The Prepper’s Guide to Securing Your Home

The section on firearms, knives, bows, improvised and other weaponry. Defensive tactics, self defense, martial arts. Home and personal security. Includes ballistics, modifications and maintenance.
David
Administrator

Re: The Prepper’s Guide to Securing Your Home

Post by David »

I like the idea of the strobe on the roof! Ours has a panic button but it's on the main panel which is pretty much square in the middle of the house. It is LOUD though when it goes off. I have a couple of different motion lights in the backyard but need to replace one. It still works but it's the two-pronged type and only one prong works.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
tom mac
Board Founder

Post by tom mac »

Strobe on roof allows responding police to find house very quickly at night.. it really makes a diff.
I spotted one many years ago ( while working responding to alarm ) and had it added to my system.
You can't fix stupid !
David
Administrator

Post by David »

A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Strayz

Post by Strayz »

Sorry there is one solution for doors. Steel doors and doorjams.

Properly installed. They are going to resist almost every thing that a wooden door will fail to. Also they can be had with security glass to look "Fancy." All those gadgets are just money you could use for fancy dinners.

The other thing I would suggest is windows security film. It is .4 or .8 mil and will stop most attacks on windows when properly installed. Short of a fireaxe or something ridiculous or just having time to work over the window the stuff is amazing. Also note it as storm protection for your homeowners insurance claims. It may get you a discount.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FRLJTTU/re ... ljaz10cnVl

It is sad that 3M no longer produces it I wonder if they just sold the pataten to the market as they are no longer showing n Amazon.
Sometimes things need to be said, Other times things must be done.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

I put this on a different forum but wanted to copy/paste it here as well.
The home needs to have a layered defense. This starts at the curb. Proper lighting can go a long way towards deterring an intruder(s). I have two motion detector lights in the back of the house. One stays on all night, the other is dim until either motion is detected or until 2am when it shuts off. But it will still come on if motion is detected. The driveway has two motion detector lights that stay on at 25% until motion is detected then full. Also keep the night on in front of the door. In addition we have a street light in the median right in front of the house.

Second layer: The house is alarmed, and it's loud enough to wake up the whole neighborhood.

Third layer: Front door has the longer dead both screws. Additionally, the front and door leading to the garage has the STRIKE PLATE attached which will prevent or at least significantly delay an intruder(s).

The Prepper’s Guide to Securing Your Home

Sliding glass doors have the bolts that lock the door to the frame and also prevent lifting.

All of this is to deter, prevent or delay unauthorized entry.

Fourth layer is personal protection equipment. This includes a night stand pistol. In my case it's a Glock 19X with 19+1 rounds and a spare mag. The 19X has a TLR-8. Wife has a Taurus G3 with 17+1 rounds. This is in addition to other firearms I can access in the master bedroom (we both have Sub 2K's available, hers with laser, mine with Convoy S2+ WML). I have body armor from my working days. FAK is available under the bed. BLF-A6 18650 LED light is also on the night stand. Both cell and landline phone available.

Most importantly, everyone in the home knows the plan in the event of a situation.

David
Administrator

Post by David »

David
Administrator

Post by David »

David
Administrator

Post by David »

Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

Updated/upgraded the home security system this holiday season.

It is approcimately 7 feet from my bedside to shotgun.

I have an HK USP, an extra 15 round mag, usually a Walther PPS, and 5 different swords to get me that 7 feet.