motor vehicle dept wanted. ( wife went down with 4 docs and missed one, she was refused )
Didn't do it.

I just opted for a Passport card with my updated passport. It was $30(?) along with the passport and is a passport that is wallet sized.( not good for international flights )
The heck with the BS from the state.
You can't fix stupid !
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

I check those & charge every 6 months on principle. My XD45 has one and it is a "ready" gun.
Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

tom mac wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:31 am
bdcochran wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:25 pm.
I have known for almost 2 years I would need to get .....a real id act driver's license.
Went thru this recently. A real PAIN with the docs the motor vehicle dept wanted. ( wife went down with 4 docs and missed one, she was refused )
Didn't do it.

I just opted for a Passport card with my updated passport. It was $30(?) along with the passport and is a passport that is wallet sized.( not good for international flights )
The heck with the BS from the state.
We renewed our passport card for the reason that you mentioned. To much of a hassle for the Real ID< Passport card easier, good for 10 years if I remember correctly and serves as an ID for flying around the States and if we decided to go to Canada again, we are good to go.
Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

The big switch over. Everything getting ready for the winter months.

All three saws running and getting winter oil put in them.

Generator running and fuel additives put in for the winter and oil checked.

Snowblower dug out and prepped for potential upcoming winter use.

Lawnmower still not ready for storage. Based on the trees, figuring I have one more mowing before fuel stabilizer and winter preps on the mower.

Tractor is stored with fuel stabil and anti-gel year around.

So, preparing to head out and check vehicles and get them switched over and then winter prep switchovers will be complete.
Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

Maybe I should look at the thread title before I post. I'm only about two years off on this one.